All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Very harsh on Penrose.

He was an excellent player.

This is nembo type of arguing and justification. I’d step away if i were you.

Many of us have made the mistake.

I have nade the decision to be.more like @Gman with just the odd rare argument but to slio away again then for a few weeks.

1 Like

Eventually. His decision making was cat for years

Brosnan was excellent.

Tyrone and Kerry had less “useful” players and more great players, as did Armagh up to '06.

It’s that simple.

There really is no argument that can be made that Dublin’s players in that era were as good as Tyrone’s, Kerry’s and Armagh’s and even a cursory glance through the line ups of the time will show that.

You put them in the top 2 or 3???

Dublin were clearly the second best team in Ireland in 2007, despite not having the second best group of players. As I said previously, Kerry had to dig very deep to beat them by two points in a terrific semi-final.

Top 4 minimum in 2006, probably top 3.

Be yourself Kev. It would only cause you mental anguish if you weren’t true to your own ways. Plus I’d fear for your clients/teams if you didn’t get all your arguments out here.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:
Touchè

No harm in learning or evolving

1 Like

When the bus is on strike you run to work instead

3 Likes

Theory: The best place for Mayo to be with ten minutes left is having to make up a small points deficit, ie 1 or 2.

Based on the theory that Dublin tend to look more vulnerable defending a lead (Mayo 2013, Mayo 2015 (draw), Kerry 2015, Donegal 2016) than coming from behind when their momentum is very difficult to stop (Kerry 2011, Kerry 2013, Mayo 2015 (replay) and Kerry 2016), on the theory that when a team gets a run on Dublin they can have a meltdown for at least 10-15 minutes (Mayo 2012, Kerry 2013, Donegal 2014, Mayo 2015 (draw), Kerry 2016), on the theory that Mayo are not good at defending a lead (Dublin 2012, Kerry 2014 (draw and replay), Dublin 2015 (replay)), and on the theory that momentum in the last 10 minutes may tip the balance of the result (Armagh 2002, Tyrone 2008, Cork 2010, Dublin 2011).

Discuss.

The best place for Mayo to be with ten minutes left would be 20+ points up. Conclusion; theory rejected.

7 Likes

Different Dublin. Dublin even back in 2011 would have lost the semi to Kerry.

They are clutch last 10. Thats not saying Mayo can’t win an end-to-end. It may come down to how many mins the ref adds on and what way its swinging.

But to be comfortable i think Mayo need 3 goals and a 4-5 point lead at around 65 mins.

Yes, but this is based on the proviso that prayers from Mayo people at Knock shrine won’t have an effect on the result, pal.

Yeah, but the bottom line is they didn’t lose any of those games.

1 Like

@TreatyStones, what’s the weather forecast for Sunday? I’ve been unfairly asked to confirm whether I want a ticket for the match or not by close of business today (cc @mickee321) but I’d much prefer to see how I feel on the day and how cold/rainy it is.

Worst case scenario you can join me in the Big Tree or some such bar pal and hawk your ticket to some roaster from Mayo

Periods of rain currently forecast

But they looked vulnerable defending leads in all four and past results are no guarantee of future ones.

Dublin were all over the place in the last 10-12 minutes of the drawn game last year and were only saved by Mayo’s lack of killer instinct.

Mayo for me have to engineer a situation where they run in waves at Dublin, put them firmly on the back foot in the last 10 minutes giving virtually no time to recover - the supporting evidence shows Dublin can have serious meltdowns if you apply real pressure to them.

The most likely scenario for that to happen is if Mayo are chasing the game, but they need to be firmly within striking distance at the same time, sort of like Armagh in 2002, who were another team who were not good at defending leads but good at coming from behind in the last 10-15 minutes in close games, as well as having a similar weight of history on their shoulders.

I’ll buy one off you for €5 under face value, pal.

Best place for Mayo would have been a narrow defeat to Tyrone.