All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Der jaeger ist jetz die gejaegta.

Correct. It had to be said.

He can’t go more than abour three posts without mentioning Tyrone winning All Irelands in the last decade. I can only assume its all about trying to keep Ulster football relevant and talked about at the business end of the year as they have no representatives to do any talking on the field. What an awful state Ulster football is in. Of the ten finalists across the five big tournaments of the year, senior, U21, minor, club and national league, Ulster haven’t provided a single finalist. Munster have four, Connacht and Leinster three each.

1 Like

You’re the one bigging up a tradition of being the second best teams in separate consecutive decades of football.

If Mayo had blown a 5 point lead against Dublin at half time like Kerry did yesterday they would have been slaughtered for it.

Of the ten finalists across the five big tournaments of the year, senior, U21, minor, club and national league, Ulster haven’t provided a single finalist. Munster have four, Connacht and Leinster three each.
[/quote]

And that’s just the fistball😉

There he goes again, trying to work the Tyrone team of the last decade into the discussion again.

Mayo led Dublin by 4 points half way through the second half of the semi final replay last year and lost by 7. Apart from attention seeking loudmouths like Joe Brolly, there was general acceptance that the turnaround was largely down to a great Dublin team going up the gears at the business end of proceedings.

1 Like

You’re the one bigging up Kerry’s tradition Geoff.

I’m pointing out the absurdness of you, yesterday, lauding Kerry’s tradition as they bottled a 5 point HT lead against Dublin and lost to them for the 4th successive time in Championship.

You won’t be deflecting me onto any other path until you acknowledge your bullshit for what it is.

Is Kerry’s tradition bottling things?

We are talking about a team to rival the great Kerry team here.

Another Kerry team, the present one, gave them one hell of a game.

How many present kerry lads would make the 75-86team?

Gooch

Thats it i’d say. Kerry did an awesome job yesterday

1 Like

Technically not still playing but Tomas O’Se would have been on it.

Should do a thread an the greatest Kerry side between the two eras.

Outstanding me hole, they bottled it big style.

You’re being harsh on the current team assuming that your inclusion of Gooch means they’re being judged at their peak. There was always a few average enough players on those great kerry teams.

Absolutely impossible to judge really. They more or less playing two different sports

Aidan o Mahony would have been on the great Kerry side. That Era would have suited him miles more :joy:

2 Likes

A tradition of hogging the roll call of the greatest players to play the game and winning 37 All Ireland titles hardly needs bigging up.

The true strength of the Kerry tradition is in many ways best seen by what Eamonn Fiztmaurice has done with Kerry in the four years of his tenure. The likes of Meath 1996-99, Galway 1998-2001, Tyrone 2003-08 all fell off a cliff (and still remain off it) after winning a few All Irelands and seem happy enough presently to continue to wallow in those increasingly distant glory days.

Fitzmaurice during his tenure has had to contend with the retirements of three of the mainstays of the most successful team of the 00s - Tomas O’Se, Paul Galvin and Declan O’Sullivan and the declining powers of veterans like Marc O’Se, Colm Cooper and Kieran Donaghy. Despite the current generation of Kerry player not been anywhere near that level, he’s managed to land an All Ireland and repeatedly push this great Dublin team to its limits. The Kerry tradition doesn’t allow for wallowing in former successes. There’s another All Ireland title to be won every year and Kerry want it every year and do their utmost to get it every year.

3 Likes

A tradition of blowing 5 point leads at HT and being knocked out of the Championship 4 years in 5 by the same team?

1 Like

For as long as I’ve been watching football kerry have won soft All Irelands against the likes of the Mayos and Corks of this world. Perennial bottlers scared of tradition underpinned by abject failure. But when it was put up to them by Tyrone in the noughties or Dublin in recent times they have wilted. Clutch players like Kevin McMenamin and his namesake Ryan from Tyrone could get inside kerrys heads and past generations of Kerry yerrahs who would be have public meltdowns in the media. A small microcosm of this was seen yesterday. The golden boy of kerry football the Gooch had a chance to put some day light between themselves and Dublin. A relatively easy chance that he has put over thousands of times before. Not only does he miss but he drops it into cluxtons hands. Moments later the umpire is waving the white flag down the hill 16 end.

Only for Cluxton acting the prick before halftime the dubs would have won by 15 points. Now lock the thread.

2 Likes

I’ll throw @gilgamboa into this answer as well.

AOM is a good call. And i honestly forgot he started.

@backinatracksuit yes i think we say at their peak so just for less argument. However my point was on the team as they were yesterday. If dublin win final i think they can be compared at least to their own great team and arguably Kerrys. Different era. I think its over played how harder it is now. It is in ways but tgere is a 2nd chance now and Kerry had to beat genuinely good and motivated Cork teams.

I’m still at Gooch, Marc O’Se (with these parameters) and certainly would hear a case for Mahoney.
Geaney and Donaghy are the only ones near consideration and i think Bomber beats Donaghy all day long. Geaney is good and would be a top footballer in any era. Just how could you lose Mikey Sheehy or Ogie or Ger Power or Egan or Spillane? No way.

Maybe the greatest team ever though.

Don’t get the atii kerry stance. Its completely illogical as well.

Oh hold on. Now i know why…

Kerry were gifted 8 points by cluxton and lost by 2
A dreadful team when team put it up to them

3 Likes

They shit their togs like Boycott.

3 Likes