All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Go on?

George O’Connor

1 Like

Has to be O’Connor in 96

Noel Lane must have been close to 35 as well?

Joe Dooley would have been a good age in 98 too

I only know him because of the greatest gaa song of all time.

Some shout.

Can’t think of anybody inbetween.

2000, he’d have been 36 or so then

There’s no way Duggan deserves to be in TOTY ahead of Fitz. Player of the league, top scorer of the championship from play as a deep lying midfielder. Popping points from 70 yards on the run. Duggan mixed the very good with the ordinary.
I’d have Hegarty, Donnelly or cathal o Neill ahead of Duggan.

3 Likes

David Fitzgerald did really well to give that hospital pass to TK for the goal.

He was about the shoot and caught sight of Kelly running and instead of shooting gave the ball to a tightly marked Kelly who beat the entire Cork defence.

The greatest sporting occasion of all time.

1 Like

If in doubt give it to the really really good lad is a mantra many a teammate lives by

4 Likes

Do you reckon Sean O’Donoghue retires, or will be retired, after that?

No I don’t think so.

But.

I think the black card rule made that goal. In the old days Kelly and indeed Rogers would have been fouled.

2 Likes

O’Donoghue is a really poor defender. Very surprising choice of captain by Pat Ryan.

Ryan needs to replace SOD, O Leary, Coleman from that defence. Joyce and the two Downeys are solid out and want to defend.

1 Like

SOD let himself down by not doing the maths on knocking up his missus

Cork defence was incredibly disciplined on Sunday, fouled very little, didn’t concede many easy scoreable frees (I think)
That can obviously be twisted any way you want it,
For the Kelly goal they probably felt in control until it was too late

1 Like

Cork drew the game and lost by a point in extra time when none of their inside forwards playing well.

Better coaching can improve players. Lots of lads slagged the two downeys.

If Fitz hadn’t juggled the ball the goal chance probably never materialises. Bought Kelly a couple of strides to get there for the pass.

1 Like

But they have to show some level of cynicism here. They didn’t even have to foul either of them really… Rodgers surely gets hooked or blocked with three around him and SOD could very easily have stood Kelly up.

1 Like

To be fair. Kelly was bottled up. But he was going down his favoured side and his reaction to flick it up and in was phenomenal.

But he absolutely should have been stopped.

Not a good choice for the captaincy although I’d say Ryan was totally unsure of his first 15 in February so had to call it.

Poor defending.

Kevin Keegan stuff. You score 3 and we’ll score 4.

1 Like