All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Conor Gleeson had a shot saved and John Carroll knocked in the rebound. The sides were level around 10 or 11 times until DJ put Jimmy Coogan in for a goal, even after that that Tipp brought it back to a one point margin on two occasions. Kk kicked on again in the last 5 minutes, a real good game from my memory with little between both teams. DJs first match back I think and he was the difference.

1 Like

Very unsavoury scenes that day at the Killinan End. Tipperary fans invading the pitch nearly every time they scored in the 2nd half. Very tough conditions for Ger Cunningham and the Cork backs to operate in.

He was the cunt.

I believe Tony Reddan was assaulted at the 1950 Munster Final by invading Cork fans, or maybe it was 51

They had to put an umpires coat on him to get him away from the animals.

1 Like

Was Tony Reddan the fellow from Galway that Tipperary got in to play in goal?

1 Like

Not the way I remember it Geoff. Cork were 9 points up midway through the second half. Tipp fans had more or less accepted their fate. It was only after Aidan Ryan’s goal that things got messy

@ChairmanDan seems to be very bitter towards Tipperary for an English ex Carlow hurler. How many times have Carlow played Tipperary in the hurling championship?

I watched it recently enough. Even as mild a mannered a man as Jimmy Barry Murphy (on co-commentary duties) was moved to describe the scenes at the Killinan End a disgrace and the worst he’d ever seen at a hurling match.

Something must’ve happened when Tipp used to play in those Wembley tournaments to make him bitter.

I’m from North London. I’m probably the most objective voice on the forum when it comes to Munster hurling matters.

Hi jinks, think the crowds started coming through the wire after Declan Carr’s goal, Pat Fox had more trouble getting away from the Tipp fans than he did from the Cork full back line for his goal.

2 Likes

:ronnyroar:

1 Like

I suppose it was a big novelty and very exciting for the Tipperary fans to be beating Cork in a Munster Final hurling final in Thurles after all the defeats that Cork have inflicted on them in their own back yard down the years, including 1984 and 1990. Is 1991 the only Munster Final win that Tipperary have recorded over Cork in Thurles since 1960?

I think they won every championship game by a maximum of a goal. Small margins.

They definitely met in a minor quarter final in middle part of last decade anyway. A good Tip team with Maher’s etc

Yes dan of the 6 Tipp-Cork Munster Finals held in Thurles in the last 59 years Cork won 4 (84 90, 00 & 06), Tipp 1 & the draw in 87.
You could say a Tipp Cork Munster Final in Thurles is a novelty alright.

Tipperary ran out handy enough winners in the 2nd half against Wexford in the semi final replay after Wexford had Liam Dunne and Mitch Jordan sent off as against Brian O’Meara for Tipperary just before half time.

Mitch Jordan missed a good chance to win it first day

That’s true. Eugene O Neill got 2 goals on a wet day in Croke park.

Had a good weekend of the drawn game. Went to Thurles on the Saturday and was right behind Maurice Fitz as he kicked the equalizer vs Kerry. Up to Dublin then on the Sunday.

We were very lucky in the drawn game. 30 seconds longer and we would have lost. Wexford had serious momentum going. There was a great photo from one of those games of Doc O Connor and Declan Ryan