All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Or it could be like the other Davy Byrne and he could get the head battered off him by some Armagh hardman.

Wasn’t Kevin O’Brien a full back when he captained the Under 21s too? He might be another option, albeit again not as big as O’Carroll.

A lot of Dublin supporters think they’ll be on a road to nowhere if Byrne is picked.

That lad was said to have had the demeanour of a Psycho Killer that night.

1 Like

The Armagh player was a member of Talking Heads tribute band Taking Heads.

3 Likes

Stop making sense there @Sidney

Didnt he get in trouble for something there a few years ago? Was it biting or something else?

It was biting but I think he got off. But then he did his cruciate and missed a year. While he played corner back in the season he was in the team he was often a proxy full back - marking the likes of Hurley and physical lads like that.

Bryan Cullen new director of high performance with Dublin GAA. Martin Kennedy leaving Dublin to join IRFU.

I presume this Kennedy fella was already in this role? Do all counties have such a position?

No he was with senior team doing s and c. Most counties seem to be moving towards a similar role that Cullen now has. But I expect budget Cullen will have will be huge.

Dublin seem to be different level from 5 year olds up to seniors in terms of resources. My young lad in junior infants starts this week in school with player development officer once a week and that is across all classes and I assume all schools are similar.

Senior team nutritional needs are completely taken care of to extent they can have all meals delivered if they want that. That is a different level to any other county even Kerry or Tyrone who come closest in terms of spend on county team.

As I thought, had never heard of such a role in the GAA structures. Between him and Mossy, Dublin now are really driving forward at an alarming rate. They are structured, organised, and well funded. There really should be no stopping them.

2 Likes

Yes applying science and structure to the advantage of economics and playing numbers that Dublin has.

On other hand driving the game even at a young age to be very elitist.

Tyrone have a far smaller backroom team than any of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Donegal.

informative

What are numbers actually if you have them?

Think it’s down to about 14 now if I recall correctly.

I meant for all the counties you quoted, I’d be curious to know how big each of their backroom teams are if you have them to hand for 2016

I think I read something in the mid 20s for Mayo I’ll check that out.

Perfect, if you have them all fire them up, I’d be interested in seeing how bloated backroom teams are becoming. I’ve heard Laois’ have been stripped back this year (penniless) and the players aren’t impressed already.

Mayo had a backroom team of 24 last year according to an article by Damien Lawlor. This year they will have high profile names from Armagh and Kerry involved as well as an employee of an EPL side involved. The backroom costs must be seismic for their senior team in the year.

There’s a backroom team of 14 involved with Tyrone which is seen as too much by many in the county.

Then you have Donegal having a week long training camp before a big game. Kerry having foreign training camps etc.

I would say Tyrone operate on one of the more efficient budgets for their senior team at the top of the scale.

Very informative

But I would be interested in hearing hard numbers on the others you are presuming for, just out of curiousity.