All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

It’s a shambles.

How can you say the championship is “destroyed “ when the year hasn’t even started ??

Cop on

Funny thing is, that while the 2021 Inter County AI Finals weren’t played until Late August/September, the Club Championships have run very well since.

I often wonder in sport is following a team sometimes more fun when they are a bit shit than being dominant.

Like back in 2012, 2013 and 2014 following limerick was incredible.

Everything would invariably go belly up in the league and there would be mad calls to remove the manager or a load of the players. All sorts of rumours of discontent would go around.

We’d be facing tipp on the June bank holiday and there would be a six week lead in on here.

Starting off with fellas picking teams which invariably included lads not even on the panel. You’d have fellas at each other’s throats over a player from tounrrafalla who fellas reckon should be given a chance.

By early may some random poster would login and post about how the intentisty of training has gone through the roof and players are flying it.
You’d see fellas starting to get confident then. Giving it big licks about limerick not fearing tipp.

By late may to a poster we were all confident of a performance. A few were predicting wins even.

Win, lose or draw the build up was magnificent. 2018 was special and everything else but Now it’s just a little bit boring. Opposition fans don’t really seem to care and it’s almost inevitable we win it out. There’s nothing new or different facing us. Just rinse and repeat.

I can only imagine it got incredibly boring for dubs fans for a finish. I sort of understand why fuck all Kilkenny fans turn up at games too. The Mayo fans are the really Lucky ones.

9 Likes

‘Giant facepalm’

The fun has gone out of it in most counties. Too many repeat fixtures between Munster League/National League/Championship.

There’s no real bitterness between any of the main hurling counties now which you need to generate a bit of hype.

Like 15 years ago you had Babs and Tom Ryan at each others throats in the papers and on radio calling each other ‘clowns’ and all sorts.

The GAA calendar worked itself out until the inter county game turned profesional and wouldn’t allow club games during the summer. The April for months experiment was once again ruined by county managers taking teams off to Portugal training.

People who don’t play GAA or follow the club game properly don’t realise the shit that was going on. At least now there’s certainty.

3 Likes

I couldn’t give much of a fuck about the intercounty game so the split season and intercounty ending earlier is a godsend

3 Likes

Lapsed poster @sidney had a great post about the Munster team from 00-06 and what made them special. It was the coming up short and the heroic winners from nowhere that endeared them to the public. That’s what made it special.

Even now I find following man united far more enjoyable than ever before really. Sitting their hoping we can get a late winner against Burnley so I can stomach watching match of the day later that evening.

1 Like

The worst thing Mayo could do is win the All Ireland.

They doing a fair job in putting a nail in to the intercounty stuff anyway. Maybe the club game will go like the nfl and explode given there’s so many games if it was covered right. Hard to see the gaa doing that though.

pity GIF

You can follow Galway mate. It’s been like that for generations. It’ll never change.

The intercounty game is a fairly shit product at the moment anyway. Might be no harm if it’s over quicker

I said to my father lately that Tipp and Cork will be the two teams not to make it out of Munster.

1 Like

How is that a bold prediction? They were definitively worse than Limerick, Cork and Waterford last year, while Tipp and Clare are going in opposite trajectories.

It would destroy their identity

2 Likes

Predictions

Leinster
Champs: Galway
Runners Up: Wexford
3rd: Kilkenny

Munster
Champs: Limerick
Runners Up: Waterford
3rd: Clare

SFs
LK beat WX
WD beat GY

Limerick to win it out again. Obviously.

2 Likes

No. Probably the best years for me following Tipp were the first Sheehy era and some of the years after that. There was a huge sense of excitement over what was possible. I’d absolutely love to see Tipp dominate an era but it’s never happened in my lifetime. Kilkenny and Limerick have done it in hurling and Dublin in the football.

When things are shit, it’s less fun, believe me. Some of the Tipp stuff in the mid 00s when we tried to convert backs into forwards. I’m not at all excited about the season ahead. The only thing is my expectations are incredibly low, so even getting out of Munster would feel like something.

1 Like

I would add that truly living through the shit years makes the glory days sweeter.