All Ireland Hurling Final 2020 Limerick v Waterford - the * All Ireland

The Hegarty missed free was huge. One point game very likely Galway bring it back to a draw but instead limerick go two points up.

The last one harte played it up the line to a fella who’s touch was up around his ear and he had Gearoid pretty much running him down.

I know it can be very hard to see on the TV camera angle but what other options did Harte have? Once he receives the ball, he can bate it long (which you don’t want to do); Limerick have started a press on all the other players so there is no easy option.

What he probably needs to do ideally, is run with it, draw a man and pop a pass but Limerick are probably happy enough for someone like him to carry the ball a bit.

I think Limerick set up very well tbh.

1 Like

Whelan went down the Hogan Stand line with a ball and spilled it . That was huge .

The Hegarty leap was a bad miss by the ref .

Hartes only option both times was a straight ball down the line which he was forced into

1 Like

Galway really miss Johnny Glynn as a outlet

Exactly; so I think it’s simplistic for people to merely call it a mistake (even though it was). Maybe the ball should never have been played to him in the first place but that’s what happens when a few puckouts go astray.

That’s what Limerick planned for and that’s what happened. They had done their homework on the Galway players and executed their side of it well.

He gave shitty little balls along the wet surface to lads with markers all over them though. They needed to be going into lads’ hands.

any ball you give to a lad with a man on him is a shitty ball. Galway had no free man - except the lad that was on the ball. He could have carried it but the runners weren’t there.

Limerick applied savage pressure for the 79 minutes

Its disrespectful to the Waterford lads to have to read comments about the also rans from Galway. Please respect the thread title. Comments regarding Galway do not belong in the final thread.

Not a peep out of the Kilkenny lads. Took their bateing and away off with them to murder each other in training until the next day

1 Like

Indeed but then Kilkenny are a traditional hurling county.

I’m not saying that the execution couldn’t have been better but pinging a ball into a fella’s hand is a hard skill to execute at the best of times; let alone when he’s being marked, let alone when you’re a corner-back in injury time.

Peter Casey was absolutely fucking epic when he came on. Scored two and let on at least 3.

The poor fucker is probably so effective off the bench he won’t start in his second final

Did he not play the first one well before any Limerick player engaged him?

Breen was hunting him down, he half miss controlled the puckout so I don’t know had he caught it twice

To be honest it looked like the short puck out strategy needed a lot more work than was put in to it . It needs to be perfect against a team of Limerick’s athleticism and work rate . I am not sure if Shane had the time with this group to implement the short puck out and sweeper .

The goalie had a hard station. He couldn’t go long - they were getting cleaned out by Limericks half back line and WOD

He couldn’t go short because it wasn’t getting out and Galway couldn’t break a tackle

Anytime he tried to laser one if he was long or short by a yard there was a Limerick man there.

I don’t know how Cork manage it every time to destroy that puckout but it’s seriously impressive. Nash must be the most accurate keeper in the country

With the extra man back there, you have to be very careful about engaging too early anyway; generally you’d be happy enough for the corner-back to run with it, and strike it eventually; better than allowing an overlap.

As Ashman says, it’s something that needs a lot of work. It took Limerick the bones of 18 months to not be really shit at short puckouts.

we got a good few scores from short puckouts ourselves where the ball was played through the lines to runners off the shoulder, jaysus tis beautiful to watch when it’s in full flow