All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

[QUOTE=“thedancingbaby, post: 987596, member: 48”]Agree with most of that mate but don’t think they are quite at 2012 levels yet.

MacNiallais has been outstanding. He’d be one of my All Star midfielders as things stand[/QUOTE]

He really dominated Darren Hughes and I rate Hughes very highly. As my great pal @Bisto said, it took Monaghan bringing Kieran Hughes out to midfield before they had gain any kind of parity there. But that was only for a brief spell before Donegal assumed control again.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 987511, member: 2272”]No needle. Flailings of a beaten frustrated team. Dublin showed restraint as they are well drilled and if you get suspended you may well lose your place for rest of season.

Armagh seem to engage in tactical premeditated melees.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there was needle in the Ulster final. Saying Armagh were premeditated is ridiculous, especially in regard to the Cavan game where Cavan started it as the videos prove.

Yes, that has not had anything of the outcry what happened in the parade at the Athletics Ground when it is more severe.

Yes, you need to put things into context. Dyas has been consistently excellent in a number of games this year against good opposition in tight games yet Kevin continues to be very disparaging to him this while trumpeting players from Tipperary who he has not even seen in action properly this year. Brogan has been good but he hasn’t had much of a challenge yet.

On yesterday’s Ulster final, I don’t think Monaghan were beaten in their match ups. They just persisted with things that were failing for them. They kept launching the ball in a full foward line where they were outnumbered four to one and it wasn’t working. They had the players to change their game plan, they needed to be more patient and hit scores from distance and they had players well capable of that in Hughes, Finlay, McManus and Hughes. I also couldn’t understand why McManus was left in there for the vast majority of the game when it was impossible to get him on the ball, he need to come out into the half forward line where he could exert some influence.

Defensively Monaghan won most of their match ups, Walshe kept McLoone out of it who has been one of Donegal’s best players to date this season. Wiley had McFadden in his back pocket and Corey kept Murphy very quiet.

McBrearty and MacNiallais were excellent alright. Wasn’t impressed with MacNiallais in the League final but he’s really upped it since then. Hopefully Monaghan get past Kildare which I expect them to do as I think they are capable of giving the Dubs a right good game in the quarter.

Armagh went in behind the wrong flag. Mcgeeney is big into psychological warfare as whatever gives an edge. Armagh have for years - was at a seminar once where a PR guy who gad worked with Armagh All Ireland winning team spoke about deliberately cutting jerseys tighter and choreographing pitch entrance. All interesting stuff designed to give any edge. McGeeney buys into that. Wonder if Tipp will have any tricks Sunday ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNAMHVJa-4k

Ok - we get it. You were at the match with your girlfriend.

Ya, as they turn out. But starting off Sunday they must have been ready for Meath, and had Meath taken their chances at 3-1,4-1,5-1 I think it would have been somewhat different. The doubt crept into the young players and they fell away. However in this time Brogan was the most significant attacker and McCauly was the main link and McCarthy the best defender and a link. When the game is a contest these 3 have been generally excellent this year.

I agree tougher games lie ahead and a role as I have suggested is tailor made for Karl Lacey. That will be the big test assuming both teams progress.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 987649, member: 2533”]Yes, you need to put things into context. Dyas has been consistently excellent in a number of games this year against good opposition in tight games yet Kevin continues to be very disparaging to him this while trumpeting players from Tipperary who he has not even seen in action properly this year. Brogan has been good but he hasn’t had much of a challenge yet.

On yesterday’s Ulster final, I don’t think Monaghan were beaten in their match ups. They just persisted with things that were failing for them. They kept launching the ball in a full foward line where they were outnumbered four to one and it wasn’t working. They had the players to change their game plan, they needed to be more patient and hit scores from distance and they had players well capable of that in Hughes, Finlay, McManus and Hughes. I also couldn’t understand why McManus was left in there for the vast majority of the game when it was impossible to get him on the ball, he need to come out into the half forward line where he could exert some influence.

Defensively Monaghan won most of their match ups, Walshe kept McLoone out of it who has been one of Donegal’s best players to date this season. Wiley had McFadden in his back pocket and Corey kept Murphy very quiet.

McBrearty and MacNiallais were excellent alright. Wasn’t impressed with MacNiallais in the League final but he’s really upped it since then. Hopefully Monaghan get past Kildare which I expect them to do as I think they are capable of giving the Dubs a right good game in the quarter.[/QUOTE]
Jesus.
Monaghan got all their defensive match ups right and win them? They lost the game you numpty.

Who has Dyad marked who is a greater significance? More than Brogan?

^^^
Bizarre.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 987701, member: 273”]Jesus.
Monaghan got all their defensive match ups right and win them? They lost the game you numpty.

Who has Dyad marked who is a greater significance? More than Brogan? [/QUOTE]

Christ, you are thick. I never said won all their defensive match ups. I said they won the majority of them. O’Connor was taken off after 20 minutes, McFadden, McLoone and Murphy were all really quiet. The only forwards who had any sort of joy for them were McHugh who was operating very deep and McBrearty. Monaghan lost that game by continuing with a failed tactic of launching a ball into an area where there were 4 men around 1. They only looked like scoring out of Donegal mistakes and frees.

yet Jimmy McGuinness has since come out and said that leaving McBrearty as a sub was to mess with Monaghans defensive match ups and to counteract them when they would think they have their match ups worked out.

Would McGuinness really be happy with his two main scoring forwards being almost nonexistent in the game?

he looked fairly happy after the game anyway.

Obviously with the win he would but as much as Donegal were the better team, Monaghans complete lack of a plan B was as much a factor.

Interesting that Meath are dropping their complaint about one of their players been bitten during Sundays match against Dublin.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/meath-gaa-drop-biting-allegations-gaa-probe-1585389-Jul2014/

Sky Sports coverage of the Cork-Sligo (5pm) and Galway-Tipperary (7pm) double header has commenced.

Any reason why I shouldn’t back Sligo with an 8 points head start here?

Donnacha O’Connor seems like a simpleton.

Can’t see Donnacha O’Connor being a pundit when he retires

Their scoring rate is the opposite of your golf game.