All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Don’t think so?

I think Stephen Stack (Kerry) is one in football. Panel member who got a medal without playing in 1986 as a 19 year old. Played in 1997 at 30.

Can’t find any others.

How old was Declan Ryan in 1991? He won one again in 2001. Still wouldn’t put him in the teens and thirties bracket, as it’s only 10 years apart.

thanks, great win. Cork gave value to the supporters but we are a fraction better currently

1 Like

Are you trying to tell us Collins and Quilligan are on a par with Quaid?
Nicky had an another good season and should comfortably take the All Star. He is the one player who Limerick cannot afford to be without. When he does retire, it’s a massive job trying to fill his boots.

2 Likes

JBM did it across the two codes

2 Likes

I still remember him as clear as day in the 73 final. He was some footballer.

3 Likes

No the all stars are based on this season. The past has nothing to do with it. He’s the superior keeper but I’m not sure this year he was so superior.

His performances were better other years when he didn’t get one.

My mother used to say he was better looking than Rock Hudson (apparently that was a good thing) when he came on the scene
She especially loved him because she used to see him walking his greyhounds as a young fella

3 Likes

She didn’t mind that he had the boot boy haircut at the time? That really marked him out. He was as cool as fuck.

1 Like

Big Dec won an All Ireland in '80s (89), 90s (91) and 00s (01).
He was 21 for his first and 33 for his last.

1 Like

I have a mental block around 1989, for some reason.

He played the '88 final as well.

For what it was worth…

I’v said it before here but the way lads have asterisked recent All Irelands you’d really have to question the value of 89…

Tipp bate woeful Limerick and Waterford teams, had Galway and poor Tony Keady done up like a kipper and then bate Antrim.

2 Likes

muttley-laugh

The limericks

2 Likes

Always glad to give a chuckle, shortens the day!

I try to be respectful to the limericks because they’re absolutely harmless to a man, but they’d have you believe some jolly green giant Goran Ivanisivicing the fuck out of Kilkenny a couple of years ago was better to watch than Tony Kelly’s wizardry on Sunday.

23 Likes

Brilliant alliteration and poetic quality to that post, throw in one more G for Gearoid!

History would have been kinder to them if they’d won one All Ireland with a bunch of hurlers rather than five with a load of Rubby League players.

2 Likes