All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

And yourself, would your arse be well in two halves?

Im the finest yes

Mental stuff. I think he said they were epidurals in an interview if I remember correctly.

I didnā€™t know that the black guard / last man back incident was a red herring. The cork lad didnā€™t have control of the ball so it couldnā€™t have been given regardless of the circumstances.

A bit of a loop hole imo.

https://twitter.com/conormckenna98/status/1816563482344497276?s=46

Johnny Dooley was the first I remember doing that. He wouldnā€™t steal yards but the ball wouldnā€™t leave the bas until it was knee height at least.

What is the wording of the rule? Iā€™m probably wrong but I think from reading it, itā€™s open to interpretation and you could argue that the action isnā€™t a foul. Iā€™m probably wrong as Iā€™ve not read it in a while.

Think it used to be very clear that you canā€™t do this, but would need to check. I even have a vague recollection that in the boardgame ā€˜Paircā€™ there was a card that cancelled out a scored free for this reason.

There is actually nothing in rule to prohibit resting the ball on the hurl when taking a free. Itā€™s only a foul if you bounce the ball on the stick as youā€™re then deemed to have played it twice.

1 Like

Maybe thatā€™s how itā€™s defined now but it definitely was not like that in practice 20+ years ago. Refs would pull you for it.

Regarding players who persistently foul the ball (and get away with it), Iā€™m sorry to say TJ Reid is the Number 1 culprit. His free taking technique is the initial jab lift, followed by a mini carry of the sliotar. He fouls the ball all day long.

1 Like

It was never defined any differently, in as much as itā€™s barely defined in rule at all, but, yes, I remember refs pulling for it alright, particularly in underage games back in the day.

Gas man.

You must have game watched at least 10 times now to be able to keep coming up with these comments.

1 Like

I watched it wance. And saw the highlights.

:person_shrugging:t2:

Great final ā€¦congrats to Clare deserved championsā€¦ Hard luck Cork

*Tony Kelly ā€¦Greatness stamped

*felt for Harnedyā€¦great warrior

*wonderful to see the way an all-ireland win galvanises a county and lifts moraleā€¦Winter will be short in the Banner countyā€¦an economic godsend for the local economy ā€¦Wouldnā€™t it be great to see a county like Waterford winning one tooā€¦the place would go mentalā€¦ same for the long suffering football supporters of Mayo/ Monaghan/Kildare etc etc etc

*surprised Johnny Murphy was given the game in the first place based on what ive seen this year of him

*At the end of the day Clare were just that bit more battle hardened and bloody mindedā€¦Same reason Armagh will win on Sunday

An alright sort

15 Likes

Apparently lehane was the only player on the bench that cork didnā€™t use ???

Donā€™t think Padraig Power featured either.

Paul Flanagan and Rory Hayes were the unused outfield Clare subs

1 Like

Nice piece

I donā€™t really like this ā€œwe knew weā€™d be last men standing businessā€
They didnā€™t, and needed a large slice of luck.
Itā€™s demeaning to cork.
Amazing the difference a single point makes.
Victor ludorum I suppose.

1 Like