All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

I’ll be staying away from league,but will be back following the footballers,just for punishment like

Every one of Kelly’s scores came when the game was level or Clare were a point down

3 Likes

Quaid should get that all-star

2 Likes

Kelly got on a lot of ball and retained it in the opening 20 minutes when Clare were being over ran. He looked to do a nice bit of defensive cover as well.

Think we’ll be just fine bud. Hope TK had a good night, nice hurler.

Collins has been much improved this year and was phenomenal for a stretch of games. He had a poor final.

It definitely wasn’t quaids best year either. I’m not sure there was much difference between all three of them and possibly even the forgotten about Eoin Murphy

I think he had a good chance of saving the one goal but there’s always an element of luck in getting the stick on it

His distribution wasn’t bad at all, the puck out strategy can’t all be on him, he put the ball where it was meant to go

Whatever about Kyle Hayes transgressions you really can’t be giving awards to the likes of Eoin Murphy, great and all as he is,

Felt he was very slow at hitting his men. Few times Barrett and Dalton had some space and Collins failed to hit them in time. You’re right, he can’t take the full blame for the puckout strategy failing.

Johnny Murphy’s warning probably put him off trying quick ones.

1 Like

Totally. Puck outs offensive.

You don’t say. It was hit straight at him for ffs. You’re so tied up in double speak you can’t see the woods from the trees.

But he has a Munster medal, same year as last time Clare won league ironically!

Did he jump out of the way 🫨

Not far off it to be honest.

Exactly. Shrewd lads like @bandage called this above.

Idiots will always be thus.

All of the semi final keepers have a few charges against them this year. I wouldn’t mind seeing Quilligan get it on the redemption arc. The man debuted at 27. Some going.

I tipped TK for MOTM before a ball was pucked on Sunday on this very site. I felt that in the semi final, he delivered when the chips were down like all time greats do (despite the fact many would have had him subbed off by then).

As others had alluded to (@Bandage @Big_Dan_Campbell), he was effective in the first half but not necessarily obviously so (although I think it may have been mentioned in the commentary at some stage about it being about the notes he wasn’t playing… An analogy that would be lost on Marty).

When the game needed a hero, he stepped forward. You can say what you want about the defending but to have the audacity/ thinking/ skill to pull that goal off on the biggest stage of all when it was truly needed is the clear sign of an all-time great. The point to put them one up in injury time was majestic.

His performance was truly worthy of the MOTM and befitting of a career that’s not over yet. It reminded me in parts of (my own very biased experienced in the flesh) the Noel McGrath MOTM of 2019 where he pulled all the strings but strangely combined with the Lar Corbett of 2010 where it felt like he was involved in the match about three times but all of those were vital and led to the ultimate difference between the two sides (9 points from those three plays in an 8 point win). Every countyman here will be able to compare it to the performances from their own county and their own lived experiences I’m sure but to me it was one of the most critical individual efforts in my experiences of watching All Ireland finals. Simply put, if his injury woes prevented him from playing, I don’t think Clare are winning without TK. Anyone who doesn’t recognise his greatness knows fuckall about hurling and probably never held a hurley (or a hurl if you’re a heretic) in their lives.

21 Likes

I wonder is Tony Kelly the only man to win an all Ireland in his teens and his 30s but not his 20s?

1 Like