All Ireland Hurling Final 2020 Limerick v Waterford - the * All Ireland

I watched the Sunday game last night but didnā€™t watch the match back yet. How many points did Galway literally gift Limerick through mistakes or poor execution? Somewhere close to what the final margin was Iā€™d say. We canā€™t keep relying on that. Limerick ā€œlooked likeā€ the stronger team for much of the game but didnā€™t translate it to the scoreboard.

Galway going away from that game would have to think that the fee mistakes gifting a few points to Limerick along with losing Mannion and canning more than account for the final margin.

Yeah yeah you canā€™t boil a game down to a couple of incidents and say if X then Y. But thereā€™s something to it too, Limerick are riding their luck and scraping through games and are not as dominant against good teams as they are made out to be based on the hidings handed to poor teams like Clare and Tipp.

The shooting will need to be a lot more economical the next day, we hit at least four or five very bad wides.

we got 21 points from play and they got 11
we missed a couple of goal chances/half chances and they hadnā€™t a sniff really.

I wouldnā€™t say we rised our luck or scraped through in any way

True. But Waterford might not be so accomodating.

Isnā€™t Bruff BrĆŗ na DeisĆ© as gaeilge

1 Like

Limerick were well worth the win as things went. Why Galway didnā€™t play six forwards, at least for the second half, is beyond me.

2 Likes

JPs nephew is working on a remodel which tentatively titled Fairytale Of Croke Park

1 Like

Is it not something like ā€œBuailtear le do chaipinā€?

2 Likes

Fear.

A very one sided way of looking at it.

We got a higher proportion from play because they got more frees because we fouled lots.

It was level at 75 minutes. Thatā€™s not a convincing win in my book.

2 Likes

Think Limerick will bring Liam Mac home too easy, too strong for a plucky Waterford, hope Iā€™m wrong as Iā€™d love to see a close game but honestly canā€™t see it

1 Like

It was a lot more than the winning margin. The score was tied at 23 apiece on 75 minutes and all four Limerick points thereafter came from Galway turnovers, two from poor Harte deliveries and two from the keeper.

they made a lot of mistakes becuase they were put under savage pressure all over the field

They had 5 forwards and we squeezed up on the puck out in the second half - the goalie looked up and he saw absolutely fuck all and was trying to put the ball through the eye of needle to fellas in midfield. If he was going short to his corner backs they were getting squeezed.

1 Like

this isnā€™t accurate -

Limericks 24th point was from a puckout - the ball broke to Casey and he tipped it onto the runniing Tom Morrissey
25th Harte went to play a ball up the line from a short puckout and had no option - hit in to an area where Limerick had two men on one and pressure coming from Breen - again Casey picked up the ball and played it to Breen for a nice score
Limericks 26th point the goalie misplaced a puckout trying to thread a needle
Limericks 27th point Harte played a ball up the line to a Galway man who actually tried to control it but Hegarty pressured the touch and won a free.

Yes on watching it back youā€™re correct only 3 of the 4 were from Galway turnovers, the 24th Limerick point came from the blatant charge in the back from Hegarty that was missed.

My point to glas was Galway turnovers led to far more than the winning margin, which is accurate.

Turnovers were due to pressure though as well.

Limerick applied savage intensity and pressure.

I donā€™t think you can just say they were bad Galway errors and leave it at that. They were errors, no doubt about that but even when there was not direct pressure applied, the Limerick setup was quite good.

We had completely suffocated their long puckout option and because of their sweeper, they were finding it hard to win any long deliveries; Byrnes & Kyle were gobbling up ball and Nash & Dan also picked up a fair amount of loose ball.

Limerick letting poor distributors have the ball is a tactic in itself; if the likes of Harte or Burke or Mac concede possession because they donā€™t have any handy options to pass to; thatā€™s not a shock that that happens. How many puckouts did Mannion receive? Not a whole pile, and thereā€™s a certain amount of intention there.

Now, Waterford are obviously a different proposition entirely. Theyā€™ll run at you from anywhere. And even if you turn them over four, five, six times; theyā€™ll keep coming and coming, and they have fellas off the shoulder. None of which are things that Galway offered in all honesty. But they have their own weaknesses in defence as Kilkenny showed at times.

6 Likes

Some were, as you would expect, but a lot were just very poor execution.

Two horrendous turnovers from Harte not under a pile of immediate pressure either apart from on the clock. Usually heā€™s very tidy with his distribution. To be honest I think he was just bollocksed at that stage. Tired body and mind means sloppy passes means turnovers.

5 Likes