Alliance Football League 2019

#MayoforSam2019

I see the Tyrone Galway match being broadcast live on TG4 YouTube.

1 Like

cracking day - we are off to Pairc Tailteann - id expect Meath to have way too much for Fermanagh and win by +7 in front of a huge crowd
in other games Tipp will beat Clare and i cant see any way how cork will get a result in Armagh so cork and clare down
donegal kildare is impossible to call - a draw id say after kildare throw away a lead

3 Likes

Today is the most interesting GGA day of the year in that it is the one day of the year where a large of counties are relevant . The knock out stages of football and hurling leagues are broadly shite . RTE and TG4 should be showing live football today .

4 Likes

whilst good to see Tyrone , Tg4’s obsession with Galway who play atrocious football is annoying
two pretty hopeless hurling games live on the best football sunday of the year also, joke for lads who cant get to games

1 Like

TG4 are hq’d in Connemara mickee .

2 Likes

agreed - this is the best day of the GAA season
Sunday sport will be epic come 3pm and when the second half scores are coming in

“and now off to Pairc Tailteann for meath and kildare and John kenny, hahaha no i mean Fermangh, wooohhoo rory gallagher wont be happy with that will he,”

3 Likes

huge game for cork football today and its ongoing demise and this should be a feature game
i started following following the Royal Liver leagues in october 1987 when mayo used to play in Charlestown and Derry in Ballinascreen and i can never recall cork in division 3
i know they played longford and letrim in the league in feburary 1989 (the weekend of Noel mannions try in cardiff) and 1994 respectively but that was when those counties made div2 or in the case of 1994 there may have been a league restructuring that saw these fixtures crop up
cc @Sidney

2 Likes

there will be a MASSIVE crowd in Breffni Park today i predict

Cork won the league in 1989 and I presume they were in Division 1 at the time.

The 1992/93 season was made up of 4 equal divisions of 8 teams so maybe that’s when they played Longford and Leitrim?

Dublin have played Leitrim in the league a few times over the years. 1995 (Croke Park) and 1999 (Parnell Park) for definite as I attended both of those.

In 92/93 Dublin were in a group with Derry, Galway and a load of shit teams. Limerick and Antrim were two, I can’t remember the others, actually I’ve a feeling Waterford might have been one too.

Two teams from each division qualified for the quarter-finals.

This format was promptly dropped and 1993/94 returned to the conventional Divisions 1-4 format.

However the 1997/98 season revived the four equal divisions format. Dublin were in a group with Kerry, Cavan, Monaghan and Offaly as the main opposition.

Off the top of my head since 1987, football league formats have been as follows:

1987-1991 : Conventional Divisions 1-4 format
1991-1992: Three Division 1 “groups” of six teams each, Division 2 was two groups of seven teams each
1992-93: Four equal divisions of eight teams
1993-97: Conventional Divisions 1-4 format
1997-98: Same format as 1992-93
1998-2007: Two equal “Division 1” groups of eight teams each, two equal “Division 2” groups of eight teams each. Separate Division 1 and 2 finals
2007 - present: Conventional Divisions 1-4 format with separate finals for each division

In the conventional Divisions 1-4 format in the 80s and 90s, any team could win the league as the quarter-finals were made up as follows:
4 teams from D1
2 teams ffrom D2
1 team each from D3 and D4

1 Like

The Darren Frehill Mistake Watch thread is going to be box office today.

Roscommon are good odds at 7/2 today at home to Kerry. It is must win for them against a Kerry side who already have their league final spot secured. Roscommon have also been very good at home, beating Monaghan, drawing with Tyrone and running Dublin close.

I think I’m going to time my journey to coincide with this

Pocket calculator at the ready.

https://www.officespot.ie/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/S/H/SH02336_3.jpg

1 Like

I’d say he’s the sort of fella who will come in to RTE early today with the best intentions of having a firm grasp of the permutations. He’ll print off the tables/fixtures/tie breaker rules, get a red biro from the stationary cupboard and head down to the canteen to study up. But once he sits down with his latté and jambon, he’ll get distracted by having the bants with the lads at the next table or something. It’ll be 2pm and time to go to the studio before Darren remembers why he came in early in the first place.

3 Likes

+4 on the handicap is a cracking bet

Thats what its all about today

Kerry are not mathematically certain of their final place yet though it would take a big swing on score difference for Galway and Mayo to edge them out.

I won’t stick around for the second hurling match in Nowlan Park, straight back to the car to hear Darren and Jacqui guide us through the minefield that is the final day of the NFL season.

Plenty of teams will be incorrectly either relegated or promoted - or both - by the time the day is out.

It must be nerve-wracking for followers of counties who’s fates are decided on the final day.

I don’t know how lads can enjoy themselves while roaring at a mate "what’s the fuckin’ score from Breffni Park ya’ bollix… Fuckers… "

Best get your affairs sorted by round 5. cc @glenshane.

1 Like