All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

Well done II Bomber, although I hope it was Lurgan Celtic or Armagh City and not Tandragee Rovers !!!

Gaelic Football is not easy to pick up. I coached a couple of AFL Premership winners and a heap of lads who had been in the system and the next level down at semi-pro, guys with great athletic ability and they struggled badly with Gaelic football with a couple of note able exceptions. Mostly aboriginal. We played it for a bit of crac and they seriously struggled. That’s top level guys from the most transferable sport there is.
I also coached an Gaelic U18 side here of mostly Aussies, they had far more practice, about 8 weeks 2-3 times a week and 6-7 games. On our final game in the championship semi final, one good Aussie lad who has gone on to the AFL soloed it a few times in the game. The only reason he was getting away with it was his athleticism though, he was able to get away, slow down, and do an awkward solo.

In my experience soccer players also struggle, but more so with the pick up. The action itself is fairly unique to Gaelic football, but they also tend to be scared shitless.
To not be able to deferensiate because you may have played the game at a young development age shows incredible ignorence.

To get good at anything is not easy, except for the freakish few and mostly people who pick up anything or get competant at it are doing it since childhood.
Of all the sports I have played soccer is by far the easiest to fall into. Of course to excel you need to practice it, but that’s the same with anything.
Some super stupidity in this thread.

Not a bad Dublin team named for the game against Laois.

DUBLIN (SFC v Laois)
1 Stephen Cluxton (Parnell’s)
2 Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)
3 Rory O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes)
4 Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)
5 James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)
6 Nicky Devereux (Ballinteer St John’s)
7 Darren Daly (Fingal Ravens)
8 Michael Darragh Macauley (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
9 Cian O’Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)
10 Paul Flynn (Fingallians)
11 Paddy Andrews (St Brigid’s)
12 Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincent’s)
13 Alan Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)
14 Eoghan O’Gara (Templeogue Synge St)
15 Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)

[QUOTE=“tazdedub, post: 956599, member: 312”]Not a bad Dublin team named for the game against Laois.

DUBLIN (SFC v Laois)
15 Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)[/QUOTE]
James Finn will make absolute shite out of that Dublin half back line, they havent a notion whats coming for them.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 956560, member: 273”]Gaelic Football is not easy to pick up. I coached a couple of AFL Premership winners and a heap of lads who had been in the system and the next level down at semi-pro, guys with great athletic ability and they struggled badly with Gaelic football with a couple of note able exceptions. Mostly aboriginal. We played it for a bit of crac and they seriously struggled. That’s top level guys from the most transferable sport there is.
I also coached an Gaelic U18 side here of mostly Aussies, they had far more practice, about 8 weeks 2-3 times a week and 6-7 games. On our final game in the championship semi final, one good Aussie lad who has gone on to the AFL soloed it a few times in the game. The only reason he was getting away with it was his athleticism though, he was able to get away, slow down, and do an awkward solo.

In my experience soccer players also struggle, but more so with the pick up. The action itself is fairly unique to Gaelic football, but they also tend to be scared shitless.
To not be able to deferensiate because you may have played the game at a young development age shows incredible ignorence.

To get good at anything is not easy, except for the freakish few and mostly people who pick up anything or get competant at it are doing it since childhood.
Of all the sports I have played soccer is by far the easiest to fall into. Of course to excel you need to practice it, but that’s the same with anything.
Some super stupidity in this thread.[/QUOTE]

im surprised AFL winners would be now playing junior gga ,what are their names mate to I can investigate the veracity of that statement?
who is the current AFL player that you coached? Ill look into that too

dublin players are now calling kick outs “possession restarts”

[QUOTE=“tazdedub, post: 956599, member: 312”]Not a bad Dublin team named for the game against Laois.

DUBLIN (SFC v Laois)
15 Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)[/QUOTE]
The list of forwards who can’t make the team is incredible.

[QUOTE=“North County Corncrake, post: 956604, member: 80”]im surprised AFL winners would be now playing junior gga ,what are their names mate to I can investigate the veracity of that statement?
who is the current AFL player that you coached? Ill look into that too[/QUOTE]
You know my name, go after it. If it’s that important I’m sure you’ll be able to whittle it down.
I’ll give you a clue, the 2 Premiership players are still playing, although not in AFL.
It’s estimated 15/16 present AFL players have played in the State GAA finals, mostly as youngsters. Luke Hodge being the best known.

Where is that list?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 956635, member: 273”]You know my name, go after it. If it’s that important I’m sure you’ll be able to whittle it down.
I’ll give you a clue, the 2 Premiership players are still playing, although not in AFL.
It’s estimated 15/16 present AFL players have played in the State GAA finals, mostly as youngsters. Luke Hodge being the best known.[/QUOTE]

just give me the names of the AFL winner and Ill fire off an email to confirm. im not going to try and work out your cryptic clues

In my head.

christ @caoimhaoin

I think you are probably over stating it, that’s why.

So it doesn’t matter enough. Cool.

You have my name, the state I live in. It can only be one of mine clubs. Not that hard.

Rock, McMamnamananmananan, Mannion, Costello. Not to mention Carthy, Scully or Kilkenny.

There’s also the small matter of the U21 captain, All Ireland winner, and Young Footballer of the Year who cant get his place on the team.

We’ll fucking smash em.

Yeah but please bear in mind that you have to be from Dublin or transferred to Dublin to be eligible. That rules out quite a lot of them you’ll find.

Or Fingal.

That’s why? But I didn’t ask why. What a curious response.

Anyway as MBB has pointed out already: Mannion, Costello, Rock, McManamon, Cullen are all fine players. Cullen may be a little past it but it’s hard to say because he can’t get much of a look in. If Kilkenny was fit then you’d have another starter on the bench too. You would need to be a little stubborn in your views to deny that’s a fine group of forwards to have on a bench.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 956722, member: 1”]That’s why? But I didn’t ask why. What a curious response.

Anyway as MBB has pointed out already: Mannion, Costello, Rock, McManamon, Cullen are all fine players. Cullen may be a little past it but it’s hard to say because he can’t get much of a look in. If Kilkenny was fit then you’d have another starter on the bench too. You would need to be a little stubborn in your views to deny that’s a fine group of forwards to have on a bench.[/QUOTE]
No it’s good, very good in relation to others, but not incredible.
Rock is decent but it’s very conceivable he wouldn’t make a few of the other counties teams.
Mannion and McManamon are high level players and would get on any team you would think. That’s the key for me, who would you take from the group to say a Cork or Kerry or Mayo.

Cullen is a lively footballer but I think he is past his best and not able for the pace of the game now in the middle 8.

Costello is completely unproven at this level. Killkenny is not available so irrelevant.

No matter what’s on the bench you take Alan Brogan and Flynn away and that Dublin forward line drops back to the pack very quickly. Back to 2010/2012 when they were just lacking a tiny bit of class/creation/hunger.

My main point is, only 2 of those forwards I the bench would worry me greatly as an opposing manager. You’ll rarely use more than 2 anyway.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 956776, member: 273”]No it’s good, very good in relation to others, but not incredible.
Rock is decent but it’s very conceivable he wouldn’t make a few of the other counties teams.
Mannion and McManamon are high level players and would get on any team you would think. That’s the key for me, who would you take from the group to say a Cork or Kerry or Mayo.

Cullen is a lively footballer but I think he is past his best and not able for the pace of the game now in the middle 8.

Costello is completely unproven at this level. Killkenny is not available so irrelevant.

No matter what’s on the bench you take Alan Brogan and Flynn away and that Dublin forward line drops back to the pack very quickly. Back to 2010/2012 when they were just lacking a tiny bit of class/creation/hunger.

My main point is, only 2 of those forwards I the bench would worry me greatly as an opposing manager. You’ll rarely use more than 2 anyway.[/QUOTE]
Some strange points there. It’s not a strong bench because there are only 2 who would worry you but they’ll only use 2 anyway so… at that point I lose the logic a little.

Last year’s team with another year’s experience for Mannion, Costello closer to breaking into the team properly and Brogan back is an abundance of riches. I’m a little surprised that anyone considers that a controversial enough opinion to debate it.

But to take your point anyway, if you take Flynn and Alan Brogan out of it. Well firstly take Alan Brogan out and you’re left with last year’s team which was hugely talented and effective and won the AI obviously. Flynn is superb so it’s hardly surprising he’d be a loss but you would still have Connolly and Bernard Brogan (who are as good as anyone else in the country), plus all the others already named.