All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

They shouldn’t ask David Fitzgerald to be the assassin anyway.

6 Likes

I wonder did it occur to the designated referee’s medical team that it might have been better to stick a plaster on Johnny’s forehead rather than half a tub of Vaseline.

Whatever about one of them the two together is a disaster. Duignan thought there was one minute extra time instead of two. Spent the second minute saying time was up, 30 seconds over time now, and then realised and explained there’s actually two minutes I thought there was only one marty. Yes said marty its very exciting.

One of the greatest finals of all time with a pulsating finish and that was the final minute of commentary we were treated to.

1 Like

And Jimmy Barry Murphy laughing and joking with the Clare full back line after half time.

3 Likes

Darragh Maloney should have been given the final. He GETS IT.

2 Likes

I was shouting for O’Flynn to put the goal chance over but I totally respect his ability in going for it
The last free wasn’t seen by the ref, I have no doubt that he’d love to have ended in a draw, those are the breaks.
I initially thought that the black card incident wasn’t a real goal chance but seeing it again it looks like the forward will probably get the first touch though it’s a close run thing.
The umpire really shouldn’t have missed the 65, that’s probably the most scandalous decision

Overall I liked the way that Murphy reffed the game, I suspect some of the Cork players slept very little last night.

Horgan was 100% correct for me in the calls he made to take points

8 Likes

I actually thought they were having a bit of an argument.

1 Like

As an aside the Bubbles and Eoin Cadogan cameo before the teams came out was brilliant. Bubbles just has it.

4 Likes

Also a key player of the Old Parish football team that won the Junior Championship in 1949, which was until last September the clubs only county championship, when they won the Junior C hurling.

1 Like

Cork’s downfall again was that they were exposed by players running at them; it seems to be a problem for years now that they concede goals too easily and don’t foul out the field when they should

1 Like

They were, he was sneering at them over something or other.

He was on about it with Wolly. He scored one, missed one and hit the post. Cads hardly made it to the posts. Bubbles said Cads was more nervous about that than the actual match.

It was the nonchalence of Bubbles taking off the jacket. Took the first two shots off the left, the third off the right. They kind of organized it that Cadogans last attempt would make a draw of it. Bubbles just comes up behind him and hooked him. Twas actually cruel on Cadogan, looked like a minor playing against an 8 year old. Bubbles hands and wrists :star_struck:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/hltco/status/1815090930451357746?s=46

One of the best losing goals ever. The fact he actually wins the Clare puck out makes it even better.

Probably mentioned already but an interesting article about referee decision making.
https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0714/1447950-hurling-camogie-referees-decisions-frees-red-yellow-cards/

Ita creating a lot of debate, and lots of freeze frame analysis, but frees likes this are rarely called

He gets the shot off and there is a split second of a jersey pull. Maybe enough to put him off, but its a run of the mill tackle that happens on multiple shooting chances that more often than not dont get called. I doubt anyone in normal time called a free until they saw the zoomed in and slowed down replay of it. Look at every Cork player in the shot, not one called a free or looked for it, including ROF himself. The over emphasis of this single freeze frame image doesnt reflect the true nature of that play. If he gave a free, then no one could argue. But IMO, it would be of the soft type, and it was very hard to spot in real time.

He missed a second yellow on McInerney. It wasnt a penalty or black card, but it was a yellow. The 65 was a bad call, he Murphy should have spotted that. He was ok, not great and felt a lot of his calls werent consistent, but this thing of being “robbed” is bullshit.

6 Likes

He is easily the most frustrating Clare player in my lifetime. When he first emerged we thought that maybe we had found our Michael Fennelly. Turned out to be something radically different. He genuinely could have hit 1-7 yesterday. But there is no making sense of his decisions somedays. He couldn’t be less of a ‘Brian Lohan player’ but shows Lohan’s maturity as a manager that he stuck with him.

2 Likes

It didnt take a fomp out of him. Didnt slow him, didnt turn him. He got his shot off. In truth, hes lucky he got a shirt pull, or he’d be called a bottler for evermore.

2 Likes

Sweeney makes some valid points in between the moaning.

His Gaa Go comment is spot on.

Ye wouldn’t mind but he’s a Sligo man