All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

thats exactly it. People think a pitch plays bigger in a stadium set back from the pitch. Its more the optics than the actual measurements. Cusack Park is known as one of the biggest pitches in the country, albeit looks smaller due to the stands around it. Walsh Park is smaller, significantly.

2 Likes

You can measure each on Google maps and come back to us

I wouldn’t be interested at all but I suspect Waterford will be much improved this week and Clare away from a tight closed field will be much easier beat.

You’re not interested but your last 10 posts here have discussed the dimensions?

No I’m just about to get off the train to head to leopardstown for the evening. I don’t even no how’d you measure a field on google maps.

The news that you don’t know how to measure a field will be very interesting to ambitious farmers in West Limerick

Lads.

1 Like

The sidelines in Walsh Park were brought in a couple of yards at the behest of the health and safety crowd in case one of the players clattered into the wall.

1 Like

Apparently, the sideline on the Mackey side in Limerick has been moved outwards (we’re talking a foot maybe) but the sideline on the uncovered side hasn’t. Now for ye! According to a very very very well placed source

Fuck sake lads you’ve started Gman off about pitches, you deserve what ye get now

1 Like

Anyone who has ever hurled knows that Cusack Park is a fine big and wide pitch.

1 Like

In fairness mate, the vast majority of people who have hurled won’t know that

It is the biggest county ground in the country afaik. Joint biggest anyway.

I do think optics can have a part to play on how things pan out too, but obviously that’s hard to prove one way or the other.

Just from my own experience, some pitches appear more open than they are and you’d be more inclined to play a ball into space than those that look tight.

It’s one of the widest pitches in country. It’s at least 8m wider than Welsh Park according to woolly last week

1 Like

giphy%20(10)

Why do I get the feeling we’ve been here before?

5 Likes

The worst thing about Cusack Park being a big field is the annual discussion around it, with fellas advising on the dimensions in a hushed knowing tone as if it was a state secret.

There’s always some new pleidhc here

Unfortunately it actually happens in real life also.

1 Like

I’m doing a spot of weeding and sweeping and starting to get a little bit excited about our first championship game tomorrow now.

Could my fellow Wexicans please comment on the team?

Is Darren Byrne injured? Has Ian Byrne failed to make the panel or is he injured? Good to see some of the injured / younger players at least back in contention from the bench like Firman and J O’Connor.

Do I have a point in wanting to see Dunbar or someone with more of a scoring threat on from the start or is he right to go for strength/physicality in the middle area from the start?

It just seems too reactive and focused on negating the opposition, even though I accept Dublin are good at home.

Will we try to use the overlap created by 7 defenders to work short puck outs and move the ball through the lines and then bypass their strong half back line? Or will they send a man upfield to mark our extra man on puck outs to force us to go long?

I’d say Jack O’Connor and Chris Crummey will flake into each other at some stage.

cc @Wexford1996 @wexico14 @Gman @Appendage @padjo @Mac

1 Like