All Ireland Senior Final Reminiscences

“cork won the double 100 years ago
eeeechhoo eeeeeeeechooooooo
In 1990 the did it once more…”

No, I’m complaining that he was singled out and denied the opportunity to win a third AI medal in a row.
I wouldn’t complain if he were the only one at it, but there were hundreds during that era, including a Tipperary player who played a really good game in the same game Keady was banned from.

Your defense of the GAA and their “enforcement” of rules is sickening, but unexpected from a yellowbelly.

“first they won the the hurling then they won the football,”

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Had they kept their heads they could have won it without him, 2 men sent off in the final…

The seethe is unnatural about this incident, take Elsa’s advice and let it go.

1 Like

Hopper McGrath with one of the most trampish “challenges” you would ever see for one of the sendings off

This is great. Limerick lads arguing about Justin Mac. @anon61956325 and @mikehunt giving it loads about the refereeing over the weekend and the Galway and Tipp lads still harping on about 89.
Luv ye all to bits lads

2 Likes

We’re just trying to keep the Tipp lads engaged, it would be a shame to lose them.

8 Likes

Beating drogs 7-1

1 Like

Only 53000 at that final a v poor crowd

Back on topic 1980 went with the aunt and mother and cousins vague recollections only as a I was only 6 can’t remember too much from the match. Can remember stopping in the Hazel Hotel on the way home alright. Can remember the Munster final more clearly Cregans scoop into the town end and a green van overtaking us on the way home and then coming across it in a ditch near Newport.

94 a gang of us on the Canal End, Club M the night before spirits were good and got better as the match went on. Can vividly remember Hegarty dropping the puck out from Dooleys goal and then 5 seconds later Quaid was picking it out again. Ended up in O Neil’s in Suffolk Street where one Offaly roaster said “21 years to get there and 5 minutes to lose it”. Back down on the train on Monday for the homecoming. Huge turn out and the boys all kitted in their green blazers. Iron Mike (the original) was plastered up on the stage down at the Potatoe Market.

96 the worst of all on the Canal again apart from a flying start by Barry Foley and Ciaran it was beyond devastating. Ended up in Major Tom’s and ended up not being able to talk I was that bad. Was only an occasional smoker up to that night but haven’t stopped since😭

07 train up from Mullingar with the young fella back in the Canal End. Thought we had a squeak going up. The roar when the team came out was the highlight and in effect we were gone after 10 mins. did we get it back to 5 at one stage in the second half and Shaughs has a 21 yard free saved in front of us. He was well marshalled that day after doing untold in the semi. Ollie and Mark Foley the 2 old staters were our best performers. Easier to take as we were beaten by a better team.

2018 to be determined🤔

9 Likes

Think there was a CIE strike i ?? @Fagan_ODowd @balbec

Do you remember they’d rate the players from 1-15 out of 10 from top of page to bottom with each county side by side and a little accompanying comment/short paragraph for each player? Nobody would get lower than 7 but you’d only get a 10 if it was DJ Carey or someone. You’d scan down to the bottom to get the combined total…KILKENNY 132 CORK 128.

8 Likes

Which Tipperary player was it?

3 Likes

I always remember the Captain’s Table on the Sindo the week before . The two captains would be brought to some hotel for a slap up feed and an interview .

3 Likes

Still happens afaik

1 Like

The 1988 final when Babs dropped the captain , Cappawhite’s Pa O Neill .

They went nuts in Cappawhite .

Life progression there, lovely stuff.

1 Like

Have s look at the Tipperary XV that started against Galway in the semi final and compare it to the Tipperary XV that started against Antrim in the final.

1 Like

That could explain it alright

I actually remember more from 94 than 96. I was 8 in 94, at the final whistle I turned to my father and said “what happened dad”. 2007 the roar when limerick came onto the field was massive, never heard anything like it since. At half time my father said that we had been 10 down against Tipp we could come back. At the end Mark Foley just stayed standing in his spot for the longest time, on his own there watching til well after the presentation was done, knew he wouldn’t be back there.

3 Likes