All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

To go in 10 points down at half time and play the second half at an exhibition pace.

2 Likes

Galvin had a long career, played until he was 35, and I don’t remember him having any major injuries before last year, so clearly he must have known a thing or two about keeping himself in shape.

I saw this list of injured Kerry players from last December, just after O’Neill finished up with Kerry - it’s a long one:

Cooper’s latest setback brings to nine the number of Kerry players who required surgery either during the season or after the All-Ireland final. Kieran O’Leary ( Cruciate), Paul and Mikey Geaney ( back), Shane Enright ( Back), Anthony Maher ( hip) and Johnny Buckley ( knee)were all affected, while shoulder injuries forced Peter Crowley, James O’Donoghue and now Cooper into undergoing surgery.

Read more: http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/thread/6295/injuries-2016#ixzz4FMx1IrGr

Galvin’s take is apparently that “O’Neill was only interested in short term gains as he was not hanging around”.

2 Likes

Galvin was injuried alot and has previously admitted to not really knowing what he was doing in the gym for years.
Plus CON was only responsible for field conditioning.
And if you can’t see the connections and the message here then i’m not going explaining. But he is making excuses ever since he left and wanted special attention plus he is doing someone elses dirty work here.

Its not like i have never seen an over zealous old school coach or ego manic coach un-do the work of good physical preperation.

Good things: attribute to O’Neill.
Bad things: nothing to do with O’Neill.

2 Likes

Ahhhhh. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Kerry won in 14 with a plan designed by EM and implemented by CON. Ultimately they had the players to do it.

But when there is a pattern of success look for the common denominator.

Lock this thread. Case closed.

Kerry have been winning All Ireland titles on average every 2 or 3 years since the competition began. I don’t think this spoofer was particularly central to a team of multiple All Ireland winners winning another one.

Is Eamon Fitzmaurice a spoofer? McGuinness?

They won an AI with their weakest squad in years. It was a notable achievement. Helped largely by Donegal beating Dublin.

Was just thinking there after a morning conversation with a Kerryman. The coolness and clutch play of some of Tipps young players this year is notable. Sweeney and Quinlivan have pulled the trigger late in games for both club and county under pressure and show neat skills in the process. I was very impressed with Derry but Tipps decision making actually got better as the game went on. I think that was the fifference in the end. Although another ref could have stopped injury time a min earlier or later and we’d have a draw. Credit must go to their coaching and conditioning too for that, the brain was working late.

That belief to keep doing the right things is one thing, but i think the thing Tipp have harnessed from winning that All Ireland Minor and the Munster 21’s is a winning mentality across all Tipp footballers. The way they have shrugged off the incredible losses is remarkable when you think about it.

Many teams win Minors and 21’s and we are left wondering what happens down the road when it doesn’t work out. Often i think it is they go into negative over zealous senior squads, but its hard to know. This is very apparent with some Ulster teams, Armagh being the most obvious answer in recent times.

But what Tipp have lost (relative to their own squad) is like Dublin losing Ciaran Killkenny, Cian O’Sullivan and Bernard Brogan. I think thats being a bit understated. You can see how good Kennedy is already at Senior IC hurling.

One would have to say Tipp are the team of the year so far despite the obvious case for Clare who have been much more settled over 2-3 years.

2 Likes

He might very well be, depending on who you talk to down below.

Thats my point. Now i am not saying he is and Kerry people criticize very easily over one loss, but there are a number of things that indicate to me that CON is a big loss to them.

Anyway enough said on the subject. Alot of people cannot get their gead around S&C and how it can benefit a team or how good practioners can help the actual skills and game play as well as the physical preperation. So i should expect everyone to get it.

Its not really one loss or anything, its the question of whether 2014 was a flash in the pan, and is the style worth the cost. He’s come up short in recent times against Dublin and has shown little innovation. The Donagh midfield thing in particular irks many, as does some other decisions such as his use of the bench, and the return of Galvin.

FWIW, O’Neill might be a loss, but it doesn’t mean he’ll be a success as a manager. Anyway, comparing Kildare and Kerry is like comparing apples and oranges, they’re two completely different beasts, as was shown in last years meeting.

He does have a horrible shit eating smile though, that can’t be argued, and is quite fond of himself, or used to be anyway.

ah jesus this is brilliant

1 Like

Oh ya, all of those things may be true. He is not perfect and for instance i have been publically critical of the GAA 15 Warm up thing they did, which he was central to. But just because i don’t agree with one thing does not make him a bluffer. I’m sure he could find holes in stuff i do.

And you are right, Managing is alot different, however i am simply working off the signs of what i saw this year to last. Its the likes of McGeeney and that other fella are bluffers i would suggest. I think the huge advantage that everyone doesn’t want to recognise is the people he worked with. If he has any kind of growth mindset at all he will be lapping up that experience.

I sincerely doubt O’Neill will achieve any better than McGeeney did during his spell with Kildare.

2 Likes

What did McGeeney achieve?
And what are the parameters one would expect Kildare to reach?

Measurable

• Reach a 1/4 final and a semi in next 3 years.
  • get back to div.1
  • close scoring gap on dublin to single figures

More subjective

• stay in games longer
  • play a style suitable to the players they have
  • make them likable

Is the Tipperary manager a beast of a man? Or is this photo just an optical illusion?

3 Likes

What exactly has making them likeable got to do with it?

McGeeney had a very good record in the back door with Kildare. They were very competitive with the top teams at the time. O’Neill will be doing well to match that particular spoofer.

He wouldn’t be small, a well built man in his day, bit of a spread going on, but not much.

Being likable does matter. Not hugely important but it helps, with supporters, referees etc