All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Huh?

Nickie Quaid is 30 tomorrow (according to wiki) so he would also be in or around or past that age

Forgot about Quaid. My bad

I think Kelly is an easy enough scapegoat and would think that management need to take some of the blame here as they have enabled it.

All too often they pick him at centre forward and tell him to drift about which works some days but teams find it easy enough to counteract this by sending someone to shadow him, they then normally switch him to midfield with varying degrees of success. They would be better off at times trying to use him in a much more defined role from time to time. Put him in at left half forward and make him play with a bit more structure for 35 or 50 minutes of a game and then let him wander once it loosens up. If he is being man marked and not getting on breaks then he would be as well off holding his position and the shape of the forward line.

4 Likes

Yerrah. He could play for another 4/5 years before he find his natural position at centre back.
Some Tipp lads would tell you he isn’t even a decent goalie

1 Like

And Condon and Richie

Fuck it. I’ll get my coat

Mul is pushing on as well. We’re fucked.

He’s learning young Casey well.

What the fuck is your problem?

He fairly hung you out to dry there … and he’s supposed to be a good mate of yours.

A cunt if ever there was one.

3 Likes

Your fat gommy head.

Not conclusively, but im yet to hear a counter.

To summarise, posters especially @the_man_himself say that galway had it easier when straight into a semi, i say this makes it harder.

Therefore since galway have entered leinster they would surely have a worse record and appear in finals far less than before. The opposite has happened.

Here’s another quick one, just had a look at wikipedia there, theres been 18 years since 1940 with two semis, one v galway, one v ulster champs, where galway have not progressed (i dont understand the format for most of 70s). My hypothesis would be that hard games improve teams, others is that easier or no games are of benefit.

So whats the record of those 18 winners? The team that had to play galway won 12 finals, the team that beat the ulster champions won 6. A smallish sample but a perfectly fair study as teams were pre drawn in alternating order, there should be no advantage, or teams with the easier semi should be at an advantage going by some posters irrational belief, but its not, and the harder game produced way more winners. Galway, when straight into the semis had of course to play either the munster or leinster champions, proven good teams with campaigns behind them already. A huge disadvantage. Every second year those counties often played antrim, a vurtual bye into an all ireland. That doesn’t get mentioned much though.

Any reasoned debate on this welcome, dullards not making arguments will have to be ignored.

if you take it in two chunks

1980 - 2000 : Galway appeared in 8 finals winning 3 and losing 5
from 2000 - 2019 : Galway appeared in 6 finals (2 of those before joining Leinster) winning 1 and losing 5.

So ye’ve had 10 years in Leinster - 4 finals and one win.
It really is a similar/ worse curve to the 80’s when ye had it handy.

a counter argument would be the less games you play, the more chance you have of progressing.

Put it another way, in a knockout competition, would you rather chance your team starting out at the round of 32 stage or start at the semi finals? Surely by starting at the semi final stage you get an advantage of being fresher and only having to win 2 games rather than 5.

Obviously there is the counter argument that you are untested and dont have the cohesion or game play awareness by coming in cold. But if you had to chose which is the path most likely to bring you success, you’d say being thrown in at the tail end would be more likely to give you a shot of winning.

In the 10 years Galway participated in Munster from 1959 to 1969 they won 1 game out of 12 and never got near an All Ireland Final. In the following 28 years from 1969 to 1997 where they got straight into the semis Galway got to 9 All Ireland Finals, winning 3

2 Likes

:popcorn:

Similar, but I thought lads were saying it was a major advantage?

A slight anomaly there as five of those finals were reached in a six year period, a very strong team to suit your argument, feel free to use any decade before