All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2016

We won’t know til later in the summer whether the Waterford game was a one off systems failure or whether it was down to more underlying issues with the players and management. From looking at 2016 in isolation you could argue it was the former but taking 2014 & 2015 into the equation it looks far more like the latter.

I said last year after the cork defeat that they looked like a group which are completely mirco managed, have no real leadership and are completely beholden to the manager. There were plenty if green shoots during the league, injuries probably played their part as it allowed others to stake a claim but against Waterford the old failings appeared again. Bizarre tactics and subs, a lack of balance in the team and a flatness in our hurling.

Every other team in the qualifiers aside from Westmeath and Offaly appear to be in much worse state of disarray than us and I would expect us to make the Q/Fs and that will be a real make or break game for this group of players and management against one of Tipp/Galway/Kilkenny.

You would have to feel that with Kinnerk, Og Cusack and O’Brien involved in the coaching that our hurling should be sharp as the year goes on but it is hard to see the shackles being taking off and a change in our style of hurling. I think that is why the team for this evening is somewhat underwhelming, a few lads simply haven’t performed consistently enough over the past few months and while I understand that you want to build loyalty and continuity in a group there also comes a time for big decisions to be made for the greater good. Why not start Tots for the injured McGrath or give Fitzgerald or one of the Duggans a go at wing forward or start Cunningham inside instead of O’Donnell or a number of other changes which could potentially freshen up the team rather than sticking to the tried and trusted which hasn’t really delivered in championship hurling since September 2013.

1 Like

Great to see cleary retained at 6. Interesting to see how Dave mc goes at midfield.

Erra stream knocking around for Wexford v Offaly?

1 Like

Yes.

We’re actually more useless than I remember against Dublin. Offaly will win this by 5 or 6

Offaly with a strong breeze and lead 0-04 to 0-01 after ten mins.

And Offaly just spurn a great goal chance.

Looked like a hurley was thrown

Yes should have been a free in or penalty

It happened so fast you’d forgive the ref for missing it but the umpire is standing literally two yards from it. Stone useless they are.

1 Like

Shut the fuck up, Anthony Daly.

4 Likes

Ah look it…

1 Like

Delivering every comment with a half chuckle. Painful listening.

1 Like

Wexford a little slow working the ball in front of goals there. Could easily have had two goals.

1 Like

Wexford belatedly motoring now.

O’Keeffe caught the ball three times in that run, no?

Offaly are so slow. They’re like a junior club team

FFS :joy:

Should never have been a penalty at least for the gammy way he held the hurley

Brain dead from the Offaly defender to concede that penalty. No need to dive in.

Penalty missed.

Amazing how many 1 v 1 penalties are being missed *

• It wasn’t missed!!