All Ireland Hurling Championship 2018

Nah, itā€™s just a case of history being written by the victors.

Bitter much?

Did someone burn out your car?

Come on @PhattPike. Spit it out kid. Itā€™ll make you feel better

To be honest Iā€™m not sure he was even diving to get the flick in. I would say Quaid is trying to make himself big in this instance before Harnedy has even released the ball, to try and push him to the left as far as possible. However Harnedy is trying to move against his momentum taking him to the right of the goals, which slows up everything including his strike and Quaid is in the perfect position to react.

A good save*, not a great save Bill.

*Not a save.

1 Like

It was the importance and timing of Quaids intervention that made it so spectacular rather than the feat itself. Limerick finally got the bit of luck that had evaded them in Croke park for years.

3 Likes

No not really. Sure twas against Cork. It was an important but routine enough intervention for a keeper of Quaids talent. Its like the hit on mcinerney. If you go back and watch last yearā€™s final, he was knocked backward in identical fashion early on by a Waterford player. I remember thinking at the time that if Waterford win, theyā€™ll be talking bollox about it for a generation. Waterford lost, and it was airbrushed out of history. Iā€™m not a believer in this constant need among people to mythogise relatively mundane occurrences, and imbue them with some sort of magical significance. If Quaid hadnā€™t tapped that ball away, the chance was already slipping away as cover had got back, and even if heā€™d scored, Cork were done by the paucity of their reserves. I donā€™t read as much into things as people like to. I donā€™t get bitter about losing an aif really, weā€™ve lost plenty. Itā€™s done, was done within a day or two, and life continued. Sin e e. There is a want in some folk that I donā€™t understand. Iā€™ve never understood the raptures a win for a team youā€™ve no direct involvement in can provoke. Like I said, Iā€™d rather win junior b with the club.

7 Likes

Would agree with the vast majority of that but in fairness there was only a couple of minutes left, very big chance Cork would have held on

The pass was a bit high and SH was always struggling . NQ did great to get the block though . Was a huge moment to be fair and will be revered with the art foley save in time .

So youā€™d take a junior b with the club over all Ireland for the county?

One of the disadvantages of having the season done and dusted so early. Conversations like this should be reserved for the dark evenings when thereā€™s fuck all else going on.
FWIW I reckon every team going back decades can probably look back on "pivotal " moments in matches before an AIF. Particularly before the back door came in. Last year for Galway it was probably Cannings point in the semi v Tipp.
What if heā€™d gave missed it and the game had gone to a replay? One never knows.
Quaids save/flick whatever you want to call it only comes into relevance because Limerick won the AIF not the semi. Had Joe either landed that last free or somebody had got a stick to it, it would have no relevance whatsoever.
Iā€™m sure I can go back 30/40 years and there will be a minimum of one moment of a game where the AI champs will look back and say ,"only for that moment, wed never have won.

Thatā€™s a great point re the hit on McInerney last year. Analysing one point games is a bit of a farce. Especially games as chaotic as hurling.

1 Like

Yep

Three points up with three minutes to play, yes youā€™d expect them to hold on alright

If heā€™d gone right heā€™d have been swallowed up by the chap running back in the white helmets

Itā€™s fascinating what a lucid thinker you are.

1 Like

Not necessarily

when weaker hurling counties like Limerick win things, everything has to be magnified x 1000 and eulogised, they loose the run of themselves very quickly. Iā€™ve seen it all before

2 Likes

Yep. Its like a rerun of 1995 at the moment. A team of bachelors, a novelty win, a county starved of success. All of a sudden they invented hurling

I see Mike Casey has confirmed he is a mere 5ft 10ā€™ā€™ ā€¦wasnā€™t it you slapping people down and confirming he is 6ftā€¦ Glynn might never play again with the shame.

I agree with flatty the hurler I must say. Fellas losing their life over their team winning an Ireland yet no one from their club on. Always found that very strange.

1 Like