All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

It all boils down to decision making and skill execution under intense pressure. The team that is the best coached will do this best, that is Limerick.

2 Likes

Limerick are going nowhere as long as Kinnerk stays in sittu. The Limerick players have improved out of all recognition under Kinnerk. There is plenty of talented players coming through, who you would expect to improve exponentially.

2 Likes

I suppose you would be a little disappointed that no one really forced their way into the side this year and put an established player on the bench, especially given the opportunities presented by injuries etc. If someone drops out for the final they will be replaced by someone with a couple of medals already. Which in the short term is great, but in terms of extending the longevity of the side youā€™d have liked a little more impact from younger lads this year.

Cathal Oā€™Neill. No one was breaking into that defense. English needs another year, still very young. The luxury Limerick have is that they dont need to rush lads until physically and mentally ready. This will pay huge dividends going forward.

5 Likes

There was one ball very late on that Nash had to run back towards his own end line in the left corner back area to win. He gathered it, quickly surveyed his options and then finessed a floaty 25/30 yard pass to someone in space out near the 45. No big deal in one sense but it struck me that he had to go over 2 or 3 Galway players to reach his target and you often see these going awry, especially late on when thereā€™s mental and physical fatigue. Itā€™s like in tennis when some smart but tired cunt tries a drop shot but doesnā€™t commit to the stroke properly and the ball dies before the net and he looks foolish. You see instances in stick hurling regularly (at least in Wexford games and auld lads go mad) when an attempted short pass to build up through the lines is underhit, intercepted and banged over the bar. I thought Nash was calm and precise in nearly everything he did yesterday and that moment summed him up. Gman ran through how injury time ebbed and flowed yesterday earlier. To my naked eye, I felt that Limerickā€™s collective composure wasnā€™t as good as previous games but they definitely did a lot right late on alright.

2 Likes

Julio & I actually commented similar when seeing it live. Itā€™s the type of pass youā€™d bollock a fella out of it for even attempting if it was any other side. They have supreme confidence in their ability to find the man. What should in theory be a low % pass, comes off far more often than not.

1 Like

Are Oā€™Connor, English and Oā€™Neil all exclusively with the seniors next year? Oā€™Donovan is another potentialā€¦ I think next year will be the year a few push on, theyā€™ll have to. The worry is the HB line, our elder statesmen all play there.

27 year old Byrnesy says hello.

Itā€™s neither here nor there, but heā€™s 28 no? And Iā€™m not saying heā€™s retiring :smiley:ā€¦ But we need a few emerging players. Kyle will go back obviously but Coughlan seemed to go back a few steps this year.

Fairly slowly May I add!!

2 Likes

Its not the years either, its the mileage.

1 Like

And Nash.

Nasty post

5 years at it now as a group? and the miles are clocking upā€¦ Anyway, weā€™re grand for another couple of years but itā€™s the area I think we need to unearth a couple of players for

I though Coughlin was average enough for u20s last year. He looked much more comfortable at wing back this year.

Its mental and physical fatigue. To be on the road that long, even before Kiely. The underage years also. Lads appetites change. What difference is the 4th medal to the 3rd one. And so on and so on.

Some fellas will stick at it til theyā€™re told to go home, other lads will realise thereā€™s more to life.

1 Like

Its what makes what Cody and co did all the more brilliant.

1 Like

Stepford Wives.

1 Like

Not really. The days are gone when a lad could hurl at top level well into his 30s. You get the odd exception like tj reid but in general given the current demands and sacrifices demanded, in or around the 30 mark is the cut off point

Too much so at times, some of the short passing is going to guys who are getting bottled up, itā€™s something thatā€™s creeping in.

1 Like