All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Frank will surely get Cork home advantage or that switched to Killarney as a neutral venue based on tradition alone
i think its difficult for fellas who havent grown up in traditional ( ok im from a soccer town but played a lot of football) cork GAA culture when Cork were winning and concepts like “playing Longford” let alone “having to actually go to Longford” were simply unheard of,
@caoimhaoin is well versed in County board culture and id say he can imagine the look on Frank’s face at the thought of the ignominy of having to go to play Longford, not in a national league game which would be bad enough but to actually have to go there on a Saturday for a championship game in July is actually surreal for these lads…
did we last play longford in the 88/89 NFL div2?
My father an awful man, went to Limerick and Cork on saturday, he left 15 mins into the wexford game as it was shite he said and was pissed off with the limerick performance and wanted to get down for the Ramblers game at 8 o clock, now he tells me that Cork “looked allright” and can score from anywhere but the standard of the opposition as me an @TreatyStones know was not great …
He reckons Cork will do damage if they get their act together…
i backed them now at 25/1 to win the all ireland,
who knows, wasnt it the same thing in 2010… scraping past limerick AET, stuttering over Roscommonan and then ure in a semi,
cork will beat longford, luck will have them drawing galway/roscommon/westmeath who are all shite… catch tyrone and beat donegal in the semi… stranger things lads…

1 Like

Ballsy call.

Jim McGuinness giving out about defensive football here.

One consequence of the O’Shea incident is that it was completely lost in the post match discussion that Sean Quigley played the man, not the ball, in the lead up to his goal. That was completely missed by the referee as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqfYDuoI2_Q

In his book Jim gives the impressions that he believes his system was set up to win the ball back and hit the opposition on the counter attack.

Obviously he believes his own mantra but it’s more than a little hypocritical to come out against it then.

One things that is obvious about all of the tactical ‘systems’ being deployed in the GAA is that there’s only so long before the ‘system’ gets figured out or copied. The teams, in both codes, that concentrate on honing their skills (Kilkenny, Tipperary, Kerry and Dublin) remain at the top regardless.

2 Likes

He is totally right. How is he hypicritical? Its the fucking morons copying him are the issue.

Donegals system was always over played. As he said himself, he had a number of outstanding players. Particularly forwards.

He is right about culture too. Galway in particular are mad to go the way they have. If your own people don’t accept you then they won’t support you. As soon as it fails for Galway you will see the vultures out.

On a side note, the Mayo players are not working as hard as they did even last year for their new manager. In their present guise the top teams would score 3-4 goals on them.

Quigley.

And he doesnt really, he goes for the ball, he doesnt deviate from his path. the fact that the Mayo full back was too weak to hold his ground and dived is of no relevance. If that is a free then the legend of Seamus Darby is long gone.

3 Likes

In any invasion ball sport the transition from attack to defence and vice Versa is often what separates the best teams. What do you do in ten seconds after you win ball, what do you do in ten seconds after you lose ball. One thing to plan and then you need players conditioned enough to implement the plan

McGuinness focused on that and they evolved but they were set up to defend and once they got ahead they strangled games

1 Like

Only because i believe that they played with one or two forwards in far more games than he alludes to. Granted Rory Kavanagh refers to the fact, in his own book, that the players played far more defensively than McGuinness wanted them to in a number of games.

From the rule book:

The Tackle

The Tackle is re-defined as:
“The Tackle is a skill by which a player may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the Rules of Fair Play. The tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. The tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact (such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge) is forbidden. The only deliberate physical contact can be a Fair Charge i.e. Shoulder-to-shoulder with at least one foot on the ground. More than one player can tackle the player in possession.”

Quigley clearly leaned into the full back in order to push him away from the ball and gain an advantage.

But the full back didn’t have the ball. So thT rule is for a different situation.

Nothing at all wrong with quigleys goal

1 Like

I think this might be the sport for you.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

You may flesh that out a bit more Kev because no one said that the tackler had the ball.

The full back was going for the ball and Quigley initiated deliberate contact which is forbidden. if doesn’t say anything in the definition about the player having to be in possession of the ball.

The tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact (such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge) is forbidden. The only deliberate physical contact can be a Fair Charge i.e. Shoulder-to-shoulder with at least one foot on the ground. More than one player can tackle the player in possession.”

invasion?

incorrect.

Darby used his arse, Quigley uses his arm nothing to do with strength when you are pushed. What difference does deivating from his path make? quigley played the ball after pushing his man. An awful forward bias from @gman.

I have no problem with Darby’s goal which was not a free, this is a completely different type of passage of play.

One complaint the full back can have is that he was caught the wrong side of Quigley.

These are of course all opinions…but the contrast between the O’shea penalty and the Quigley goal is ridiculous.

1 Like

You gave the tackle rule you plonker. Someone needs the ball for there to be a tackle.

Jesus H Christ.

Ya very strange

Yeah versus say tennis where you don’t invade other sides territory

1 Like

Did you read the whole definition?

The Tackle is re-defined as:
“The Tackle is a skill by which a player may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the Rules of Fair Play. The tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. The tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact (such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge) is forbidden. The only deliberate physical contact can be a Fair Charge i.e. Shoulder-to-shoulder with at least one foot on the ground. More than one player can tackle the player in possession.”