All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Hegarty is unlucky not to get one but he was poor in the semi final. He had a more consistent year than Rodgers, Kelly and Hayes IMO

He might deserve it but wonā€™t get it. Heā€™s blanked rte and refuses to be interviewed. He put in at least two motm performances this year but was overlooked.
It will be Nickie and thatā€™s it .

Iā€™d say Kyle could lose out because of the dark forces at work.

Then you are left imo with quaid, hego and Dan m as limericks 3 best players. Hego in a seriously competitive spot and could lose to either Duggan or Davy fitz assuming Barrett and harmedy get one. He was favourite for hurler of the year at the end of provincial series.

So then youā€™ve quaid and Dan Morrissey. Nothing between Collins, quaid and Quilligan. Quilligan had his best game last though and made
A couple of YouTube saves along the way.

Maybe Limerick will get blanked but I think it could be a back door one for Dan Morrissey. Did the hurler of year get two points from play v Limerick in two games?

Itā€™s between him, Eoin Downey and Cleary. Remember Eoin Downey was a sub early doors and hooked v Limerick in the round robin. He finished well tbf.

I dont see how Hayes can get one.

In the game that really mattered he was largely ineffective and for all the talk of Cork bypassing him, they got a number of scores down his wing and he was in centre back for the bones of twenty minutes and didnā€™t really do anything. His moment of madness in Pairc Ui Chaoimh kept Cork in the Championship too.

Iā€™m not sure playing well versus hapless Tipperary and Waterford outfits entitles one to an All Star.

6 Likes

When he went to centre back Limerick were 6 down and completely turned the game around. Did cork score 2 points after he moved in?

Made the RTƉ panels team the other night though to be fair. Heā€™s the only Limerick outfield player that I can see with a chance of getting one.

My TOTY

Quaid

Hogan
Downey
Leen

David mc
Downey
Kyler

Cian kenny
Darragh fitz

David Fitz
Barrett
Harnedy

Hayes
O Donnell
Rodgerā€™s

Clare 6
Cork 6
Limerick 2
KK 1

Lee Chin a player unlucky to miss out but was poor in the QF, not helped by johny Murphy given a phantom red to O Connor.

2 Likes

I think your overegging his impact.

It was more a case of Cork getting white line fever.

1 Like

He was a one man band back there too v cork in puc.

He played v the eventual champions twice and had good games both days as well.

Iā€™d definitely have him as our best back this year.

Weā€™re lucky to have Roy to write about an occasion like Sunday.

Only the story telling tradition within sports writing and commentating can do any sort of justice to it. It was not a game that is meant to be analysed dryly. It was a passion play that is meant to have art written about it. It was art not science, and only art is adequate to reflect it.

We need more Peter Allisses/Con Houlihans/Joe Brollys/Hugh McIlvanneys/Kevin Cashmans and Roy Curtises and less Paul McGinleys/Enda McNultys/Lee Keegans/Michael Verneys/Jamie Heaslips.

We need people who can write or who speak and who GET IT.

Syl is my favourite local radio commentator. A superb nuts and bolts commentator, but his strength is his voice always weaves a story. Is the full commentary of the final available anywhere?

3 Likes

Lee chin will be mentioned as one best without an all Ireland medal soon.

Will cork get 6. They lost 3 games in the championship this year. Granted there is huge importance put on performances in the AI final above all other games. I reckon Clare will get 8.

He got an all-star in 2019. So did Dee Oā€™ Keefe.

Despite all the tension I had a bit of a chuckle when Johnny pulled David Fitz up and stopped the play for a collision right after ROFā€™s goal attempt. Fitz made a big show of how frustrated he was, banging the hurley off the ground etc. At that stage I think he had 10 shots missed. It was hard to get too mad at Johnny for denying us the chance to see miss no. 11.

4 Likes

He might get a nomination alright

If he goes to Knock it could get him back on the right side of the pundits.

2 Likes

Heā€™s exceptional. Probably up there with the best Wexford players this millennium.

Gillane can absolve him

You can only admire Fitz confidence, I think pretty much every other player on the pitch would have wavered with such profligacy - Fitz was doubling down!

We will never see such an enigma again

1 Like

Fuck me when he went for the goal that time. And then missing one from 4 yards afterwards.