All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

In terms of total mastery of the ball with both feet, shooting. the ability to dummy players, as well as the ability to win his own ball and fend off challenges, he was the most skilful.

He was the Maradona of Gaelic football.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 954611, member: 2660”]In terms of total mastery of the ball with both feet, shooting. the ability to dummy players, as well as the ability to win his own ball and fend off challenges, he was the most skilful.

He was the Maradona of Gaelic football.[/QUOTE]

Canavan was one of the greats, no doubt. Great footballing brain. Always seemed to do the right thing.

I’d say Maurice Fitzgerald was more skilful though (please do not interpret this as saying Canavan was rubbish). Dragged an average enough Kerry team to the '97 All Ireland.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 954611, member: 2660”]In terms of total mastery of the ball with both feet, shooting. the ability to dummy players, as well as the ability to win his own ball and fend off challenges, he was the most skilful.

He was the Maradona of Gaelic football.[/QUOTE]

And he took some amount of abuse over the years, he was double marked, targetted off the ball and had players hanging out of him but it never deterred him from showing for the ball, winning it and creating or taking scores. I don’t think there would have been a county who were as reliant on a player as Tyrone were on Peter Canavan during the 90s.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 954620, member: 1552”]Canavan was one of the greats, no doubt. Great footballing brain. Always seemed to do the right thing.

I’d say Maurice Fitzgerald was more skilful though (please do not interpret this as saying Canavan was rubbish). Dragged an average enough Kerry team to the '97 All Ireland.[/QUOTE]
Different styles I guess. Fitzgerald’s dead ball striking was probably better, but Canavan was more mercurial. I’ll always go for a good little one over a good big one (don’t bother inserting lame joke here).

You could make an analogy with association football - it’s like comparing Maradona’s style to the more languid Zidane. Maradona was still better though.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 954620, member: 1552”]Canavan was one of the greats, no doubt. Great footballing brain. Always seemed to do the right thing.

I’d say Maurice Fitzgerald was more skilful though (please do not interpret this as saying Canavan was rubbish). Dragged an average enough Kerry team to the '97 All Ireland.[/QUOTE]
Greatest forward there was. Doesn’t quite get the recognition because he stays away from the media and also was on, by Kerry standards, an poor-average side for a long time.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 954624, member: 2660”]Different styles I guess. Fitzgerald’s dead ball striking was probably better, but Canavan was more mercurial. I’ll always go for a good little one over a good big one (don’t bother inserting lame joke here).

You could make an analogy with association football - it’s like comparing Maradona’s style to the more languid Zidane. Maradona was still better though.[/QUOTE]
But little if M. Fitz’s skills had to do with size, in fact the skills he had were all the more commendable because of his long limbs. There were an advantage though in fielding and kicking distance. But his trickery, skills and intelligence were the best I’ve seen. As for 2 footed, he took frees with his weak leg FFS.
Canavan was a great player, but in terms if all time greats I think he gets a little over rated. Due partly to the emergence of a then new power and the need for media and everyone else to look for stars.
I’d rate Gooch higher an Maurice Fitz higher again. Both slightly more consistant.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 955164, member: 273”]But little if M. Fitz’s skills had to do with size, in fact the skills he had were all the more commendable because of his long limbs. There were an advantage though in fielding and kicking distance. But his trickery, skills and intelligence were the best I’ve seen. As for 2 footed, he took frees with his weak leg FFS.
Canavan was a great player, but in terms if all time greats I think he gets a little over rated. Due partly to the emergence of a then new power and the need for media and everyone else to look for stars.
I’d rate Gooch higher an Maurice Fitz higher again. Both slightly more consistant.[/QUOTE]

Canavan never went missing in big games like Cooper has.

Calling Gooch more consistent than Canavan shows what a retard you are. Cooper has been a great player but a lot of his games were against fodder in the Munster Championship, he also played in great teams throughout his career, Canavan never got that luxury and only really got to play in a great team in the twilight of his career and carried Tyrone on his shoulders throughout the 90s. The last thing you could call for Gooch over Canavan is consistency.

You mean he wasn’t as tightly marked as Cooper was on occasion.
He was not as good, and I’d say if you had a poll amongst county players it wouldn’t even come close. Gooch would get 70-80% of a vote.

Lord Jesus. You can hve the last word fella, nobody takes you seriously with your little chip on your little shoulder.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 955188, member: 273”]You mean he wasn’t as tightly marked as Cooper was on occasion.
He was not as good, and I’d say if you had a poll amongst county players it wouldn’t even come close. Gooch would get 70-80% of a vote.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Wasn’t as tightly marked? Once again showing what an utter balloon you are. I doubt you could find a player who played in the last 20 years who was targetted as much as Canavan, he was a one man team with Tyrone for the majority of his inter county footballer and was the target of some real roughhouse treatment. If you are trying to state a case for Gooch against Canavan you are going down the wrong avenue.

As for the last part, I think it tells you about seriously your opinion should be taken - are you now speaking for 70-80% of county players?

“Fella”, there it is :smiley:

That’s a belter of a contradiction in fairness. :smiley:

Cavan (SF v Armagh): C Gilsenan; Jason McLoughlin, Rory Dunne, Feargal Flanagan; James McEnroe, Alan Clarke, David Givney; Gearoid McKiernan; Cian Mackey, Niall McDermott, Martin Reilly; Eugene Keating, Martin Dunne, Jack Brady.

Mayo (SFC v Roscommon): Robbie Hennelly; Tom Cunniffe, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins; Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle, Donal Vaughan; Aidan O’Shea, Seamus O’Shea; Diarmuid O’Connor, Conor O’Shea, Jason Doherty; Kevin McLoughlin, Alan Freeman, Cillian O’Connor.

Roscommon: D O’Malley; S McDermott, N Carty, Collins; I Kilbride, N Daly, C Cafferkey; C Shine, K Higgins; D O’Gara, D Shine, R Stack; S Kilbride, C Cregg, C Murtagh.

Nothing much there that should worry Armagh, Cavan will be without Killian Clarke this summer who is their best defender and did a good job on Jamie Clarke last year. I would expect Armagh to come through that one.

Do Roscommon have much of a chance against Mayo? Mayo looked quite flat in the league and there doesn’t seem to be many new players there apart from Conor’ O’Shea and Diarmuid O’Connor who I know nothing about. Roscommon did well in Div 3 and beat a wasteful Cavan in the final.

@thedancingbaby, worth putting a few quid on an Armagh/Roscommon double?

I’ll be shocked if Armagh beat Cavan.

I just see nothing in Armagh worth getting excited about. I guess we’ll see Sunday and while I appreciate your dislike for Cavan and their style of football and a similar blind spot for Armagh, only one county is going in the right direction and present and it sure as shit ain’t Armagh.

I have no such blindspot for Laois and unless we fly a small aircraft into a Dublin training session between now and Sunday we’ll be the wrong side of a 10 to 20 point defeat. We just don’t have the backs to handle Dublin and there’s no good way to dress it up any differently. I commend those in there giving the baffling commitment Intercounty GAA takes in this day and age and I’ll support them no less for it, but I truly can’t see anything other than a miracle having this game competitive with 10 minutes to go.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 955229, member: 2533”]Cavan (SF v Armagh): C Gilsenan; Jason McLoughlin, Rory Dunne, Feargal Flanagan; James McEnroe, Alan Clarke, David Givney; Gearoid McKiernan; Cian Mackey, Niall McDermott, Martin Reilly; Eugene Keating, Martin Dunne, Jack Brady.

Mayo (SFC v Roscommon): Robbie Hennelly; Tom Cunniffe, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins; Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle, Donal Vaughan; Aidan O’Shea, Seamus O’Shea; Diarmuid O’Connor, Conor O’Shea, Jason Doherty; Kevin McLoughlin, Alan Freeman, Cillian O’Connor.

Roscommon: D O’Malley; S McDermott, N Carty, Collins; I Kilbride, N Daly, C Cafferkey; C Shine, K Higgins; D O’Gara, D Shine, R Stack; S Kilbride, C Cregg, C Murtagh.

Nothing much there that should worry Armagh, Cavan will be without Killian Clarke this summer who is their best defender and did a good job on Jamie Clarke last year. I would expect Armagh to come through that one.

Do Roscommon have much of a chance against Mayo? Mayo looked quite flat in the league and there doesn’t seem to be many new players there apart from Conor’ O’Shea and Diarmuid O’Connor who I know nothing about. Roscommon did well in Div 3 and beat a wasteful Cavan in the final.

@thedancingbaby, worth putting a few quid on an Armagh/Roscommon double?[/QUOTE]
Clarke is a big loss to Cavan alright and I believe management did their utmost to try and keep him in the country but to no avail.

This will be a cracking match (no doubt you’ll have some cunts criticising Cavan’s style of play though). I only wish it was on tv instead of the Dublin vs Laois cakewalk.

Despite Clarke’s absence and the game being in the Athletic Grounds, I’ll stick with Cavan to scrape home after a titanic battle. Not one to be putting the mortgage on though.

Down west, I thought at the start of the championship that Roscommon were at the stage where they really needed to be giving provincial honours a right rattle. Therefore, you would have to be very concerned about their second half fade out against Leitrim. They totally lost control around the middle of the park and it was only Leitrim’s inability to create a goal chance that stopped it from becoming a very nervous ending for the Rossies. If the 2 O’Sheas lord midfield, you can see Mayo’s forwards making it a long afternoon for the home side.

Hard to know what Mayo will be like - is the appetite there to go again after 2 final defeats ? I’d expect them to have enough to win by 5 or 6 points mind you.

Dublin should beat Laois

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 955242, member: 180”]I’ll be shocked if Armagh beat Cavan.

I just see nothing in Armagh worth getting excited about. I guess we’ll see Sunday and while I appreciate your dislike for Cavan and their style of football and a similar blind spot for Armagh, only one county is going in the right direction and present and it sure as shit ain’t Armagh.

I have no such blindspot for Laois and unless we fly a small aircraft into a Dublin training session between now and Sunday we’ll be the wrong side of a 10 to 20 point defeat. We just don’t have the backs to handle Dublin and there’s no good way to dress it up any differently. I commend those in there giving the baffling commitment Intercounty GAA takes in this day and age and I’ll support them no less for it, but I truly can’t see anything other than a miracle having this game competitive with 10 minutes to go.[/QUOTE]

A lot will depend on the team Armagh name. There are concerns over the likes of Donaghy, Caolan Rafferty, Morgan, Harold and Kernan. Armagh impressed me during the league considering they were without the majority of their starting defence for the league campaign. Stefan Campbell looks like he could relieve a lot of the dependence on Clarke and some of the younger guys like Ethan Rafferty and Findon showed up really well. Caolan Rafferty and Stephen Harold were also in excellent form. There was only four points in the corresponding fixture last year and that was in spite of Armagh committing tactical suicide. I think they will be much more organised defensively without reverting to the dour system Cavan have and I don’t see much to worry the Armagh defence in the Cavan attack. Armagh were also away last year.

I’d imagine a full strength Armagh team would be as follows:

McEvoy

Mallon
Donaghy
Morgan

A. Kernan
McKeever
Shields

E. Rafferty
Harold

T. Kernan
Dyas
C. Rafferty

Clarke
Campbell
Forker

There aren’t too many options to improve the attack but there are good options now in defence and midfield. McEvoy must be one of the worst keepers in the country and you’d surely expect that there has to be a better goalkeeper in Armagh.

Plenty of confidence in Cavan with them only naming a 14-man team with Givney left half back and little Cian Mackey in midfield.

Following all the talk about Gavin Duffy being thrown into the Dragon’s Den of championship football, Mayo spring a major surprise by selecting Conor O’Shea to lead their attack instead.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 955259, member: 9”]
Following all the talk about Gavin Duffy being thrown into the Dragon’s Den of championship football, Mayo spring a major surprise by selecting Conor O’Shea to lead their attack instead.[/QUOTE]

comedy gold pal…take a bow …:rolleyes:

I have a general question re a scenario that cropped up in our senior football match last night. The opposing team were awarded a penalty after an opposition player had our goalkeeper penned on the ground. Our goalkeeper was blown for overcarrying and the team were awarded a penalty. 2 questions. What degree of contact can you make with a goalkeeper in small square because I see different interpretations the whole time. And more importantly for a technical foul, like a goalkeeper overcarrying, should it not have resulted in a 13 metre free as opposed to a penalty?