All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

On Collins puckout, one thing I didn’t really understand was why he sped up his puckout when we were picking up steam in the last few mins of extra time. It was like he couldn’t give it back to us fast enough.

Sport is a strange beast.

2 weeks ago Kiely stood there watching Cork win something like 9 puckouts in a row
 2 weeks later Pat Ryan is watching the inverse happen.

It was strange that there was no plan B from Cork.

1 Like

A few random thoughts having watched it back a few times over the last few days

The touch from SĂ©amus Harnedy’s fourth point was exquisite. To control the ball at pace, spin and strike at that speed was incredible.

By the same token, TK had a super score just at the end of the first period of extra time where he killed a rocket of a Coleman sideline cut from 10 yards away in the sideline stone dead and in the same motion arrowed right and away from his man and flashed it over the bar from 50 yards out. Didn’t get the credit it deserved due to other heroics.

The much maligned Eibhear Quilligan was rock solid, his distribution was top class especially in open play.

The posts and by extension Hawkeye denied what would have been another 4 or 5 excellent scores had they gone over.

Cathal Malone did a fabulous job on Darragh Fitz, who to his credit tried his heart out. He has really matured as a hurler this year - caught a super ball over the head of Conlon at one stage and pointed in when Cork badly needed a score.

Conlon left it all out there - win lose or draw he wasn’t going to be going home wondering anyway.

As I said earlier Rob Downey had a fine game as did his brother but two moments standout in my mind, one in the first half when O’Donnell had half a goal chance but took too much out of it, the ball fell to him and rather than tidy it up he just kicked it 10 yards to nobody, Aidan Mc picked it up and pointed.
Then on the Fitz goal chance in extra time, Eoin gathered the loose ball and just drove it into the stand. TK pointed after a short sideline. In a tight game they were cheap scores.
Think Rob also put one into an unmarked David Fitz hand under no pressure but he somehow put it wide with 15 to go.

Nothing seemed to come off for Ethan Twomey, there was one stage he needed about five attempted to lift a bobbly ball into his hand and then as soon as he did he turned back into Ryan Taylor who took it off him and left him on his arse.

Hogan and Leen won their battles but I was impressed with the movement and willingness to contest ball by Brian Hayes - he had a great battle with Cleary and then Lohan in extra time.

10 Likes

Lohan surviving at full back for the entire of extra time was one of the more remarkable aspects of the match.

2 Likes

He is an inside back and very comfortable back there. Doesn’t like the loose space at midfield

I enjoyed his performance, he knew his limitations and just went out and spoiled. Never let his man win a clean ball. There was one super flick on a high ball when it looked like Hayes had stolen a march on him, think O’Flynn or Kingston ended up pointing the loose ball.

He scrambled to great effect.

https://twitter.com/NoPlanBGAA/status/1815756445339496539?t=VunvJ7LCIu6k-_kSjxoUhw&s=19

He sent one absolute arrow to David Fitzgerald - think it was in the first half - who was standing in the middle of the field. Fitzgerald didn’t have to budge an inch to receive (and then proceeded to direct the ball over the bar, which was probably the bigger wonder given the day that was in it)

2 Likes

They’re getting very salty about it.

1 Like

I wonder will cork have a new fitness coach in? Maybe Clare are further down the line given it Lohans fifth season and only Pat Ryan’s 2nd but it looked an issue to me on Sunday.

1 Like

If i didn’t know better id be thinking lads here are obsessed with Limerick.

1 Like

If Cork had won by a point, would it be considered an issue?

2 Likes

Ya it’s very fair. Results based analysis and maybe it’s a programme too where’ll they improve naturally next season as well.

Clare didn’t look fresh at all in 2022 v Kilkenny in the semi final but they were flying this year.

1 Like

As you say, small margins.

Looking at the physical build of the Limerick lads from 2018 to this year they actually look like different people.

1 Like

I heard on the radio he only made his county debut at age 27. I suppose lads by that age would have thought they’d have missed the boat and gone on the piss or abroad etc. Fair play to him.

6 years doing weights/ S&C on even a semi-consistent basis would absolutely transform anybody’s physique

Anyone except Ger Millerick apparently. cc @Turenne

See also Davy Fitz, 2005 semi-final

1 Like