All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2016

It has in its hole. Also he was an innocent victim of a disgraceful system.

Ollie Baker and Joe Dooley’s on the other hand are gold plated.

Ollie Baker looks like a miracle worker.

Hard to argue with that pecking order. You forgot Carlow though. They’d probably slot in between Kerry & Westmeath?

danny nail will never forgive me. you’d have to put them below westmeath going on the lakers showing

And if you believe that cock and bull story

I think the joke is on you for believing he believed it.

LOL
LOL
ROFL
ROFL

Very funny.

Today was actually the 21st meeting of Offaly and Westmeath in the Leinster Championship. The record now stands at Offaly 13 wins, Westmeath 8 wins.

1 Like

what is?

Of course legendary Waterford manager Michael Scully Ryan must take most of the credit for Westmeaths resurgence.

2 Likes

There won’t be a tyre left in Westmeath

6 Likes

The Offaly manager Eamon Kelly left Kerry last year to join Offaly.

Carey & Foley will now be seen as shrewd managers for building on Kelly’s legacy and could well get a shot at the Limerick job. Meanwhile Kelly takes over a rabble in Offaly and his stock plummets to the point where he’s unlikely to get another intercounty job anytime soon.
Of course the truth is in the middle somewhere for all concerned.

It’s a funny old game the manager business.

What would happen if Kerry top the round robin and draw Galway in the Quarter finals? Assume they would make both teams travel to Portlaoise or somewhere like that rather than give one side home advantage?

Correct. Home advantage goes to the side who comes out of the Round Robin. However this is not extended to the blow in counties we allow the honour of competing in the Leinster Championship. Tullamore or Portlaoise the most likely, but hey, Nowlan Park seems to be in vogue with the Leinster Council of late, so it could be there either.

I assume that they would have it as a double header with one of the other games. I couldn’t see many from either county travelling to Portlaoise or Tullamore to watch Kerry v Galway

I imagine if Offaly make it through with Kerry, it will be a double header in Tullamore. If Westmeath make it through its hard to see Mullingar holding a double header, but I could be wrong. Portlaoise is probably out as it gives Laois home advantage. But I’m just surmising really.

So Kilkenny have built a system around combatting short passing and short puck outs. They’ve done this for 10 years starting with the 2006 final and have been successful for most of those 10 years.

Waterford and Clare are the only two contenders inside 10/1[Powers] that aren’t working with a new management team and are best placed to challenge for an AI. Asking Galway or Tipp to win an AI in their first year with a new coach is a tough ask.

If you are trying to win an AI, surely you plan for beating the benchmark/reigning champions.
With that in mind:
Why do Clare and Waterford focus on playing a system that Kilkenny have consistently broken down in the championship over the years?
Why is there a belief that something that hasn’t worked for 10 years will magically work this year?

:joy:

They are re-inventing hurling stupid.

1 Like

Ok, but while they are re-inventing it they actually want to win as well right?

You’d presume that is the goal alright… as you say… Waterford won’t get near winning an AI with that system…Clare can play a more expansive game tho but got sucked into a shitball throwing contest Sunday - Most teams will do when they face Waterford.