All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

I posted this well before the match,
Win r draw that’s what’ it’s all about

I forgot that it was on BBC too. Marty and Duignan were absolutely awful in commentary. Marty sounded dull for some of the scores, and then he’d jizz his pants for a run of the mill effort. Duignan was just flat out wrong a load of times too. Said Shanagher was being fouled when Shanagher had Downeys (I think) hurl and threw it down before catchign the ball. And Duginan fixated on Downey holding Shanagher after that, but it was a clear blatant free first by Shanagher. And then when JM gave the free after consultation with the umpires and didnt give the penalty, and Duginan goes “he’s given the free, but what about the black card though?”, seemingly not understanding that you only get a black card when you award a penalty. It should have been a yellow alright, but if he gives a free, it cant be a black card. And his commentary in the injury time of extra time was brutal as highlighted by glas above. Going on about Horgan having to drop it in or that he was wrong to take his 2 points. Awful stuff, all because he cant read the time, the thick biffo.

Martys aul cliched schtick is getting well old too. I dont know if he is trying to emulate Ó Muircheartaigh, but it sounds so forced and so scripted and fake. I just never think of him as being a natural commentator. Ger Canning is annoying too, but he still calls the game well. Moloney has some gorgeous phrases that he sometimes comes out with that sound silly, but again, he calls it well. But Marty sounds like a small time radio DJ saying hello to his friends or calling a player playing for one hurling club and then a football club as some sort of miraculous scenario.

8 Likes

If you throw enough words on a page some of them are bound to make sense

1 Like

The one thing that disappointed me yesterday was the song choice at full time.

I love Christy Moore but there has to be better than Lisdoonvarna.

Clare My Heart My Home was surely the one to play.

Clare to Here would have even been better than Lisdoon

Great to hear Brewing Up A Storm, a proper Clare tune and a banger

Not a Clare tune

2 Likes

Presume the Franks will play the Cork homecoming. Doo do do doo

Yesterday was some vindication for both of us keeping faith that TK is the best to ever do it.

And to think some lads wanted him benched to give the side balance :grimacing:

1 Like

They’d have put some gym monkey automaton in there. The hurling version of Niall Scully.

Lads like that would value a Timmy McCarthy over a Bubbles or a Tony Kelly. They’re the sort of lads who don’t understand poetry or great art.

They see a giant piece of marble and view it as a rock, they don’t see the art within.

Their souls will never soar.

7 Likes

If you’re going to play music in a stadium, go all out

I don’t think consideration of a goal chance goes to that level. If we’re going to introduce that level of judgement, who’s going to get there first, what way will it bounce etc etc you may as well start judging the players too, was it a goal chance for tony Kelly but not a goal chance for AN other.

The ball was in the square, they were on the attack, it was a clear goal chance. Sin ĂŠ.

1 Like

Did you do the LC in 2013 as well? The time seems to have flown by since. It’s almost scary to think what age family members will be in another 11. I’ve always wondered if being older than the players involved takes from the enjoyment a little bit as people age. But this Clare team makes me feel young as TK, SOD, John Conlon, David McInerney, Conor Cleary, David Reidy, Cathal Malone, Seadna Morey, Paul Flanagan and Peter Duggan are older than me. All of those lads are in their 30’s.

A real dearth of players aged 25-29 as @Big_Dan_Campbell mentioned before. An unusual dressing room dynamic with half the team chatting about mortgages, weddings and planning permission, while the younger half talk TikTok, PlayStation and chasing tail. Although anyone who’s ever been in a GAA dressing room will know that bonds formed on the pitch and in the pub bridge any age gaps and you regularly end up with 31 year olds and 22 year olds as best friends and the likes.

6 Likes

Nail on head. Any Corkonian I’ve spoken with since yesterday is more aggrieved about the lack of a return from their inside forwards than refereeing decisions not going their way.

2 Likes

Twas a great catch but no fucking way should a Cork man have been allowed win that clean

Mighty

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1815343163084820640

https://twitter.com/GemmaHassett/status/1815329747007631686

https://twitter.com/mikehanrahan46/status/1815299335237591306

I think it’s a unique win because it’s a sort of group of misfits from a couple of different age groups with Lohan at the top who I’m not certain was involved underage with them.

A lot of the all Ireland winners feel like the end of a process almost where a coach took them from underage to senior and finished the job off.

It’s amazing post 2013 Clare didn’t get back to croke park until 2018 and it’s incredible they never won a Munster inbetween.

Highlights to me how vital is you have the correct management in place.

1 Like
1 Like

Hurling landscape into 2025 will see a level of flux and change not seen for a long time.

I would think a few of the Clare lads will call it a day. They mightn’t be as competitive next year as they’ve been in the last few years. You could argue if Limerick weren’t around they could very well have had another 1 or 2 All Irelands. Yesterday was culmination of all the effort put in in the last few years with little reward. They finally got their day yesterday and it had been coming a while.

Limerick will be back of course but seems to be a bit of uncertainty around Kinnerk and Kiely. They are 2 pillars which Limerick cant do without. They’ve shown with O Brien and English that they have some able replacements into the future. A fit Peter Casey and Darragh O Donovan will be big additions back in there and at this very early juncture look to be the team to beat next year. Having said that there are quite a few wrong side of 30 particularly in the rearguard with Nicky Quaid, Dan Morrissey, Declan Hannon and Byrnes. The fact that it is essentially the spine of the team and the leadership they bring will be hard to replace. Clare won yesterday with 9 or their starting 15 > 30 so it will be an interesting Winter to see how Limerick try to bounce back.

Cork seem primed to win one but old failings return. All 3 goals yesterday were unforgivable. Coleman is a fantastic hurler but is not dominant enough. The loss of Ben O Connor of the Barrs to rugby is an incalculable loss. If he were available you would think he’d be slotting in beside Downey and Joyce in that half back line. Hard to say that a team that beat Limerick twice need to find another 1 or 2 players but that’s the reality. Michael Mullins might step up next year and be another viable option. Jack Leahy is probably long term replacement for Patrick Horgan. He is a free taker too. Ben Cunningham another ball winner in Half forward line who is dynamic and can score in the mould of Harnedy. But I don’t know about Cork - there is still some intangible missing and it is probably leadership or big characters.

Kilkenny seem stuck in the mud. They get to a stage in games and cant kick on. They are always ultra competitive but there are some deficiencies in terms of natural talent and panel depth. Still relying on Reid and calling on Fogarty, Walter Walsh, Buckley tells its own tale. Its hard to decipher what they are doing at underage. But they did only lose to Clare by 2 points after missing oodles of goal chances in the first half of their semi final. They beat Clare twice in previous semi finals. I cant help but wonder how a Cork Kilkenny final would have looked and would Kilkenny finally have being able to end their own “famine”. I think Lyng has done a great job with what he has and if they can add 3 or 4 new faces to freshen things up it might be the catalyst they need.

Of the remainder Galway are in a complete rebuild mode with no manager. Hard to see them doing anything next year.

Waterford going back to McGrath and his philosophy on the game seems a backward step. Having a revitalised Austin Gleeson back is a big plus though and they should be able to be a bit better than this year. They might get a small bounce but ultimately not good enough.

Wexford went out with a whimper after dismissal of Rory O Connor. Chin and O Hanlon are still pivotal players and both of them in the twilight of their playing careers now. They could very well win a Leinster next year with other teams around them not being up to the levels but like Waterford are not good enough to challenge for an AI.

My own county Tipperary are at a low ebb. Successive AI winning U21 and U20 teams have beared little fruit but they were workmanlike sides greater than the sum of their parts. For however bad and deficient the current players are I feel they are done a disservice by the tactical set up of the team and general level of coaching. Playing 1 or 2 men in opposition 45 and funnelling everyone into the middle third was caveman stuff. We dont need hindsight to realise that I don’t think we have the players nor the backroom team to get out of Munster for the next 2 – 3 years. Its not so much how fast the underage lads can filter through but how likes of Morgan, O Mara, Bowe, Connolly, Morris, O Connor and others in that age bracket can lift and improve their standards to create right environment for these young lads.

Overall I’d expect it to be the same 3 from Munster and Leinster next year again with Cork and Limerick to contest the all Ireland.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1815125590208651602

1 Like