All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Yes. Totally forgot him. How many of that Tipp squad are in Cahill’s squad now? O’Connor, Bowe, the Ryans, Connolly?

Ormond gone from it?

Sean Hayes played v Limerick this year.

Tipp wrote off those 2020/2021 u20 panels fairly lively.

They should almost certainly make the semi finals an open draw.

Whoever loses the Munster final next year will likely have an armchair ride into the final again like Clare this year.

A bit of a glitch in the format.

animated-diarrhea-poop-pu5guy4lw2b3lzs0

That is all well and good but there is no context in naming those names. Making the 26 wasn’t really a big deal, lads from the under 20s were being parachuted into the 26 throughout the campaign - Conor Hegarty, Aidan Moriarty and Keith Smyth who wasn’t even starting for the 20s that year all made championship 26s that year due to a serious lack of depth.

There were a number of folks in Clare who would have said the only reason Darragh was there in 2022 was nepotism, while he may have been on the 26 he was nowhere near championship ready or was there any expectations he would ever be a solid championship hurler 2 years ago.

Shanagher came on v Cork in round two and had an even worse display that what he did in the A/I final and didn’t make the 26 again until the Wexford match due to his form being miles off.

Neither Rodgers or Meehan who were 21 and 20 had started a championship match. Rodgers got injured playing in the Fitz semi final and only returned to training shortly before the Munster final. Meehan was struggling with a groin injury for weeks heading into championship and did it again in the warm up in the first round v Tipp and missed a fair shot of training pre championship and the first three rounds. Neither of Rodgers or Meehan were ever close to match fit and in starting contention that championship in 2022 but got minutes due to a lack of other options off the bench.

2 Likes

Is Meehan playing any football now? He was an unreal minor

Playing Intermediate club with the Banner.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say there’s too many full backs at that level looking forward to marking him

1 Like

The Banner have another lad who was on last years A/I minor winning team and played for the 20s hurlers this year in Ronan Kilroy who had serious pace too and plays both for the banner.

I’d say many a junior a hurler or intermediate footballer would rue coming up against both this year.

1 Like

He missed a peno first day out a week or two back against Kilrush I think. They lost that one.

He’d be a handful but is probably double marked at club in both codes for that reason coupled with limitations of the team elsewhere.

They’ll take stopping in the Junior A hurling this year.

1 Like

They have another lad on the county football panel aswell I think? Meenaghan?

Rogers was a good bit off it for whatever reason in 2021(brought on and taken off vs Cork, though got a key score v Wexford iirc) and had his development stalled again in 22 with that Fitz injury in the Carlow IT pitch (was that astro?) as you say.

Pointing at these lads in 21 as a means of saying they were ready / onboard just ignores what they were put through from their minor years to making senior, especially during Covid.

The u21 results between 2016 and 2021 tell one bleak story, let alone the other shit going on. No question our team is back boned by the 2012-2015 teams + Conlon but think of what lads from 2016 on must have went through…
Waterford 3-23 Clare 1-11 2016
Limerick 1-28 Clare 1-15 - 2017
Clare 0-13 Limerick 3-18 - 2018
Cork 0-24 Clare 0-15 - 2019
Tipperary 1-19 Clare 0-12 - 2020
Limerick 1-27 Clare 0-17 - 2021

For 2 of those years two we were working with talent that had reached Munster minor hurling finals. Bizarre stuff went on but utterly predictable. Someone will make a fortune on an autobiography here especially if lads are transparent.

The 2019 side were very competitive and hurled well on the day. Think it was a tight enough game with 5 to go but Cork hit 6 on the spin to see it out.

A lot of those teams were poorly prepared but some were absolutely poxed by injury to key players too, losing lads very close to championship and the depth wasn’t there to replace them. Like that 2021 side were missing Meehan, Rodgers and Cian Galvin and a few others.

1 Like

Not disputing that at all and the opposition most years won Munster / AIs I think. But can you imagine where their confidence levels were joining senior squads on the back of all that…

1 Like

Yup, Robin Mounsey was bullied physically that day in 2021 as part of a two man full forward line with Diarmuid Cahill. They looked like boys against men at under 20s.

Less than 12 months later and Mounsey started the first round in Munster instead of an injured Shane Meehan and took Cathal Barrett for two points and worked like a dog.

To compound the point, the Clare team that started / subs that came on vs Cork in the qualifiers in 2015 had 16 AI medals and c.31 u21 AI medals between them that evening in Thurles. Beaten 3 points in a dreadful game and Galway walloped Cork after it.

Lohan turned Clare hurling around.

1 Like

List you were caught you with a stupid comment about cork just get over it and admit you were wrong. I’d say it was 11 of the Clare team that lost by 12 points to Kilkenny in 2022 that won the final this year while beating Kilkenny on the way.

So four new players in 2 years and one of those who started in 2022 was Ryan Taylor. Rodgers came on as a sub.

The idea when you claimed that cork were six players short was just wrong.

We all get things wrong. Just accept it.

What a pathetic post from a true loser. Do you enjoy just making up shit to fit whatever narrative you want to spew on here to get a few likes?

There was great sport in Dublin after both the semi final and final, save for the odd dickhead like yourself.

3 Likes

And 8 likes for it :rofl::rofl:
How easy is that :man_shrugging:

Where did I say Cork were six players short? I said that they had six lads that I think they could do with upgrading before jettisoning someone like Pat Horgan and probably need three new players to become a dominant force.

You are inadvertently proving my point, the Clare team of 2022 gave 5 excellent championship performances before running out of steam due to a lack of depth, management saw this and set about trying to address it. Clare were favourites to finish bottom in Munster that year given the amount of injuries they had that winter/spring leading into championship and fell flat for a finish, it happens.

Rather than standing still and assuming that they were close and with some better injury luck they tried to fix weaknesses and added depth. Clare are now all Ireland champions because they got Aidan McCarthy, Rodgers and more importantly Hogan and Leen into the starting team as all were improvements on the lads that they replaced, the two lads in the full backline meant that the backs became far more solid and the balance of the team improved as a result - they also had reinforcements for 5 to 12 in Galvin, Lohan and Taylor returning from injury which they didn’t have previously and they had a better balance in the forwards without Ian Galvin who is far better suited to the impact sub role.
They also tried to move on from Quilligan simply because they felt to win an A/I more was needed rather than Quilligan losing form, that move didn’t work but there has to be objectivity as to where you can improve.

Cork imho need a similar recalibration to improve their defence and strike a better balance in the middle third. 11 to 15 isn’t where their issues lie.

3 Likes