All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

My immediate reaction was Barrett left himself wide open. He went out to catch the ball in front of Conlon with his hurl down around his waist. That incident showed the changes in underage coaching over 12 years. In Conlon’s day, no way would you compete for a ball without protecting your hand with the hurl. Barrett thought all he had to do was be out in front. Nope.

1 Like

TK is an artist, Hego was a technician.

Th Edward Leane playing for Ardfert here at 11 years old is Conor Leens Dad

You would actually be arrested if you did it now

2 Likes

Did the a turn to an e getting off the boat in kilrush?

They changed the spelling at the immigrant reception centre on Slattery island

1 Like

12 minutes in.

Looks like the bbc coverage really helped. Hopefully gaa go is binned next season.

Has @Tassotti signed in yet? I’d say Fintan did untold inside in Queen’s on Monday night.

2 Likes

You might be right, all I know is Hego had a better final by a distance.

He did, he was MOTM in that final.

It just wasn’t as good a performance overall as Kelly’s

Fingers crossed he’ll sign in. Was surely
Home for the Willie Clancy anyway.

Tony’s was grand, a good old trier.

You’re fooling no one now

Three absolutely outstanding scores excepted Tony Kelly didn’t have one of his best games on Sunday, I think the worry was that it would never be seen again,
There was a report here a few months ago that a long term debilitating injury meant that he was never likely to achieve the heights again.

Personally I think Kelly is a better hurler than Hegarty, and a more effective hurler but I totally understand Limerick fans backing their man

He’s handy I’ll give him that & well done to him.

This is hurting you

A sublime goal against a shy defence and two good points.

But you wouldn’t describe it as a performance really. He was missing for the vast majority of the game… But you carry top players at times for the moments of magic. But that’s what they were, a few moments.

I think Kelly was having one of his quietly effective yet understated games for the first half & into the second half. Keen observer @Big_Dan_Campbell cited how he was criticised for his Kilkenny semi-final display last year but he’d actually been on loads of ball & assumed a play making role. I thought he was doing a version of that for large parts - I think he set up the first two Clare points of the game, for example, if my memory is correct.

Delivering medium range passes into the forwards, slipping shorter passes to others, getting on breaks, carrying ball & hand passing it to support runners etc etc.

But then he sprinkled stardust on the occasion with the goal & was on another planet from then on. The points he scored after that were each works of art & he was other worldly. Only the bard of Baggot/Fleet/Poolbeg/South Anne Street, Roy Curtis, could properly do his performance justice. Those individual scores were about as good as it gets in terms of skill, poise, balance & the balls to do it on the biggest day when the need was greatest. Unbelievable stuff.

13 Likes

I would struggle to give Collins or Quilligan the all star.

Collins has been letting in soft goals for a number of years. Rodgers goal in the final is straight at him. Any senior club keeper at any decent standard of hurling would be expected to save that.

Quilligan had a howler vs Kilkenny in the semi.

3 Likes

Twice just to make sure

Should keep you warm over the winter

1 Like