All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

I don’t actually recall Nicky English taking frees, Fox and Cleary stand out from those eras as free takers

The first time I saw Kelly was in a minor match and I couldn’t believe the ref was letting it off, you’d barely notice it now

1 Like

Have not seen that format previously

Does this suggest Clare won more tos than cork?

More important is how many times you were turned over per Team possession

Often a team can be turned over more than the opposition but when you take into account how many possessions they have as a team, their ball retention/use of ball may have been better.

The graphic doesn’t tell the story very well

Example, team A might have have 90 possessions, being turned over 25 times (1 turnover conceded per 3.60 possessions)

Team B might have had 105 possessions being turned over 28 times (1 turnover per 3.75 possessions)

Narrative will be Team A won the turnover battle since they were turned over less. However, Team B actually won it

2 Likes

The graphics is not helpful

1 Like

No, I do not think I can add to what was said already about Tony Kelly and Shane O’Donnell. @Cheasty has summed up the relevant maths well.

A highly interesting career in this vein is Denis Walsh of Tubberadora and Tipperary. Born on February 10, 1877, he won the 1895 AIF (a contest played on March 15, 1896).

DW won three further AIFs in 1896, 1898 and 1899 seasons. He then won a fifth AIF in 1916 (a contest played on January 17, 1917). Therefore DW won his fifth Senior title 21 seasons after his first one, when he had just turned 19.

6 Likes

Jim Ware, Waterford’s goalkeeper in 1948 AIF, is seemingly the oldest man to win a Senior title. He was born on February 23, 1908.

1 Like

You’re a gas man. :rofl:

1 Like

There’s a few lads simmering for nearly 3 weeks now

Didn’t Cork have a perfectly good goal ruled out in the semi final where there was no throw?

Against Limerick?

1 Like

Cork had limericks number. They had it good and proper.

1 Like

If you don’t count the 8/9 steps yeah

Which is gas because the limericks haven’t executed a proper handpass in three years…

1. That’s mad. He was like a man of 35 a year later. He really wasn’t looked after well

I lol’d at that.

1 Like

Getting injections in back constantly from around 07/08. Not good for you.

How are you today pal?

Carried a team for years. Took its toll!

I remember I think it was 2009 there were rumours all week he couldn’t play against Cork because of the back. There was some roar when he flew out to the field for the warm up.

Pulling the divil by the tail

Good man!