All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Dublin are expecting O’Shea on the edge of the square early according to one of the players. Irish times today saying that Dublin are most vulnerable in the second and third quarters and that’s when AOS should move inside. I’m inclined to agree. Also for the reason that if they start AOS on the inside line and rain balls in and nothing comes of it and he has shift outside to midfield or centre forward empty handed (or with his tae in a mug) then it saps energy and morale from the team.

Second quarter of games has been fertile hunting ground for Mayo in games this year, but in those periods AOS tended to moved out to centre forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDmpmOy5qAk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0ekm4w99U

Apart from the obvious (thanks @Julio_Geordio) I think Dublin too good at retaining possession to expect you can overhaul a deficit coming up to full time

1 Like

It’s more the energy levels I think. I don’t think anyone can match their fitness, if they can, they can’t match their depth. Dublin fitness and fresh players that would be starting on any other team in the country steamrolls exhausted teams in the final minutes.

1 Like

Its very obvious without too much analysis or re-watching that AOS is more effective at 11 and Mayo are a better team with him there.

They seem to “spare” him though. Which i think is flawed approach.

Most definitely. More dynamism to their attacks when he’s out the field. Off the top of my head, the only game I remember being influenced in any major way by him being at full forward was Donegal last year.

Temptatiin, even at that level (Kerry were guilty of it) is to just fuck ball in on top of someone like that. But he struggles to turn. If he can get on the end of pop oasses fron Moran he could cause wreck.

Trying Barry Moran in there may also work. Best of both worlds. Donal Vaughan also.

But generally Dublin are far better served under long ball than anyone is giving them credit for.

For all the talk of the luck of players available at one time(there is an element of that) etc they have been superbly coached and have surrmounted most hurdles even with significant losses.

Helps having a few crazy bastards like Cooper & McMahon who will do anything to be better.

Still think if you can move O’Sullivan around and don’t allow him as much brain time/space to organise and cover then the Dublin defence is vulnerable. Last few minutes of first half against Kerry showed a few weak spots
Mayo need to close off Kilkenny too which Kerry did and Donegal did not do

I think Dubs have too much going forward though and Mayo won’t stop them

Ya but i think he is immune to being oushed up on. Anytime it happens Cooper & McMahon get even more attacking.

He is simply there like Baressi was for years. Schooling lads, marking space and making the odd interception.

I agree. Think its foolish to back against dubs. However a Mayo win would not shock me.

It was remarked upon during the semi-final. Started him inside and Tipp built up a lead, moved him out and Mayo took control. Inside again for start of second half and Tipp reduced the gap. Brought him out and Mayo padded out the lead and saw out the game comfortably. Is he just too big and unfit to last 70 minutes in the thick of it out the field or is it simply a tactical ploy to vary his role during games? What is your feeling on this?

Cooper and McMahon energy levels are off the wall. Both of them can be got at - Kerry cooper did it to cooper in first game and concentration went.

Intriguing game awaits if Mayo can perform. Always interesting to see how teams go to take on Dublin.

Would they be asthmatic?

1 Like

Marty Morrissey working out in Philly McMahon’s gym on Six One sports news there. That was a very funny report. :clap:

They would want their heads examined if they don’t have exercise induced asthma

No it wasn’t

I thought Jonny Cooper was outstanding against Kerry? Possibly his best ever game for Dublin

2 Likes

Some bull and guff spouted by fistball pundits . Some buck on Newstalk mentioned "energy management ". To be fair the hurling boys don’t spout as much shit.

Given the complete absence of skill in the game they have to talk about something.