All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

Ahem!

3 Likes

Was that game in GAA HQ or was it in the home grounds of Dublin GAA?

Mate?

i get you, i just through up the game for a passer by.

1 Like

Hall of famers mate.

A blast from the past. I have a vague memory of watching that on TV. Clare shipped an awful beating in Salthill against Galway under Sparrow too. Possibly in 2011.

1 Like

On paper Clare are a better team than KK. But I would be wary for Clare. KK will set out to shut down Kelly. If you can do that you are half way there. Clare definitely have more contributing now than him, but they still need a big score from play from Kelly. If he is off the frees as well will that affect his ability to get into the game?

Cody is the King of having a team primed after the break. They will present Clare with a different type of challenge than what they have faced so far. They will be going over the warzone as much as they can and high down on the FB line where Clare struggled. Be interesting to see how Clare can adjust.

Clare showed great bottle to dig it out against Wexford the last day after the sickner of the MF. They’ll be afraid of no one, nor should they be, but what have they in the tank is the question for me.

I have a feeling KK will do it, I don’t know why.

We’ll bate the shite out of Galway in the other one

I honestly fear for Galway on Sunday. LImerick are gonna make solid shite out of them.

1 Like

I was at that game in Croke Park before the great Eoghan O’Gara tore Tipperary to bits in a Football Qualifier.

Pat Ryan must be going mad. He would have nearly got a full half cameo.

Is he not back training yet?

Haven’t a notion tbh, I’d have presumed not but could be way off. He’d be one to put a bet on the over points bracket if he was back.

Our record against non leinster teams is really shit so the odd victory stands out! Dublin went out the following week and lost to Antrim after being 10 points up

I don’t see Kilkenny winning this at all. Clare have a more than enough in the battling stakes and miles more skill. I really don’t rate Kilkenny at all, perhaps I’m completely wrong.

Edit, I kinda hope Kilkenny win as it would be great to face Kilkenny in a final and it would be easier for Limerick fans to get tickets.

1 Like

I’ve no idea what to expect in terms of how the game will be played but I wouldn’t draw an obvious conclusion that KK can’t win a shootout. Any negative conclusion drawn about that outcome would only be as a result of form and form (Limerick aside) has been very unreliable this year. Clare will, I feel, be still suffering from the result of the Munster final, not the scoreboard, butt he manner. They threw all they had, hurled unbelievably, died on their feet but in reality Limerick pulled away handy for a finish. Clare, rightly, see themselves as the greatest challenge to Limerick this year but there will be sub conscious thoughts amongst the panel that they tried their best already this year and it wouldn’t surprise me if a fear of beating Kilkenny this Saturday evening seeped into the minds of some of the Clare lads. Cody won’t want for an iota of motivation for this match and you can be assured that the past 4 weeks will have seen 2/3 Kk players singled out for special attention and targeted “motivation”. It’s Cody’s speciality, it’s also his 3rd attempt to get this team beyond a semi final, draw whatever you will from the motivation that will have provided him. Not a peep from KK since the Leinster final, not a whisper. Clare are the better hurling team coming into this match, they need to prove that Saturday evening

7 Likes

I think Clare will beat Kilkenny by a little bit, maybe 4-6 points.

I think Limerick will beat Galway by a lot, maybe 14-16 points. Galway are absolutely useless and they’ve fluked their way to this stage. Under my Xp&g model, Cork should have beaten them by 3-28 to 1-18 and their results will surely regress to the mean. I mentioned ages ago that the players were totally bemused by Shefflin not drilling down into tactics, other than the very high level…defenders stay close and compact, Cathal Mannion hurl away in a free role, half forward line work up and down and leave two inside. They’ve no patterns of play within that, no attacking or defending puck out strategy, nothing other than fong the ball in the general direction of Whelan. Now he might turn 8 or 9 Hail Marys into 1-2 from play himself, 0-2 in pointed frees and an assist for another 0-1. But they’ll get battered at the weekend and they might have been better offer losing narrowly to Cork tbh. It didn’t bode well when they players were looking for basic stuff that any good club set up would have in terms of stats, GPS data etc back in the winter/early spring. Just hurl away won’t really cut it against The Big House and their whiteboard. It’ll be interesting to see if Shefflin walks or gets the bullet after his first year.

4 Likes

I can’t look past the God awful Leinster final this year. Two rubbish teams. Galway weren’t much better against Cork. Clare should beat them handy.

Which of the current Clare panel have ever taken a beating off Kilkenny at any level be it minor, under 21s, league or championship hurling?

Kilkenny will be hard beaten but Clare don’t have that kind of baggage or hang ups when it comes to Kilkenny

Not the point I was making but you are right, “Clare won’t fear Kilkenny”