All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Father of Liz

I see he was born in the well but hurled with croom. I wonder was there no club in the well back then?

Either no club or no senior club. That often happened. My own father hurled with their near rivals in the 70s due to them being senior and his own club not.

1 Like
1 Like

Isn’t that the general idea of a free taker?

1 Like

That’s a good team

Considine again fairly clueless

2 Likes

Shane Barrett has to be in.

Thought he was in it mate

Some stipulations need to be put in when you’re picking a team. Including league is a bit silly imo.

Couple of big calls, thought Lawlor was poor v Clare in the semi final and Barrett is more deserving than the two Clare lads in the half forward line over the full championship but wouldn’t have too many qualms with it as both had big finals.

Cathal Malone deserves one but think will be left out again.

1 Like

Possibly one for the unpopular opinions thread but Kelly shouldn’t get one. Great performance in the final but really didn’t merit one up til then, not even in the conversation. It’s supposed to be an award for sustained excellence over the season.

1 Like

On the all stars - it is kind of a feast or famine this year with certain positions like half forward and half back having a glut of worthy candidates and other areas not so much.

Lee Chin aside I don’t think there is any kind of outside contender for one outside of the four semi finalists and even then I think Kilkenny will be hard pushed to get one.

Keeper is a toss up between Quaid and the two finalists. Any of the three could win it.

Corner backs look to be nailed down by Leen and Hogan. O’Leary deserves credit for a solid year.

Full back - no outstanding candidate - Case could be made for either Cleary or Downey here. Both Lawlor and Dan Morrissey too but I think there are more deserving lads from the semi finalists.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see a half back accommodated here either.

Wing back is a blood bath - any of the three Clare half backs, Downey could be accomdated here, Blanchfield, Carey, Kyle Hayes all had really good years. Could go any way.

Centre back is a coin flip between Rob Downey and Conlon - a couple of pundits have Downey at three which isn’t the worst cop out.

Midfield - Darragh Fitz is nailed on, his partner could be Malone, TK, Cian Kenny or David Fitz as a large number of people refer to him as a midfielder due to wearing number 8. I’d like to see Kenny or Malone rewarded here but think they will put TK or Fitz here to free up a forward spot.
TOM worthy of a nomination after two good showings in Croker.

Half forward a blood bath. Duggan, Fitz, Barrett, Harnedy all in the mix - Rodgers, SOD and TK could easily be accommodated here. Chin, Donnelly, Hegarty and CON all had good years too. A lot of options.

Full forward line is tough, I would have thought Connolly was in pole position but was anonymous in the final. Hayes battled to the end and probably should get in ahead of him. SOD and Rodgers likely tio be included here due to depth at half forward.
Gillane was excellent in the semi final and Mossie Keoghan had a good year too.

You picked gillane on your team based on one performance.

You are judging Tony Kelly by Tony Kelly standards rather than against his peers. He started four games out of 8 yet was the joint second highest scoring player from play in the championship.

11 Likes

I thought he was good all year and outstanding in the semi.

:roll_eyes:

Kelly started 4 games and played well in all of them. He is a nailed-on All-Star.

Was he that? I stand corrected so, I would never have thought that. I don’t think I was judging him by kelly standards, I hadn’t thought he was impactful at all til the final. Even in the semi, despite the scores at the end he was a passenger all game. I probably didn’t see all Clare’s Munster games.