All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Clare have their underage structures in fine condition. Their minor team of 2023 was brilliant and they’ve been very competitive at u20/17 the last few years. They havd excellent schools structures too. They are not going anywhere.

Galway have bundles of hurlers but are probably still a bit hamstrung out West, it won’t take much for them to get back to being a top 4 side but they’ll probably always be that flakiness.

I would worry about Waterford who haven’t had a good minor team in a decade now at this stage, they don’t have a large player pool and are financially weak. Demographics are not helping either with ballygunnar having a monopoly of resources in the East and many other smaller clubs around mid and west Waterford struggling for numbers.

Cork have went 2 decades without an all Ireland and there’s no reason KK or Tipp won’t do the same if they don’t cop on.

2 Likes

Clare should travel the same way as they did for all those All Ireland semi finals they won over the last few years

Ducks is a great gaa word :smile::clap:

Tipp have had two excellent minor teams in the past three years while Clare have had two good ones and one excellent one, with a very strong crop coming again next year.

While Tipp may go on and dominate and win multiple all Irelands in the future and Clare are soon to say goodbye to the 3 in a row 21s group, but I think it is odd that someone would argue that Tipp will dominate and Clare completely fall away - Clare have a very solid group of core players to build their next side off aged between 20 and 24 which Tipp don’t have currently. Mightn’t lead to anything but Hogan, Diarmuid Ryan, Rodgers et al are marquee lads you can build a team around and there is serious talent in the county aged between 16 and 19.

3 Likes

That’s great but Kelly, O’Donnell, Conlon, McInerney and Duggan will all be gone soon and you don’t simply replace that. David Fitzgerald isn’t going to get any better than he is now.

Even as it is they’re sort of struggling to keep pace with the real top counties based on squad depth and have done exceedingly well to be there or thereabouts three years in a row. They’re maxing out, as people who speak newspeak say. They have one shot at the big prize on Sunday.

From what I’ve seen of tipp they have hardly one player good enough. Without that older group it’s very difficult for younger lads.

I’d liken it to the Limerick under 21 side that won three in a row 21s.

The Clare 13 team had loads of young lads but a few from the 09? 21 winning all Ireland. Even Limerick had quaid, hannon and Graeme mul as well.

If it’s all young lads it can be difficult to build a team.

Conlon
O’Donovan
Pat O’Connor
Cian Dillon
Conor McGrath
Colin Ryan
Darach Honan
Nickey O’Connell

Were all on the 2009 team and playing in the 13 finals

1 Like

I don’t see that cohort of lads in tipp. It can be so difficult to build a team from scratch.

Clare this year against Tipp and Waterford in championship had
Adam Hogan - 21
Conor Leen - 22
Diarmuid Ryan - 25
Cian Galvin - 22
Darragh Lohan - 24

Starting between 2 and 8 it is a decent starting point for the second half of the decade - they will need to blood and find a number of players over the next two or three years but they are there - Sean Rynne, John Conneally, Keith Smyth, Jack O’Neill to name a few all have the size and hurling needed and will get the opportunities shortly - that is before the 2023 minors come on stream and they are a deep group of athletic hurlers.

1 Like

Ya I wouldn’t know much about these Clare young lads tbh but it will be incredibly tough to replace the likes of sod, Tony Kelly, Duggan and the likes.
These fellas don’t grow on trees. They are generational talents. Tyrone have had plenty of minor and 21 success but they have never produced the calibre of players they had from 03 to 08.

Then getting the management ticket right too as well.

I think John kiely was offered the job in 2013 after John Allen and turned it down. It is often about timing.

I’d be surprised if we are close to winning all Irelands in 2026 to 2028 but there wont be a drop off like there was after the 95/97 group walked away in the mid 2000s. They will be at worst a solid side - like you say getting the next management and coaching ticket right will determine where they get to come the end of the decade when the 23/24/25 minors are up to speed

2 Likes

Yes you can, there’s no reason why some of that exceptional minor team cannot be future greats.

Tony Kelly is probably the only player you could say is goat territory and why can’t someone like Jack o neill, eoghan gunning or mark o brien be that next Goat?

Such weird logic.

If James Hegarty can continue on his trajectory he will be an outstanding senior centre back. Hopefully he will

2 Likes

Look you talking about underage hurling teams is a bit like me talking about maiden hurdlers, off that Tipp minor team Darragh McCarthy will play next year and is exceptional.

Euan Murray is the best minor since Noel McGrath.
There’s others like Sam O Farrell, Aaron O Halloran and Adam Daly who definitely have it.

I think there’s about 30 players in the 18-21 category that have the potential, I do doubt whether our county board can financially bolster to cultivate these lads in the same way Limerick did.

4 Likes

You can, if the players coming in are great players, but how likely is it? Tipp haven’t just replaced Podrick and Brendan Maher, Callanan and Bubbles despite winning two u-21/u-20 titles in a row.

Younger players have found it harder to step up since the age grade changes, very little in the way of stand out young players around in recent years in the senior championships.

It probably goes in fits and bursts but that minor/21 team was up there with the greatest of all time.

Of those successful Tipperary teams the most outstanding players were Jerome Cahill who didn’t commit, Ger Browne hasn’t pushed on, Dillon Quirke RIP and the verdict is still out on Jake Morris who I think can be great and Mark Kehoe who is running out of road.

Tipperary probably won a lot of those games due to excellent coaching of Cahill/Bevans.

Tipperary will always be strong underage as they have snipers in cooper helmets who will invariably clean off some of the ducks in other counties.

I’m not saying anything about the current minors. I’m saying it’s very hard to create a team from scratch. It doesn’t really matter how good the younger lads are. You completely missed the point.

It was said that Tipp don’t have an older group to build around. Depending on whether Tipp can get a good group of young players coming through over the next few years, a group of older players such as Craig Morgan, Ronan Maher, Paddy Cadell, Jake Morris and maybe two or three others is surely what you build around.

The notion that Limerick would have been building a young team around the likes of Graeme Mulcahy would have been considered ludicrous seven or eight years back and yet he was a very important pillar of their success. Like, how bad were Limerick in 2015 and 2016? They were terrible.

Younger players coming through can bring the best out of older fellas who haven’t done much in their careers so far.

I’m really not sure about that Tipp management team though, Cahill’s stock is seriously falling.

3 Likes

People saying that they hope Cork win it because Patrick Horgan deserves it is a load of horse shit.

1. He’s hardly up there with the greatest hurlers like Shefflin, Reid, Canning.
  2. He’s meant to be a weird cunt off the pitch.
  3. He has a crooked nose.
5 Likes

He completely missed the point.

Kerry won five minors in a row but they’ve are still very average.