All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Itā€™s only u17 but that Tipp team was the best and most consistent team in the country this year, lost one game out of 7 in the Munster round robin which was only due to a concession of four goals.

I could see a traditionalist like @peddlerscross weeping at the sense of occasion watching this

https://x.com/gaaclare/status/1814517248142225725?s=46&t=bi9TPLB4aIa07RQv_xWOxQ

1 Like

Our social media guy is better than yer social media guy

1 Like

They put in as little of Davy as they could get away with

Brilliant to see the debate about who will take over from cork or Clare raging even before the final has been playedā€¦

This rivalry has revitalised interest in hurling all over

4 Likes

Lads flat out here debating how slow or fast fortunes can change - can we all just settle on about 9 months?!

5 Likes

I think Cork are a very nice front foot team and have plenty of hurling and pace but talks of them dominating are a bit premature. From 1-9 they have decent players but are far from a crack unit, it is hard to think of any side that won multiple A/Is which didnā€™t have a really solid and mean defence.
They
will be there abouts for the next few years no doubt but nothing is guaranteed, their forwards have shown better this year at winning direct ball and primary possession but Iā€™m still a bit sceptical of their work rate without the ball - now both of these things can be improved upon - but I think they will need to take big steps in both to be a multiple A/I winning side.

3 Likes

Big timeā€¦they havenā€™t won the first one yet

1 Like

Heā€™ll be difficult to replace but cork have their 1-3-6 and 11 sorted for the next few seasons.

Tipp donā€™t and Clare donā€™t. Limerick possibly could but quaid could be moving on.

If you get those key positions in place itā€™s not too hard to fill in the gaps. Limerick never really had a dominant 3 and a 6 in my life time until 2018.

The one thing that impressed me most about this Tipp minor team was how they worked hard all through games. The final being the pinnacle of that. As @flattythehurdler says they were blessed to beat 14 man Galway but Iā€™d flip it and say they kept working hard and had the belief. Too often itā€™s been levelled at Tipp sides that they donā€™t work hard enough despite the skill levels. This side bucks the trend. A real testament to the players and the management. The oul lad was singing their praises early on in the season as being very skilful but also hard working. Takes a lot to impress him as you well know.

3 Likes

Galway have 11 minors won since 99. Limerick have zero.

In that period Limerick have 5 senior alll Irelands won and Galway have won one.

Itā€™s almost like reading into under 17s results is rather meaningless.

1 Like

Might be for a different thread but a right glitch in this structure is the Munster final losers have to beat the Leinster 3rd placed team and the Leinster winners to qualify for the all Ireland.

1. He absolutely is.
  2. He absolutely is.
  3. He absolutely has.

Met him a few years back at Poc Fada and seemed an alright sort.

Horgan is an incredibly skilled player but lacked the
Physical prowess to really dominate games.

I wouldnā€™t have him in the same breadth as canning, tj reid, callanan and the likes.

A bit like dimitar berbatov if comparing to other sports. He definitely has amazing skill tbf to him.

But itā€™s looking past the results at U17/minor that matter too. Teams have won minors and U17 due to their sheer size. KK this year nearly did. Itā€™s hard to coach that resilience and work rate but Tipp had it in spades and thatā€™ll stand to these players. it also helps that they are extremely skilful. Ideally youā€™d want a viable U23 championship to keep developing U17s as the gap between an U17 breaking into a senior team is at least 6 years with S and C and all that.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say seamus harmedy is a far more deserving all Ireland winner. Heā€™s some tough man and has been for 12 or 13 years now.

Was it Sean og that said a fella was on the cork team whoā€™s club heā€™d never heard off?

An awful ignorant comment that stuck with me.

5 Likes

I think thatā€™s an interesting point. Trying to keep the development going from under 20s is very tricky. Even more so if you donā€™t have a clutch of good lads already playing senior county hurling at a high standard to help beds lad in. Then matching them altogether with a good coaching ticket.

Cork had three huge slices of luck this year to stay in the championship this year. If they didnā€™t I assume the management team would have been removed and it would have been another fresh start with more retirements.

Minors were useful, but U21s with the 7 year lead-in was always the more useful guide, and in that regard the 2018 Cork U21 runners-up are coming good as expected. Remains to be seen if the move to U20 will affect that forecasting.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never understood this criticism of Horgan supposedly not being able for the physical stuff. Like anyone he can have an off day, but he has been out in front winning ball and winning the frees he strokes over for years now. Has literally carried Cork at times.

6 Likes