All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

It really didnt. A 2 man full forward line with a traditional type full forward wont work. He was lost entirely having 2 men on him. At stages this year it looked good, but alas, wasnt to be

I cant recall him ever getting a goal by using his pace. Its usually a long ball in and catch or being the last link on a team move.

McDonald needs to be dropped for a few games to give him the kick up the hole he badly needs. He’s been a mainstay for years now and lads who’ve put in more effort have been dropped.

I got a very ironic suggested reel on Instagram yesterday evening of himself sprinting up some laneway in some gear for lifestyle sports. I don’t recall him ever sprinting that hard in a hurling match

2 Likes

MacDonald is not a Joe Canning/Tony Kelly but he will do just fine. ROC is the man going forward. His brother was outstanding too yeasterday I thought. Ye need a keeper and to keep Chin chinning somehow, a handfulf to come through, won’t happen next year but on the right track. Best Wexford performance in years there yesterday

Yeah Rory is a super player. I’d still have hope that Mac will come good, but over 100 games now and still an average return for a key forward position. The expectation was huge on him, just hasnt fulfilled it.

Go home Laz, you’re drunk :rofl:

I can see both sides to this debate but he gets a very easy time of it in Wexford. It’s usually the tactics or poor ball into him that get mentioned as opposed to him needing to do more. I think all of it is relevant. For the lads crying out for every ball to be fonged in long to Conor Mc then surely 2’19 v Tipp and yesterday show the best teams adapt to this tactic pretty quickly. Of course a bit of long ball can work as part of a varied attack but teams will just drop another man or two back if they know every ball is coming in long and then it’s just a case of of the markers spoiling/disrupting and the spare lads mopping up. I try to tell my auld it’s not wise to bang every puck out as far as possible for the same reason, but I’ll never convince him on that point. I don’t think McDonald’s movement is particularly good to get himself free but his lack of pace maybe magnifies this too. I think it was mainly Chin causing the trouble back there yesterday, although @the_man_himself points out that McDonald made a couple of balls stick and won a free or two but we needed more out of him really.

2 Likes

Wexford need a few more hardy country lads from around the Blackstairs and Kilmuckridge. Too many townies and fellows from the satellite clubs from the suburbs.

1 Like

He needs to up his workrate massively. Coach Egan might consider a league season with him at 10.

I would love to see Liam Seedy take over at Wexford see what he can muster out of them. Seems like a natural fit

As @Gman said, he’s been given time at 11 and 12 before but hasn’t been effective. His workrate hasn’t been as high as what’s needed, not really putting in tackles or covering ground. That side of it is required in the modern game. He has a very good hand but it seems to me to be dependent on a particular type of ball. He was stationary under puck outs at 11 and getting shunted out of the way by defenders. I think he’s right handed but left hand on top (open to correction here) so he catches with his right hand. I can recall a lot of his goals coming from diagonal type deliveries from the right half forward/back position, where he can kinda use his body and left arm to hold a defender off, catch with his right as the ball coming across at that angle favours him, and then turn and shoot. I guess the margins are small enough though - he missed a really great goal chance against Dublin when ROC did all the work to give him the clear shot at goal, Murphy made that stunning save from him in Nowlan Park and he nearly scored a goal early on yesterday when Hayes soloed across his own square with the ball and McDonald pulled on the loose ball.

Whatever about McDonald - Wexford need to figure out how they are going to operate from 5-12 now. That sweeper and sitting deep shit looked good yesterday and I honestly felt we were gone but when we woke up we were rampant in that sector. I just dont feel yyou’ll beat better teams with it. I think they are slowly getting a nice 1-7 together and will have 2 to 3 good forwards but sort middle sector properly or yesterdays event will continuously repeat against better teams or worse.

1 Like

But even there, 3 chances of goals that realistically all should have been scored. Thats why we are the plucky underdogs and not ruthless bastards who bury teams.

Anyway, the aul Wexford chat will be consigned to local threads and not the main one here seeing as we are irrelevant once more

1 Like

This new inter-county calendar is an issue as the peak silage is coinciding with the latter stages of Leinster Round robin and early All-Ireland series. A week spent on the pit isn’t conducive to BDE’s expansive game plan.

3 Likes

Devitt is an interesting player. I saw him at u21 level in 2014 and would have said he’ll make it. Reminds me of Paul Flanagan for us. I do question how hurlers like that were nowhere to be seen when ye had a group coming through.

Egan didnt want to mess around with the system with so little time last year. He will twist now I feel and hope he gets the time to restructure it and get silverware. Fellas like Devitt, 2 Recks, AJ, Oisin Pepper, Foley, etc. all become feally important then

Lads Wexford are shite.

1 Like

ROC was the difference

Devitt is from Kilanerin, a predominantly football club. He was on the county football squad for a while but was in with Davy last year too. Similar to a few other players who have been flip flopping between the squads here. Nailing down a spot on the hurling this year should be the end of that for him now.

1 Like