All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Iā€™d say only Morey and Paul Flanagan are likely to walk away.

Cathal Malone is going travelling and told the bridge at the start of the year he wouldnā€™t be playing club championship this winter. Might be a likelihood that he could opt out.

But aside from that the rest will return. There is also a number of lads with potential to break into the 15/20 and I think we will need a couple of new additions to freshen things up for next year and keep lads on their toes.

1 Like

Yes my immediate thoughts were Clare could break up but I was thinking more about it this morning and done a 180.

They are much older now as well so might handle the celebrations a little better than a younger team.

Yeah that was outstanding.

I havent watched the game back yet, but in what minute was the attempted decapitation of Barrett? You just knew Johnny was in the zone when he ignored that.

20 minutes or so in.

They show a good replay - genuine attempt to play the ball. Was Conlonā€™s hand/top of the hurley on the follow through which caught Barrett. Play on no more about it

Already has, by Tony Kelly.

2 Likes

No chance, start to finish Hego by a distance.

I was doing a bit of work around the house last year when the Clare v Limerick round robin was on I think. Probably a GAAGo fiasco game. Anyway, I had Syl on the radio for the entirety and he was fantastic. He managed to intertwine fairness and passion.

Sylā€™s voice is magical. He encompasses everything you want in a GAA commentator. He has a big game voice, he has gravitas, he makes you feel a game is important and dramatic, like David Begg of Ye Olde BBC Scotland football commentaries. He has the rich, musical tones of an Irish Eddie Butler.

He has the intangible factor that great GAA commentators have, that MicheĆ”l Oā€™Muircheartaigh had - his voice evokes sunshine and a summer breeze by the seaside and ice cream. He evokes summer like that song Remember When by Heathers evokes summer.

He evokes communality, the voice of a county, but his commentaries are accessible to everybody, rivals, neutrals. He evokes timelessness and continuity and permanance. He is that familiar ā€œfriendā€ on the wireless that the GAA is supposed to be.

I refuse to get Go Go TV just so I can listen to his commentaries.

I donā€™t think anybody was actually listening to him live on the radio on Sunday, but Iā€™m sure he knew that. Local radio All-Ireland final commentaries are only supposed to be listened to on the Tuesday or Wednesday afterwards.

1 Like

I remember that the last play of that game was Mike Houlihan driving a free in low towards the Wexford goal, which was cleared. Itā€™s possible it may have been a 65 though?

Free

They might have committed fouls but the ref Willie Denton (?) hardly gave Limerick a free after sending Eamon Scallan(?) off

Pat Horan was the referee.

1 Like

Denton. :grin:

That will bring them out from under the rocks

1 Like

I could have googled it but fuckit ā€¦

Time to move on you buddy, yeā€™ve had yere time & fair play to ye. Ye had a great system & manufactured lads perfectly to fit the system, but ye never had a natural player of the calibre of Tony Kelly.

2 Likes

Kelly is an all time great and his performance last week was an all time great display, but not as good as hegarty 2022. He scored less over a longer time, and without the range of contributions or sustained involvement hegarty had. SOD in 2013 is probably the greatest individual display. On the calibre of Kelly, you couldnā€™t trade hegarty for him, Kelly just doesnā€™t have as much in the locker, Hegarty has a much higher ceiling.

Hegarty can play Gaelic football and thatā€™s about the only thing heā€™s better at than Tony Kelly.

16 Likes

Youā€™re being a bit silly there. Hurling is a game with a huge range of skills and where a huge range of attributes are needed. Kelly is certainly better at some of them, Hegarty is better at more of them. Hegarty has greater range in his game, he is capable of contributing more than Kelly, I donā€™t think anyone can argue that.

What about winning All Irelands?

He is 6 foot 10, Kelly is 5 foot 5, makes sense

3 Likes