All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Can’t say limerick over achieved in the 00s. Only 3 wins in munster in 10 years.

About right with the quality of players we had . Cork , Tipp and Waterford had vastly superior players them years

No kid. Can’t agree with that. In reality we have been the ultimate underachievers in hurling terms.

1 Like

What’s the point of this overly long rambling post?

Who got MOTM in the two games yesterday?

Hegarty and John McGrath

1 Like

In reality, the current Limerick team is the first one in about 25 years that were anyway good enough to win an all-ireland, probably even longer than that

Hello Fran I hope you’re keeping well mate.

Hi Grapes, all’s well, hope the family are good

Great to hear it Fran. :+1:

Would 60% agree. There was an arrogance there that assumed anytime we got through Munster, we’d walk it. 80, 81 and 96 are perfect examples of assumptions that the heavy lifting was done in Munster and all we had to do was show up.
We were deservedly handed our arses on all 3 occasions

The u21s of 00 to 02 probably had enough quality but once again the assumption set in that they would deliver. Kilkenny showed them mercy in 07 as the game was won after 10 minutes and Kilkenny decided to keep them at arms length and chose not to hammer the hammer like they did with Waterford in 08

1994 was the one they obviously threw away and they possibly had a chance in 1996. Outside of that the quality did not match the expectations

I actually don’t think arrogance bet us in 94. It was a freak result. We just lost the run of ourselves in the last 5 minutes and panicked.
96 was way more disappointing. It was pure complacency that bate us that day.

2 Likes

But yes you’re correct in saying that quality did not match expectations.

Last year Tipp didn’t get through and they’re in a Munster final… One of Limerick, Cork or Clare won’t be going through after being AI semi finalists last year… Thats the cut throat nature of Munster

Mid 90s more than good enough

I am not . The game in the city is minority . The west of the county is a wasteland . Cork and Tipp have generally be stronger . 2 limerick club has won an all Ireland senior title and consider that over the last 30 years cork clubs have regressed hugely and Tipp s clubs have struggled hugely .

1 Lk club have won a junior all Ireland and we have had no intermediate winner .

Until ASR came on the scene the colleges scene struggled .

The current success is down to a good development programme & a freakish good crop of players . Also that last year Kk were in transition , Tipp being poor and cork having flaws were a factor .

Since I went to my first game in 1980 we always had less natural skill than the bigger counties . We have nearly caught up but even now Tipp have better natural stick men .

1 Like

Probably just as well then the system is the way it is. Otherwise you’d probably be looking at all Munster All Ireland Finals for the next decade or so and Galway cribbing to go straight back in to a semi.

apologies, comment withdrawn.

1 Like