Alliance Football League 2019

Of the 10 subs they named for the Tyrone game, 7 of them were well into their 30s. They included Eoghan O’Gara, who is 34 this year and hasn’t made a worthwhile contribution on the field in at least 2 years. There is plenty of encouragement there for the chasing pack.

Only the return of the prodigal son can rejuvenate the Dubs now. Is Gavin man enough to proffer the olive branch or has Connolly called it a day?

I don’t think it’s about being man enough… We don’t know what appetite connolly has for coming back… He maybe content with his 5 all irelands for Dublin…

Dublin are finished lads. Move on

The empire is crumbling.

This is exactly it. We have lost a number of great players and replaced them with good but not great players. It’s a team in decline the only question is are they going to be able to squeeze another all ireland out of themselves

The big thing in Dublin’s favour is the lack of opposition. Kerry are coming but are very young and probably a few years off their peak. Tyrone are probably a player or two short of really testing them. Monaghan are game but limited. Mayo will be there about’s but they have probably passed their peak, Galway are too negative to beat the Dubs IMO. Don’t think Donegal have the personnel either.

If this Dublin team ran up against the Mayo team of a few years back then I think they would be beaten. Similarly if they ran up against this Kerry team in two years or maybe even next year I think they would be beaten.

At the moment they are regressing slightly, but I don’t know if anyone is in place to take advantage just yet.
For the first time in a long time they might run into some reasonable opposition in Leinster in Kildare & Meath but if anything that will work in their favour, as they’ll get better games but neither will really test them either.

These are the kind of threads the Limerick lads can look forward to in 2022.

1 Like

Leinster is going is going to be box office in two or three years’ time, with Dublin, Meath and Kildare battling it out.

Dublin V Kerry in the AI final will be off the chain.

I think there is one sting left in that Mayo team… Refreshed after last years break… One almighty push this year… Can match it with anyone physically, just need a bit of luck in last 10 mins

1 Like

Lads, you can’t be reading too much into the league. All the teams bar Kerry so far have been Jekyll and Hyde. The thing about the league is that’s its quite rare the games mean as much to one team as it does the other, some teams have new management and burst themselves to prove themselves. Other teams need results much more than their opponents, others want to lay down markers ahead of the summer or want to get one over on a bogey team.

There are very worrying signs for Dublin that will need to rectify. I think the decline in some of their backs is becoming more obvious. Hunger could be another issue. They have plenty of time to fix these though and I think they have notice served for them now so I’d be surprised if they don’t fix most of these issues.

The lack of strength in depth is something that I feel is really worrying Gavin. He has tried a lot of new players in the league. Only Darren Gavin has made an impact.

Is he a son of the Galway midfielder @faldo

He is indeed…I would have played with and against his dad Fergal a decent football

1 Like

Thinly veiled “I was a county man” post by Faldo there.

1 Like

Nope…

Am I right in thinking that he wasn’t seen in a Galway jersey again after the incident between his brother Tommy, and Michael Donnellan was brushed under the carpet?

Ah I don’t know!!!some would have said he was luck to be on the panel at all that time but then again. Walsh and o dhonail were on top form at the same time…

Fergal was still playing for Galway in 2000. It was the emergence of his clubmate Bergin that saw him drop off the panel really, and the fact he was living in Dublin and had Darren at that stage. Tommy done the county board and Donnellan a good turn that time, I doubt it caused any issue for Fergal at all.

1 Like

Go away to fuck, those Mayo wankers couldn’t boil an egg nevermind win an AI.