All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Bar a Dublin implosion, where do you see them being challenged? That’s a genuine question.

The same way they’ve been challenged before, there are not many teams who can beat them or put it up to them but there are a handful of teams there.

Not much different to the hurling then really

Except no single team is going for their 12th All Ireland in 17 years right now.

1 Like

kerry could very well do them. theyd kill mayo though

Mayo will come a lot closer to beating Dublin than Kerry will.

1 Like

Agree with that.

i dont know about that pal. look this is the game since the start of the year that we all new would come. kerry have been planning for this all year, how to beat dublin. they have their flaws in the fb line but so do the dubs at the back. mayo on this years form have no chance against the dubs

Mayo are in an All Ireland final, they have found the performances that they have needed along the way. Like the Tyrone game, I think they can dig out a performance when they need it but I would still expect they won’t have enough - though I do think they will push Dublin a lot closer than Kerry will.

Mayo were really poor today bar 10 minutes at the end of the first half. I’m trying to think of a team who put in such a poor performance in a semi-final and went on to win the final and I can really only think of Donegal in 1992. If they’d been up against any sort of decent opposition they’d have been put away.

One could make the argument that only the result mattered today and they know what they have to do to improve but I don’t think they’re capable of doing it - they look to have regressed considerably even from last year. They still rely hugely on Andy Moran to link things up in attack and have no really reliable scoring forward to feed off him. They’re winging it this year and it’s difficult to see anything other than another final loss, this time more comprehensively than their last two.

They’ve definitely played better en route to other finals, a few commentators are saying Andy Moran is giving them a new dimension but I don’t really see it. He’s still their most intelligent forward but he’s 33 (I think), can’t see him having enough gas to keep stretching the younger and more athletic Dublin backs. If Philly does a job on him hard to see Mayo getting the scores elsewhere unless AOS goes bananas altogether.

Through my fingers. Mayo still haven’t remotely enough to win the AI this year, pal.

I would love to see them win one but on today’s evidence they won’t.

We made a hero of Andy Moran, Andy fucking Moran.

You’re being a bit harsh on Andy Moran pal, while not what he was he’s still a fine footballer with a great brain.

Hard luck today, few make it to the mountain top on the first trip from the fire. Great years work, a lot to be proud of. Fuck the begrudgers, especially the one in particular here.

1 Like

2 things which were very disappointing from a Tipperary pov.

Letting Mayo go short too many times. When we made them kick it long we won a fair amount of breaking ball.

Our shooting from outside 30m’s was very poor. Mayo were really retreating into their own 21 yard line so tacking on some points from distance could have drawn them out.

A Mayo fan made a good point afterwards to me, we’ve struggled to beat lower division teams all championship so how will we beat Dublin or Kerry? He felt coming up today that they would push on and win convincingly today. They are rightly rattled after today.

It’s been a good year for them, promotion to Division 2 is very important now. It won’t be easy either with plenty of teams only too happy to take them down a peg or two.

Acheson will be a big loss next year

In relation to Moran, a bit harsh alright but his best days are behind him, he was Mayo’s best player in that 1st half.

He’s still got enough to get by for half an hour at the pace of the modern game. I suspect Tipp struggled a bit with the black card and from there, he made hay. His first score was a beaut.

Thanks for your kind words at this difficult time.