All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

Yes I can’t remember Limerick getting a point from a line ball. I wonder what the stats are on the success of shots for goal from line balls. Either way (score or miss) you are giving possession back to the other team. Score and your team gets a huge boost. Miss and it’s a huge blow.

Darragh O Donovan cuts a line ball as well as anyone but hasn’t cut a proper one in a couple of years. Clearly something they’ve worked on in the lab.

Gillane, Hego, DOD, Hannon would all have regularly cut them over, and still would for their clubs.

If you can secure possession on a short one, it’s definitely a great option. Teams are starting to pressure it better this year though. If there’s no other option on, I’d still be in favour of taking a shot on.

That Fintan Burke one yesterday was a long, long way out. He’s very good at them but it was a big distance.

1 Like

Ger Coughlan

I must the general tone of crass and classless commentary from the Limerick lads on here is completely at odds with the Limericks I engaged with yesterday in The Oval, Ryan’s, The Hideout House, Croke Park, the Hideout House(again), The Palace bar, Chaplins, and somewhere else I can’t quite think of right now.
Gents to a man, knowledgeable hurling men. And the ladies weren’t bad either.

Anyway well done to both panels on producing a game worthy of the occasion there yesterday. It was a joy to witness.
Now ont the serious stuff next Saturday, Gaillimh Abu!

11 Likes

It is nothing but a bit of jousting on here. Most people are fine expect for the g :owl: in a gola helmet @peddlerscross.

A Galway man sat down next to us yesterday, lovely affable fellow. About ten minutes into the game he took a lunchbox of what looked like fried rice and vegetables out of his bag and a fork and tucked into that. He would have been in his seat in plenty of time to eat it before the match started so I thought it was very odd. The Galway crowd made great noise and really got behind their team yesterday.

2 Likes

All the Galways I met before, during & after were very pleasant tbf. They weren’t the most optimistic beforehand and although they were outnumbered, made plenty of noise once they got going. Seemed to be disappointed afterwards but, at the same time, were pleased with the performance. We’ve all been there tbf.

2 Likes

Limerick fans were great craic yesterday, great hurling people. I was in two pubs packed with Limericks yesterday and I had my wallet after it, remarkable really.

Every county has a few apes supporting them, the Limerick apes are all online as well however.

3 Likes

I had a real Galway maneen in my ear yesterday which added to my agitation. He was the finest but roared at everything and anything with his thick Galway twang and obligatory H added to everything. He almost had me on the ropes between the 60-65th minute when I was seriously worried but Deccie and co steadied the ship. I turned to shake his hand at full time (after I hugged Esteban) but he was gone :smiley:…

2 Likes

Speed watched some of the game back earlier. Galway really lost the game due to a bad first 10 minutes and a bad last 5 minutes. Galway hit a clatter of bad wides and were outscored 0-9 to 0-1 in those two periods. For the bulk of the 55/60 minutes in between they hurled really well and were probably the better side outscoring Limerick 1-20 to 0-18.

Interesting dynamic between the two sides where Limerick have consistently struggled to put this Galway team away compared to the shellackings they have doled out to most other sides but they have still done just enough to narrowly beat them in all 3 championship meetings.

I think Henry will feel he has something to work with for next year. It was light years away from the way Galway exited the championship with a whimper to Waterford last year. Needs to continue to introduce some new lads which I think he will do but if nothing else Galway now seem to have a solid enough foundation of keeper and full-back line and the half-back line was superb yesterday against top class opponents. He’s unearthed some mobility and point scoring from around the middle of the field in Monaghan and Glennon. Probably some work needed up front but even Concannon returning to form would make a big difference. I thought Galway’s interplay to fashion some of their scores yesterday was genuinely impressive considering most of the year it was just route wan stuff to Whelan. Unfortunately they reverted a bit to that in the closing stretch when they probably needed to continue working the ball around. Maybe just tired minds and bodies at that stage.

Fair play to Limerick. Showed their experience and their subs just about got them over the line in the end.

17 Likes

Twee alert cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

3 Likes

Galway’s composure wasn’t great all through but that’s because the forwards don’t really play as a unit. The goal came from a big hit and hope. There were two other goal chances. Conor Cooney hit a ball over his shoulder for a point in thr first half but he had a runner on his shoulder and ignored him. The Conor Whelan point was probably the right option. The ball to him wasn’t. Not sure who gave him the ball but a pass to Conor Cooney would have made it three on one. Hopefully Henry can improve this but he can’t magic up natural forwards. There seems to be very little coming through. Niland and Richie Burke’s young lad seem to be the best prospects but they’re years away from senior.

Galway needed a bit of luck yesterday to get over the line. A bit of good karma could have been enough. If only you’d stirred up a bit last week. I dont like to blame you, but I cant see how its anyone elses fault to be honest.

It wasn’t bad luck. Just bad shooting.

1 Like

Conor Cooney ran away from the Limerick goal 3 times while in possession in the last 20 minutes and coughed up possession or tried a risky pass where the ball was lost each time. I thought it was criminal

3 Likes

Good man kieran

Cooney(Conor) was terrible yesterday, Flynn worse again. If even one of them showed up we’d have won handy enough I’d say

Would have said it was an excellent ball in rather than a hit and hope. Don’t think Whelan had much of a goal chance and was right to take his point.

Tell estaban I was asking for him, a good auld skin.

2 Likes