All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Sure the work for Coldplay is starting today week. It was never going to be allowed go to a replay.

On RTƉ.ie/Sport there were over one million page views (1.07m) of the live blog, versus 416,000 for the live blog of Limerick v Kilkenny last year.

Cork are hurling

1 Like

Just not as hurling as Clare, unfortunately

1 Like

and not a ticket to be got either. It was like 2016 or 2017 again.

Makes Lohan vs Kiely more interesting

1 Like

I know the bold Joe Player is looking down at the home coming tonight and Iā€™ve no doubt heā€™s laughing at the Limericks and shouting 'hon Lohan ā€™

46 Likes

Me aul Epal smiling tonight

All the gowl acting aside. I hope his family were happy yesterday, which Iā€™ve no doubt they were, but Iā€™m sure it was also tinged with a few tears for Dave. They are the little stories you never think about in amongst the pints and home comings and winning victories on the internet

24 Likes

The legacy of Ger Loughnane is broad and deep and the batton has well and truly been passed around. Another blast of young lads watching yesterday know whats possible and so the cycle begins again.

They should rename Ennis in his honour.

10 Likes

Iā€™m fairly sure his auld lad stood for election for Fine Gael at one point back in the day.

A collars up blueshirt.

I got a nice message from his Mam this morning. I told her he would have absolutely loved it all. Although Iā€™m really not sure what he would have been like there with the nerves. He probably would have hit someone a dunt.

14 Likes

Clare most have had the oldest winning team in a long time. Possible 8 starters over 30? And probably had one of the youngest ever teams in 2013.

9 out of the 15 30 or more.

1 Like

Up there anyway. The Limerick team that won last year might have been marginally older?

Strange looking back at winning teams from the 90s/00s where the talk was always that it was becoming a young manā€™s game, and lads are burned out by 30 and/or canā€™t commit the time. Itā€™s nearly gone the other way.

1 Like

But thatā€™s the level of training and professionalism the players are now tied up in that prolongs their playing career.

Yeah for sure. Radically different attitudes to rest and recovery. Maybe the overall decline in alcohol consumption hasnā€™t hurt either.

1 Like

I think 9 of the Clare starters are either students or teachers.

Who was the last man to start an all Ireland hurling final out field at 35 and win?

PJ Molloy was 35 when he won in 1987, but he came on as a sub.

I canā€™t think of a 35 year but I can think of one older.