All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

In fairness mate, the vast majority of people who have hurled wonā€™t know that

It is the biggest county ground in the country afaik. Joint biggest anyway.

I do think optics can have a part to play on how things pan out too, but obviously thatā€™s hard to prove one way or the other.

Just from my own experience, some pitches appear more open than they are and youā€™d be more inclined to play a ball into space than those that look tight.

Itā€™s one of the widest pitches in country. Itā€™s at least 8m wider than Welsh Park according to woolly last week

1 Like

giphy%20(10)

Why do I get the feeling weā€™ve been here before?

5 Likes

The worst thing about Cusack Park being a big field is the annual discussion around it, with fellas advising on the dimensions in a hushed knowing tone as if it was a state secret.

Thereā€™s always some new pleidhc here

Unfortunately it actually happens in real life also.

1 Like

Iā€™m doing a spot of weeding and sweeping and starting to get a little bit excited about our first championship game tomorrow now.

Could my fellow Wexicans please comment on the team?

Is Darren Byrne injured? Has Ian Byrne failed to make the panel or is he injured? Good to see some of the injured / younger players at least back in contention from the bench like Firman and J Oā€™Connor.

Do I have a point in wanting to see Dunbar or someone with more of a scoring threat on from the start or is he right to go for strength/physicality in the middle area from the start?

It just seems too reactive and focused on negating the opposition, even though I accept Dublin are good at home.

Will we try to use the overlap created by 7 defenders to work short puck outs and move the ball through the lines and then bypass their strong half back line? Or will they send a man upfield to mark our extra man on puck outs to force us to go long?

Iā€™d say Jack Oā€™Connor and Chris Crummey will flake into each other at some stage.

cc @Wexford1996 @wexico14 @Gman @Appendage @padjo @Mac

1 Like

@GeoffreyBoycott

1 Like

Just heard that Ian Byrne picked up groin injury in training, not sure about Darren Byrne. I heard Chin is on free taking duties. Not sure how I feel about that. We must be the only county without an established freetaker.

1 Like

The free taking situation is very odd.
Article in Irish Times today about David Treacy/free taking and it mentioned Rory O Connor didnā€™t miss any frees against Dublin last year.
The physicality will be off the charts might be as intense as a game a rugby
Be very happy with a 1pt Wexford win

It could develop into an arm wrestle in the trenches.

cc @Ralphie

1 Like

Ah ladsā€¦

1 Like

We must have tried 6 or 7 lads at this stage and none of them can nail down the job. I think Ian Byrne probably the best of them but heā€™s not guaranteed a starting spot when fit.

1 Like

Carlows corner forward Pat Murphy taught me, sound chap, loved his hurling.

1 Like

What age is he?

We have about 6 established free takers. None of them can score frees of courseā€¦

4 Likes

I think Chin, Foley, Fanning, 2 x Oā€™ Connorā€™s, Conor Mac, Kehoe, Morris and Byrne of the current panel have all had a go at the free taking in last few years.

1 Like

I always thought Morris was decent enough from the 40 in & just leave Chin hit the ones from further out.