Allianz National Football League 2022

Is Peter Crowley totally finished?

He retired last year I think. Would Morley be a weak spot at 6?

Can’t see him having the discipline or physicality to hold the centre

I was talking to a Kerry football connoisseur a couple of weeks ago and he was giving out about the likes of Moynihan and Burns still getting a game.

Says they aren’t up to it.

Burns wasn’t even starting for Crokes in the 2017 All-Ireland club final if I remember correctly. Never got the hype around him. Is Moynihan related to Seamus? He was the main man against St. Peter’s in the 2017 schools final I think.

Moynihan is a fine player; Kerry’s issue is not the likes of Burns or Moynihan, it’s the one that is repeatedly pointed out- their backs are largely unspectacular. Decent footballers but not great defenders.

Maybe Okunfor could do a job as a man marker.

Fergal Byron’s chap making his league debut tomorrow for Laois. Time waits for no man.

Jack Barry still getting a game for Kerry is hardly reassuring from their pov.

2 Likes

Truth is, Mayo were more concerned with being seen to stand up to you than sticking to what they were supposed to be doing

Philly McMahon
There’s a reason why teams keep losing finals and I always felt we had stronger leaders in our squad and a better environment

Image Gallery 0 2
February 19 2022 2:30 AM

I read something recently about England’s ‘Golden Generation’; – Beckham, Owen, Lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry and Cole – and how generally they performed below the sum of their talent when it came to the big tournaments.
Michael Owen had an interesting take on it.

“The media and crowds had this bulldog identity – they wanted to see the players chasing everything, being physical, playing at a hundred miles an hour and showing passion.

“But that was not the way successful international teams played. When we tried to slow the play down, we would be criticised for a lack of passion and showing no fight.”

At half-time in the 2020 All-Ireland final, we were going down the tunnel at the same time as the Mayo players, one of whom was Cillian O’Connor.

He’d just missed a free and, ever the opportunist, I reminded him about it as he walked past.

Within two seconds, I had three of them on top of me, raring to go. Frothing at the mouth.

It petered out in a couple of seconds but they were raging. Childish? Maybe. But there was a method to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
They went off to cool down while I went into our dressing-room delighted with myself that I had three of them out of their zone, thinking about me instead of something actually important.

I like to read different studies on why certain teams are successful and others aren’t, despite the apparent similarities, and one of the ideas that fascinates me is the notion of an ‘identity vacuum’.

GAA Newsletter
Exclusives from under the skin of the GAA, from Ireland’s largest and best GAA team; Brolly, Mullane, Hogan and Ó Sé, to name but a few.

Now, the great thing about these theories is you can apply them to anything in hindsight.

But hear me out.

Because my working theory is that Mayo suffer this particular affliction and it’s part of the reason they’ve failed to get over the line and win an All-Ireland.

Michael Owen said something similar about that England team.

“The media shaped how we saw ourselves,” he reckoned. “There was no other version provided within the team. Players were scared of making mistakes and being vilified by the media.

“The performances became more about quietening the media rather than a sense of our own story.”

ADVERTISEMENT
How does that happen?

Read More

Colm Boyle: ‘I was hitting 34, cruciate gone, I was fairly sure that was my last year. It was emotional’
I suspect a few Dublin players might use Mayo board‘s ‘arrogance’ comment to stoke dressing room fires
Your team’s identity comes from two things: your leaders and your environment.

If either aren’t quite right, players aren’t always sure what they stand for and outside influences – media, fans, individual interests – become an issue. You get distracted.

The leaders in your squad are the chiefs. They influence the group by telling stories, literally or by their actions.

They personify the identity of the whole effort. How the squad sees itself. What they’re about. They’re a touchstone for all your behaviours.

Everybody else takes their lead from them. Now that’s not something you can contrive. It’s a naturally occurring phenomenon.

It wasn’t even something I noticed when I played, but I can look back and recognise it now for what it was.

What you can’t have is your collective identity being determined by someone who puts themselves before the team. A leader with an ego.

ADVERTISEMENT
We were blessed. Stephen Cluxton was captain for most of my career. Jim Gavin was manager. Everything both of those fellas did was done in the best interests of the team.

People talk a lot about values now when it comes to teams.

We knew exactly what our values were because when we looked to the sideline or back to our own goalmouth, we saw the people to epitomise what we did.

I never got that same feeling from Mayo. Don’t get me wrong. They have some brilliant players, guys who have stood up and produced stunning performances in huge games.

But I’m not sure who their chiefs are.

You can never really tell what goes on inside another team’s camp. But you sense things.

I’ve always felt that we had stronger leaders than Mayo and a better environment.

Between the 2012 All-Ireland semi-final and last year’s semi-final, we played Mayo 17 times and their inability to win any of those games defies any real sporting logic.

ADVERTISEMENT
As does their failure to win any of the seven All-Irelands they’ve played in since 2012.

I’m a big believer that games are won and lost before they’re played.

You can be as meticulous as you want and break any defeat into its constituent parts. But, really, if your team underperforms repeatedly in finals, it’s probably something that can’t be expressed in possession stats or conversion rates.

On the biggest days with the loudest noise, you need the strongest identity.

Otherwise, you play the occasion. You become afraid to make mistakes for fear of being vilified. You play to the crowd. You’re a hostage to the environment. You believe what supporters say and the media writes about you.

When a manager doesn’t recognise this, they go after the technical and the tactical side of a performance, looking for improvement.

They get caught up in the specific details because they can’t identify that they all come from the same place.

ADVERTISEMENT
Every Mayo team I ever played was physically strong. They were technically sound and, tactically, were at least a match for us.

But were they as singularly focused?

Last year, at full-time in the All-Ireland semi-final, one of their players came on the pitch and grabbed me to get involved in a row that not only had nothing to do with him, it had nothing to do with me.

Now I don’t know what the motivation is there, but I suspect it had something to do with settling old scores and with a bit of posturing thrown in.

Which is fine. But to me, that comes from ego.

There was no other point in getting involved. No benefit to it other than keeping up appearances.

Truth is, there were always certain Mayo players that were easy to wind up.

You could take them out of their stride because they were more concerned with being seen to be standing up to you than sticking to what they were supposed to be doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
That was my read on them anyway. And we got plenty of exposure to one another.

As rivalries go, it was intense.

Sometimes things went too far. All’s fair in love and war and all that but some of the worst things ever said to me on a pitch came in those matches. One in particular.

But you cool off a bit when you stop playing.

Tom Parsons summed it up well on Michael Darragh Macauley’s Laochra Gael episode recently when he talked about how they hated each other on the pitch but it melted away when they retired.

It’s funny. I’ve been asked to give talks about addiction in every county in Ireland several times over but the only place I’ve never been invited to is Mayo!

That’s OK, though. Time heals all wounds. Or most of them anyway. Mayo’s fans are amazing an

2 Likes

Never a good pitch on a dry day to say the least

Okunbor picked up a nasty injury recently didn’t he? Yeah I’d agree that Moynihan is decent enough and he’s still quite young too. Not overly sold on Burns. Could be a Barry John Keane type figure for Kerry.

Burns isn’t up to it at this stage IMO. I’m surprised they haven’t given Paul O Shea more of a run, he’s a good prospect

I’d say only about 3 or 4 Kerry players would make the Dublin team if everyone was fit and available.

He’s hooked a few lads here with it on another thread already…he’s an awful scoundrel …

2 Likes

Armagh mixing the sublime with the ridiculous here

2 balls on the pitch a lot here

Armagh have fizzled out earlier than usual this year

I don’t wish to appear an absolute cynic but I have serious reservations about those two Spillane chaps cutting it at senior level. Granted they were both fine minors and the breeding line is strong but they just don’t seem to be up to it. I’ve seen Killian net a crucial goal on a big day but……

Game on Ger

Lol out of absolutly nothing