All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

But why would a fear of a beating seep in? The teams haven’t met in championship hurling since 2006 and and Kilkenny haven’t inflicted a heavy defeat on Clare at any level in a decade, there is no basis really for such a claim.

You’re right, there’s no basis for that claim you are making

2 Likes

To be honest, I mentioned to a friend in James Stephens a couple of years ago that I thought AM’s best position – for Kilkenny, at least – might well be midfield. Can certainly understand what you are saying about the left hand robbing the right hand – but this scenario might have more to do with loss of form/erratic form/inexperience on the part of John Donnelly, Cian Kenny, James Maher, Billy Ryan and Pádraig Walsh.

If everyone was playing to optimum form, the Kilkenny team would probably be along these lines:

Eoin Murphy

Mikey Butler
Huw Lawlor
Tommy Walsh

Michael Carey
Conor Delaney/Richie Reid
David Blanchfield

Paddy Deegan
James Maher

Billy Ryan
PĂĄdraig Walsh
Adrian Mullen

TJ Reid
John Donnelly
Eoin Cody

But we are where we are. And I have a gut instinct about us having a right chance of beating Clare.

Is James Maher fit & available?

Not sure. JM’s form is highly erratic as well, at this stage.

To be fair, Martin Keoghan is up front on merit, although he scarcely looks a natural forward in ways.

I cant see Clare losing to Kilkenny. I think they are a far superior team.

So lump on Kilkenny I guess…

1 Like

I like Mossy, he works hard and has bagged a few goals.

I was just thinking I don’t recall seeing Maher this year, although I did miss a couple of Kilkenny’s Leinster games and I know there has been a lot of switching at midfield.

Probably looking at Fogarty & Browne this weekend, I suppose.

If the right opportunity presents itself closer to home, he could walk.

3 Likes

I really hope we either get a Limerick v Kilkenny final - failing that Clare v Galway.

The last thing we need is some sort of Clare/Limerick love in/shit banter between Dalo and Teege/Ciaran Carey Point/Marty standing at a river on the County Bounds etc for 2 weeks.

4 Likes

Jaysus you’re really struggling to find joy in life anymore for some reason. Are you ok?

1 Like

For once, we more or less disagree. I think WW is most effective at right corner forward, moving around and vacating that space for dangerous deliveries. There is a myth that WW is great in the air. He is not. Will make one great fetch a game but often jumps with his eyes closed or stands crumpled and static under a ball. Here is why PĂĄdraic Maher was well able for him.

Cannot understand why WW has not been coached to stand on the sideline with his back to the crowd, attacking a puckout with the hurl in his left hand as a shield and coming on the sweep. Would be a far more effective puckout gambit if he is to be right half forward, where Brian Cody mostly picks him.

The problem with WW picking up ball out the field? That he is a poor decision maker and hugely predictable in possession. I reckon the poor decision making is related to his grip changing. To operate with consistent effectiveness, WW needs to clear his mind, a demand helped by placing him nearer the opposition goal. Nearer goal, this impulse kicks in. Item: the goal he made for TJ Reid in the 2015 AIF.

1 Like

Reading that you’d wonder how they beat Wexford up and down “insert corporation here” park before going to sleep and the yellowbellies still needing an oul dig out to scrape a draw at home.
It’s great to be still hurling all the same.

I just want a proper AI Final. Its always better when teams from different provinces compete.

Limerick have played Clare about 5 times already this year - and they’ll probably play 3 or 4 times again next year.

Limerick haven’t played Kilkenny since 2019 I’d say. Its that type of novelty that hurling need. I wouldnt expect you to understand that though.

2 Likes

I generally want the two best teams in an All Ireland final, but I guess I’m odd like that.

2 Likes

Be a long one.

MK is admirable, in fairness. I was no way advocating for that lineout. We are where we are.

JM, unless he has been going like a demon for the last couple of weeks, is down the pecking order – both as regards this season and as regards his form for the last two seasons. Which is fair enough. Regarding optimum form, I was thinking of his display against Limerick in 2019.

Kilkenny are said to have trained for the last fortnight or so out of their skin, with Richie Hogan especially prominent. Brian Cody said after one session: “This is how we were training when we were winning All Irelands.”

2 Likes

The conversion of Walsh into a CF and then dropping him completely because it wasn’t working is one of the more bizarre things I’ve seen

1 Like

It’ll be absolutely iconic seeing Richie Hogan warming up for a full hour before maybe getting a few token seconds at the end.

It’s hard not to believe he would strengthened the half back line, unless his form has dropped off a cliff.

Well… A lot of bizarre things happened over the last five seasons. But all of that stuff was forgotten after the 2022 Leinster Final, I suppose. PW has been ill used in those seasons. Full back…? Huw Lawlor, 21 in 2017, had played brilliantly in 2016 Senior County Final on TJ Reid.