All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

He probably would have been around that alright. Molloy is two years older than Lane; he hurled Senior IC for 16 years, compared to 13 years for Lane. Two good servants in their time, but very different hurlers. Lane had a nasty streak in him, whereas Molloy was clean as a whistle. Molloy’s goal against Limerick in 1980 was as bizarre as you’d see in an AIF.

1 Like

Bit of truth in that. I enjoyed it myself not being from either county but their was some awful wides from both sides, notably David Fitz, Ăł Flynn and Jack o Connor had one which will haunt him.
Saying that some of the scores, catching and teamwork was quality.

He was absolutely brutal in the first half of the semi final, every ball he hit turned to shit. Overall I think he has regressed this year, legs a little slower, distribution a little off. Came good in the final though , which is what will be remembered.

1 Like

GAA fans only recall the last game and nothing previous to that is relevant.

Ah shur, you guys will always have the ‘We beat Limerick’ trophy.

1 Like

Best thing about Syl is that he gets the game and that there isn’t an ounce of meanness in him. Local commentators can sometimes be the type that love to be outraged and angry. Syl always gives the opposition the respect and the appreciation they deserve which is a sign of a good soul.

9 Likes

Yeah there has to be a hard and fast rule on it applied by all refs surely. What is the current rule?

The 5 minute period after Cork’s goal is what really won it for Clare. Robert Downey collects ball almost immediately after the goal and is tackled head high by Fitzgerald i think who had his arm around the neck of Downey and pulls his head back. Johnny Murphy is looking at this and gives a free in for over carrying. This settles Clare. Down the other end Hoggie completely mishits a free and Cork momentum stalls…Clare go down the other end and goal.

It’s funny how the narrative goes for some teams and players.
For the McCarthy goal SOD threw the ball to Duggan, and then when he regathered after Duggan was dispossessed he takes 7 steps and offloads it with the most blatant throw you’ll ever see to McCarthy.

Clare also brought their players a little deeper from here and helped their half backline who were at sea till around the 12th minute… Barrett had two points in the first ten minutes but once Clare cut off the space he didn’t score again.

A little luck, questionable refereeing and a good tactical call from Lohan. Clare took over from here and should have won it by 6/7 points in normal time.

4 Likes

I’ll leave that to one of the refs on here but we must close to averaging 80-90 puck outs a game at this rate between the two teams.

Hegos 2022 All Ireland Final Performance will never be beaten.

1 Like

Again?

Between that and SOD 2013 for best individual performance of all time I reckon.

1 Like

Actually forgot about the kilkenny match. Shocking bad in the first half, but stormed into it in the 2nd half.

1 Like

Something that wasn’t captured on the match broadcast which I’m sure @peddlerscross will agree was an iconic piece of Johnny Murphy-ing was early in the second period of extra time, Millerick had been needling Tony Kelly for about 90 seconds off the ball, as Aidan Mc stood over a free Kelly gave Millerick a shove to stop him pulling and dragging him and Millerick threw himself down like a bag of rags.

Johnny in his own indomitable style walked over keeping us all in suspense before doing a rather theatrical hand gesture to tell Millerick to get the fuck up off the ground and cop on.

12 Likes

That was lovely to watch. Millerick got his tae handed to him for his fuckacting

Clare didn’t get one free in the second half. That must be incredibly rare.

Did Cork lay a glove on them? Clare pushed the boundaries of what was allowed, Cork saw this and did nothing. That’s the learning they need to take… They were bullied all over the field.

1 Like

Wexford didn’t concede a free in the second half vs Limerick in 1996

3 Likes

That’s impressive knowledge.

1 Like

I see a lot of people saying Clare will break up now but I’d be amazed if they don’t all come back and try win a Munster final next season and stop the seven in a row.

I’d be amazed if they don’t all come back.