Allianz Hurling League 2017 Division 1A Thread

He did at one stage, but that was a long time ago and it didn’t last long. He ran a phone shop for a while then. Someone told me what his latest gig is yesterday but I’ve forgotten.

Is it something in IT? Radius?

That’s nothing. Clare trained for six hours on the morning of the 1998 League semi-final against Cork so that they could deliberately tank that day.

They walloped Cork seven weeks later in the Munster semi-final.

That never happened (the first part)
Urban (rural) myth right??

It did and is well documented . Think it was in Templemore . Imagine if this place was going in 1998 .

Almost certain that I read recently enough that that was a load of tosh, I’d heard the story loads of times and assumed it was true enough.
Did Loughnane debunk it in his recent long radio interview with off the ball?

Think it is well documented in Denis Walsh’s book .

“That soft centre, for so long their undoing, once again raised its unwelcome head,”

Aside from the normal reasons, why does gerlock hate Tipp so much?

Cunts be hating.

I’d listen to a McGrath interview any day ahead of a Cody interview

2 Likes

:smile:

2 Likes

I think it was Noel Skehan who said a goalkeeper should never have to dive for any shot. That he should always be positioned in a way that the ball will be within the hurley’s reach.

Gas. I’d say he just flips a coin and decides what way he’ll go with it every Sunday evening.

We will stay up. We have loads more to bring and half our team still to come back

I’ve the story right so. I was told by a Waterford college mate of mine who would have been knocking around the County panel during the Justin era that Browne was approached and offered a few handy quid to lend his name to an estate agent in Waterford. A simple deal really; The Estate Agents would use Browne’s high profile via pictures and advertising on property signs “Phone Tony Browne on 087 xxxxxx” etc. Provided him with a phone and all. For his part, Tony simply had to direct all interest in properties to HQ.

Almost 6 weeks in and not one phonecall to HQ from Tony. This despite numerous calls to HQ with interest on relevant properties, and a few saying Tony’s number was ringing out. Boss man rings Tony. “Tony, what’s the story with not answering the phone, we have a few people on to us saying it’s constantly ringing out?” Tony, cool as you like and without a hint of sarcasm or wit, answers “Ah no it’s just that I don’t answer private numbers or numbers I don’t know”. The boss man was speechless and hung up the phone.

Whether tis true or not tis a handy yarn

3 Likes

Sounds a bit Trigger McAteerish. I’ll call bullshit.

Is Calvin coming back?

I enjoyed it anyway! :smile:

1 Like

Good story bit reminded me of the old McAteer gag about cutting the pizza into 4 slices cause he’d never manage 8.

1 Like