All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2016

The Munster Championship is a waste of time but as with everything else the Munster folk have taken way too long to figure this out. We in Leinster figured out the futility of the provincial championships a long time ago and that is why we have won nearly 65% of all-Irelands since the back door system was introduced

2 Likes

I know mate, all those batings handed out to shite Kilkenny teams over the last two decades only for yis to sneak in the back door without anyone noticing and claim the odd All Ireland.
From our perspective, it would certainly help to be playing a regular set of championship matches against teams from every province, instead of a crap game against Dublin and then a qualifier six weeks later (at which point most it will come as a surprise to most Wexford people that we’re still in the championship). It’s all become a bit silly really. Galway and Kerry, doyens of Leinster hurling, will no doubt agree.

1 Like

Same as Kerry footballers in 70’s/80’s

I would have thought it was more.

Honestly don’t think the backdoor has much to do with the dominance of Kilkenny, Cork, Tipp, which is really more about the dominance of Kilkenny anyway. The only team to break that run was Clare, who won their All-Ireland through the backdoor.

Only Galway in 2012 and Waterford in 2007 were arguably denied by the qualifier system. But Kilkenny were only in the qualifiers in 2012 because Galway were in Leinster. Wouldn’t have happened under the old system. Waterford in 2007 probably have a stronger case. But there’s no way you could state with confidence that they would have beaten that Kilkenny team in the final. Evidence probably points in the other direction.

Waterford were beaten in 02 and 04 by qualifiers having won the Munster Championship, as were Wexford in 04.

Under the old system you would have had 2 of Waterford, Wexford and Galway in the final in 04 which would have been epic whichever way it panned out.

1 Like

Never thought of '04. That’s one alright.

I’ve no gripe with the qualifier system, if you are good enough you’ll win it, but it has taken some of the fire out of the provincial championships knowing there’s another crack in it for the losers.

#championsleagueformat

4 groups of three. Two to go through. Straight knockout after that.

04 is the worst case, with Wexford & Waterford winning the provincial championships

That would be nice and to the point.
I’d argue that if they keep the current system, the all Ireland champions should not be allowed a back door.

The Munster championship is fine, thanks.

1 Like

If Begley and O’Shaughnessy made shit of Prendergast & Kearney; imagine what Brennan and Shefflin would have done to them?

That Waterford team didn’t have an All-Ireland winning full-back line, as much quality as they had elsewhere.

I’m not too sure Brian Cody would have figured out that hitting the ball long and high on top of lads that can’t catch a ball would work.

Add in the great Donie Ryan[quote=“Aristotle, post:615, topic:21107, full:true”]
If Begley and O’Shaughnessy made shit of Prendergast & Kearney; imagine what Brennan and Shefflin would have done to them?

That Waterford team didn’t have an All-Ireland winning full-back line, as much quality as they had elsewhere.
[/quote]

Kerry beat waterford in the early 90s

Its all ye ever will win

#giddy

Offaly giving Laois some hole opening.

Limerick going to walk this all Ireland

1 Like

Offay 3-21 Laois 1-14. Fuck sake.

Offaly 3-21 Laois 1-14 after 63 minutes.

Offaly GAA is BACK.