All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Don’t know but would be surprised if the likely candidates such as Daly or Lohan will want it after they were blackguarded back in 2017 by Pat Fitz, both have both said publicly they won;t manage Clare while he is secretary.

Pat will do all he can to get Davy back or one of his yes men buddies to take it

Still on the panel. Very raw, will be an option in the medium term but his hurling wouldn’t be up to championship level yet and would need to add more strength to compensate and compete at championship level.

Himself, Diarmuid Ryan, Cooney and Aidan McCarthy are all lads who will be fine hurlers and regulars in the next two or three seasons but need time.

1 Like

If Davy wins the All Ireland with Wexford this season then it may be a natural end to his time here. Clare could hardly turn down someone with his credentials.

Next manager is crucial. Ye’ve the core of a decent team there, but they haven’t another two seasons to waste.

Yeah, it is a down year where things just have gotten stale and the lack of depth in the panel means that lads have been able to coast. A fresh voice along with a handful of the more experienced lads back from injury and travelling will have the side will see us back closer to 2018 than 2019 form.

Daly is probably what the team needs as this juncture. Hopefully he has a change of heart when push comes to shove.

1 Like

It’s 2014 since Clare wrapped up their 3 in a row of u21 titles. They are running out of time to get something from those lads.

Change of heart ? I thought Daly sounded like a man on Sunday that wanted the job. I’m not sure what Clare offer money wise but I’m 99 percent sure na piarsigh would break the bank to get him over their senior team if church doesn’t work this season.

Dunno about ye men, but Clare aren’t gone anywhere until Sunday is over. A knock out game at home in Ennis, they’ll show up bigtime.

1 Like

I might chance a few euro on Clare @ 100/30

I was just going to say. They are relying on limerick getting a win but id fancy Clare to be bang there with 5 to go. Cork offered a good few goal chances v Waterford and Clare created a few chances v limerick. I don’t no the inside track but I don’t Clare have fallen out wity their manager or packed it so a big performance is a distinct possibility.

I was thinking go HT/FT. Feel like they need to strike early to get the crowd behind them. That’s 9/1 I think.

1 Like

Cp I wouldn’t just back it at the moment but if you fancy Clare to win back them half time/full time. Cork tend to be better in the second half. Clare to be winning at half time could be the bet.

Would they not have put him down rather than training him on?

1 Like

Conlon and Touhy are 30 this year. Pat O’Connor 28

The rest of the team is 26 or younger. Granted there are miles on the clock but it isn’t an old team or panel of players. The big problem is that hurling has evolved and Clare have a panel of players who either rely on skill and movement - Kelly, Galvin, Podge, O’Malley etc or rely on power and athleticism - Malone, Fitzgerald, Golden, Cleary , Shanagher etc at intercounty level and we have very little who have both which will mean we are a side which will lack balance until we get this mix right.

Clare’s half backline on sunday was as big, mobile and powerful as Limerick’s half backline but had half the hurling. Not one of Cleary, Fitz or Malone can deliver quick direct ball under any type of pressure instead try and carry every ball into contact which Limerick and tipp only lapped up. All three have their uses but but you can’t really afford to have more than one lad in our half back line who lacks hurling. Jamie Shanahan is a very underrated loss for the simple fact that he was able to switch play and pump ball cross field down into the right corner for Conlon under pressure last year. While I admire his honesty of effort and battling qualities, Malone would struggle to do the same on an empty pitch.

1 Like

A draw between Tipp and Limerick would be enough for them (assuming they win)
They are well capable of getting a win and if Limerick got any kind of a result at all, Cork would be in right bother so they would.

1 Like

Fixed

You cant be going in against Kilkenny with an “IF” attitude

1 Like

Very few of the Limerick team are over the 26-27 mark.

I’d agree though regarding the other points. Team seems to be full of lads who can mix it but can’t hurl, or are excellent hurlers who can’t win their own ball (I know that’s a bit of a generalisation).

I also think there’s a few coasting on past reputations. Tony Kelly in particular seems to be happy to just drift onto a ball here or there, rather than trying to impose himself on a game.

Mulcahy and Browne are the only ones in or around that age

Goalies don’t age???